News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Shawn Arlia

new member from ohio
« on: July 08, 2009, 07:18:12 PM »
Shawn Arlia
age 37
Three daughters 17, 12, 10
Cleveland Ohio
Home Course(s) Sleepy Hollow and Mannakki
Handicap 5

Hello everybody. I just wanted to introduce myself. Ive been a lurker for many years now, and its great to finally be able to participate in the conversations. I ve been a golf course architecture junkie for almost 20 years. Im public course golfer and my two home courses were designed by Stanley Thompson (sleepy hollow) and Donald Ross (mannakki). Both are excellent golf courses. I have several golf books, including Tom Doak's Confidential Guide, also Golf Courses of the British Isles, Spirit of St. Andrews, Golf Courses of Canada, and few others that dont come to mind. We re fortunate up here in northeast ohio because we have some exciting public golf courses which are reasonably priced. I ve played every golf course in golf digest's best public golf courses for Ohio. Some i agree, and others i dont. Anyways, i look forward to being involved with the discussions, and maybe one day, i ll get to meet some of you.

Chris_Blakely

Re: new member from ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
Shawn,

Welcome aboard.  As for playing magazines top courses, I know you would have trouble playing all the best golf courses in Ohio in Golf Magazine's list - 2 of them are private!!! ;D

Chris

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:24:24 PM »
Welcome to the board!

Any experience with Lakewood CC in Westlake?
H.P.S.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 07:26:31 PM »
Two courses in the Cleveland area that just went public that you may enjoy are Spring Valley CC and Aurora G&CC.

Chris

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »
Dear Shawn,

Welcome to the GOLFCLUBATLAS.com DG (Discussion Group) where every day is like a barroom brawl in Dodge City on a Friday night just after the cowboys got paid.

Sincerely,
Tom Paul

;)  :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 07:49:45 PM »
Welcome aboard Shawn,

Any chance you can get me access to your home courses?

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ron Csigo

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 08:06:29 PM »
Welcome to the group Shawn.  Get your gloves on and just start swinging. ;)
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:10:34 PM »
Welcome aboard Shawn,

Pretty rough for a welcoming statement.....

Anyway, welcome Shawn. Once we get that Buckeye pollution out of your system you'll start to see things more clearly..... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 08:46:04 PM »
Welcome aboard Shawn,

Pretty rough for a welcoming statement.....

Anyway, welcome Shawn. Once we get that Buckeye pollution out of your system you'll start to see things more clearly..... ;D

Joe

Come on Joe, keep up. ;D He wrote that his two home courses were public courses. ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Hancock

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 08:51:07 PM »
Man...I'm slippin'......

Must be the bulldozer withdrawals are affecting my other faculties.......

Mea culpa (that's French for "how you say sorry in Latin")

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Brent Carlson

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »
Shawn - welcome aboard.  Unless you're a fan of the hairless nuts ;)

Sam Maryland

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 09:09:34 PM »
LMFAO...best intro reception yet!!  Think I'll go buy some lottery tix, stars are clearly aligned.  What's the over/under until Shawn posts again?!?  ;-)

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 09:28:15 PM »
 8) Greetings Shawn..

never mind Granpa Joe Hancock, he drinks too much gypsum saturated water out of sprinker systems in Grand Rapids..

Ever Play in Toledo? At Ottawa Park or the CC rota there?

What's status of old Quail Hollow Resort course in Painesville?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Criss Titschinger

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 09:33:55 PM »
We re fortunate up here in northeast ohio because we have some exciting public golf courses which are reasonably priced. I ve played every golf course in golf digest's best public golf courses for Ohio. Some i agree, and others i dont.

Welcome aboard, Shawn!  Do you have a favorite public course in Ohio?  I haven't had the opportunity to play a lot in the Cleveland area, though I keep on hearing great things about The Quarry. Unfortunately, I couldn't get on when I visited this past week.  Ended up playing Shale Creek, which I thought was a pretty solid modern design.

I would say the public selection in the Northeast corner of the state pretty easily beats what we have down here in the Southwest.  Thank goodness for my proximity to Indiana and Kentucky courses :)

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 09:36:13 PM »
8) Greetings Shawn..

never mind Granpa Joe Hancock, he drinks too much gypsum saturated water out of sprinker systems in Grand Rapids..

But Steve....that water is the reason my wife nicknamed me "The Stalagmite"...........never underestimate the power of gypsum, my friend.

Shawn, have any good mineral water down your way?

:)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 10:12:47 PM »
Welcome Shawn!

I am also a Cleveland area golfer!  Have been here on GCA for many years, and love meeting new folks.  Please drop me an Email or IM and let's try to get together real soon and play.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Shawn Arlia

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »
Hey everybody. Thank you for making me feel welcome. I ll definately come out swinging. lol. Sorry but i usually only jump on the computer once a day, so its been a day since my intro. For the Gentleman who asked about the Quarry. Its an excellent golf course. Reminds me a little bit of Greywalls in upper michigan. Some really cool holes. Doesnt have the greens that greywalls does, but alot of elevation changes, and some interesting holes that follow the land. I know many on here dont like Art Hills, but he has three of the top designs in the state. Longerberger, Shaker Run, and Red Hawk Run. (I dont know if i would rank them that way. They do belong in the top ten at least.) The one course that doesnt get nearly as much love as it deserves is Fowler's Mill, an early Pete Dye design. I might very well rank it as the best course in Ohio. At least in the top three. I havent played spring valley of aurora, but i plan to do so soon. Finally, i will add a little gem of a course that if you ever get up this way you should try. Its called Sugarbush. Execellent greens, great routing, and can handle any handicapped player. O cant forget. We have Ben Curtis' college course up here too Windmill Lakes. A long 7000 yard par 70 course with elephants buried in every green.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2009, 04:03:06 PM »

Shawn,

If you ever golf with a GCA member that has a big blue M on his golf stuff, it is not Michigan. It is stand for South Dakota School for Mines and Technologies.

Wlcome,

Anthony

Shawn Arlia

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
Evan. I think thats a great idea. Now if only i knew how to IM or email you.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 08:54:47 AM »
Evan. I think thats a great idea. Now if only i knew how to IM or email you.

Just look under my Avatar ("I WALK 18")...there you will find a few small icons that contain links to various contact methods for each individual, like an Email address, website address, instant message service, and even the IM function here on GCA.

Give it a try!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back