News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Sand Hills Revisited
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:23:24 PM »
Thanks to a very generous host I had the opportunity to spend a couple of days at the Sand Hills this past week, a return trip after an initial visit back in 2005.

A few quick observations:

I fell in love with the place after my first visit and this second trip did nothing but affirm my initial observation.  We were fortunate to have a little wind the second day, a "typical Sand Hills type wind" according to my host, about 15-20 mph.  The wind the second day presented challenges that I had not faced before; bunkers that looked like they would never be in play from previous rounds seemingly were a force to be reckoned with.  Angles that had been taken in previous plays were no longer doable.  But the beauty of the place is that holes played just as well during the calm rounds as when the wind was blowing. 

The final round was started on the 10th tee, playing holes 10, 11 and 12 into the wind.  Number 10 was unreachable in two shots, but the bunker 80 yards short of the green on the right side of fairway came into play when trying to place our second shots.  Holes 11 and 12 were transformed from driver-9 iron or wedge into brutes.  The genius of hole #14 was brought out when playing it into the wind as well.  By the time we had started our back nine on hole #1, the wind had seemingly changed directions a bit and holes #1 and 2 were playing into the wind. 

My favorite hole from my first visit was #4, with the stunning view from the double diamond tees, the pit to the left and the falloff to the right.  That hasn't changed, but I grew to appreciate a few more.  Hole #5 from the diamond tee above the green on 4 makes for a dynamic tee shot that must hug the bunker complex on the inside to set up the preferred line of play.  Into the wind the last day the tee shot had to be placed between this bunker complex and the centerline bunker, which presented a daunting task.

Hole #8 from the back tee into the wind:  The carry over the bunkers at the beginning of the fairway to the right became a challenge; the prudent play to the left side of the fairway.  With little or no wind, the choice to fly the bunkers was an easy one.  However, the fun begins when you play the hole from the up tee, at about 290.  The chance to drive the green and make a 2 is a tempting one, but miss the shot a bit and the bunkers can snatch up the tee shot and make 5 or more a definite possibility.

Hole #11 from the back tee:  My first two rounds back in 2005 were played from the regular tee.  A 4-wood followed by a wedge and one putt - birdie both times.  From the back tee, the bunkers definitely are more in play, including the one to the right side of the fairway where it begins.  Into the wind the second day the hole became almost unreachable, leaving one to ponder where the best place to leave the second shot would be.

Hole #15:  Challenge the bunkers on the right about 240 off the tee to gain a view of the green, or go left to ensure a safe shot followed by a blind approach.  The pin for the first day was front left, making it blind from any spot in the fairway.  In fact, one fellow in my group played up the fairway on #14 and had a perfect view of the flag, although it was a much further second shot.  He did make par, I believe.

When we arrived we were met with a note that the club had received approximately 22 inches of rain in the month of June.  I believe the typical annual rainfall to be about 15 inches, so I was a bit unsure of the playing conditions.  I was pleasantly surprised when we reached the course and found little or no damage to the course.  No, it didn't play firm and fast as is typical, but how could it given the once in a hundred year rainfall.  The greens were a bit slower than I remembered them to be, but they certainly were not slow, and were a perfect speed to take a run at. 

As Ran states perfectly in his review of the club, "at the end of many a thirty-six hole day, the golfer realizes there is no other place he would rather be", to which I absolutely concur.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Chip Gaskins

Re: Sand Hills Revisited
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 07:20:10 PM »
Scott-

Sand Hills is a very special place.  We played 36 one day and I vividly remember hitting a perfect 4 iron (first decent shot of the day!) in on 18 and all four of looking at each other like, wow, what a shot, what a place, what a time of the day....just one of those moments in golf in a very special setting.

Nothing much prettier than that tee shot

JC Jones

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:45:07 PM »
Sounds amazing Scott.  Congrats on a great time.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »
I played SH for the first and only time last Fall...we had the full enchilada with winds in the 30s-40s mph

The golf course is clearly one of the best in the world.  There are no weak holes.  It is a great place.

Bart

Scott Szabo

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:27:28 PM »
My only regret this time around is forgetting the camera.  The sunset on Friday was one of a kind, following a thirty-minute downpour.  The pictures alone would have made the trip worthwhile.

IF there is a better place in all of golf, I have yet to see it.  I wish they had room for one more member!

