News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

Last Monday I was asked to be part of the ceremony where a plaque was unveiled to honour Stanley Thompson as a Person of National Historical Significance. I was asked to speak about Thompson's legacy. My speech was quite short and talked about how his work was an inspiration for all of the Canadian Architects. I provided perspective of his importance – not just as our greatest architect – but as one of of the greatest architects in history. I explained how his impact goes well beyond our borders and out into the architectural community throughout the world.

Its fun to think how all major Canadian cities feature work done by Stanley Thompson and how his golf courses have touched all Canadians not in just one region but from coast to coast.

A Side Note:

On the trip I learnt that Thompson had returned to Highlands Links twice in the 40’s and definitely once more in the 1950’s just prior to his death. I met the son of the Innkeeper where he stayed each time he came to Ingonish. This confirmed to me that he stayed involved after the project was complete. His clubs are at the course- along with a scorecard from the round!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:30:18 PM by Ian Andrew »

mark chalfant

Ian,

Thanks for letting us know about this. I was curious if any other golfers have been given this honor, such as George Knudsen. Im also curious if  eitherGordie Howe or Jean Beliveau have been honored this way.?   Congratulations for being chosen to speak

JC Jones

Did he really "exploit" the natural terrain?  Maybe that word doesn't have the negative connotation north of the border that it does here.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jed Peters

Its fun to think how all major Canadian cities feature work done by Stanley Thompson and how his golf courses have touched all Canadians not in just one region but from coast to coast.

Calgary?

Ian Andrew

He didn't design 145 courses either.....

JC Jones

He didn't design 145 courses either.....

;D ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bob Jenkins

Ian,

Thanks for posting that. Very cool!

I was wondering about the 145 courses! Thought I must have missed quite a few.

Bob J

Ian Andrew

Calgary?

Banff is an hour and twenty minutes away.

Jed Peters

Calgary?

Banff is an hour and twenty minutes away.

Not Calgary now, and certainly wasn't in the 30's and 40's!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back