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 10:36:02 PM »
Scott:  amen brother... and you and me both.
 :'(

Scott Szabo

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 09:26:17 AM »
Scott-

Sand Hills is a very special place.  We played 36 one day and I vividly remember hitting a perfect 4 iron (first decent shot of the day!) in on 18 and all four of looking at each other like, wow, what a shot, what a place, what a time of the day....just one of those moments in golf in a very special setting.

Nothing much prettier than that tee shot

That could be said for almost all tee shots, second shots.......

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:31:40 AM »
Scott, that's some interesting, ball busting wind you had. It must have been nice to come into the house from #15 downwind.

Has anyone decided if there actually IS a normal wind direction during the playing season? I never got a straight answer.

I was there a month ago and the course was quite green, yet perfect. It was my first time, so I have no reference to the firmnicity, other than swimming vicariously through Huckaby's drool on the subject.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 10:36:54 AM »
I have been assured by all connected to Sand Hills with whom I have spoken that there truly is no prevailing wind.  This is one of the reasons they have never done a course rating... without prevailing wind it really can't be done, not with any hope of accuracy anyway.

And yes, it does get quite firm and fast there, as I'm sure Scott knows.  Play it like that, and yes, the drool flows.  But as you know the drool tends to flow no matter how the conditions are there....

;D 

Scott Szabo

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 10:45:46 AM »
John,

I'd reiterate Huck's response.  My host said that there truly is no prevailing wind, which makes the design even better in my opinion.  C&C had to consider every possible wind in routing, hazard placement, etc.

As hard as 10, 11 and 12 were, I couldn't imagine 15-18 playing into the wind.  Those would be brutes indeed, even the short 17th.

As I mentioned, by the time we got to #1 (our 10th of the day) the wind had switched and we had 1 and 2 into the wind.  Let me tell you, #2 into the wind with a back right pin was about all I could handle. 

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:48:20 AM »
I have been assured by all connected to Sand Hills with whom I have spoken that there truly is no prevailing wind.  This is one of the reasons they have never done a course rating... without prevailing wind it really can't be done, not with any hope of accuracy anyway.

And yes, it does get quite firm and fast there, as I'm sure Scott knows.  Play it like that, and yes, the drool flows.  But as you know the drool tends to flow no matter how the conditions are there....

;D 

Scott and Huck -- While I don't want to speak out of place, I'd guess there is more wind from the south than any other wind at Sand Hills. Playing plenty of golf in Nebraska from May to mid-September that's generally about 85% of the wind here. Though we do get the occasional north wind when the fronts and storms pass through and we've had a ton of those this year -- from the sounds of it even more in Mullen and parts south. 22 inches of rain, wow!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »
Tony - a wind that occurs 85% of the time sure sounds like "prevailing" to me!  Nevertheless, the members I spoke with (including a certain dentist from Long Island) sure indicated there was no prevailing wind.  Mr. Youngscap said this also.  So maybe they just see it change so much, they don't think of it in a purely meterological sense.  I will say this - there sure was no one wind I saw much more than others in my three trips there... it was ever-changing.  But of course that's a small sample.

In any case their desire NOT to have a course rating is a totally separate issue, one on which said dentist can comment if he wishes.

;D

Will Smith

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 03:54:43 PM »
Kyle Franz and I started tracking the wind last summer when we were building the Prairie Club, but soon quit as we rarely had more than two days in a row from the same direction. It can blow from about any direction in this part of Nebraska and blow hard. That is why width is so important on these courses. The strongest winds we got were from the west and they were really strong 35-40 mph with gusts higher. It would not be fun to travel all that way and play in a wind like that if the course was narrow.

Gene Greco

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 05:46:52 PM »
Kyle Franz and I started tracking the wind last summer when we were building the Prairie Club, but soon quit as we rarely had more than two days in a row from the same direction. It can blow from about any direction in this part of Nebraska and blow hard. That is why width is so important on these courses. The strongest winds we got were from the west and they were really strong 35-40 mph with gusts higher. It would not be fun to travel all that way and play in a wind like that if the course was narrow.

Thank you, Will. Thank you.

Ten darn years on this website (and its forebearers) trying to explain this to anyone who might listen and now we have actual field research to verify what I've said all along:

There is no prevailing wind in this part of this world...

....and that is why one needs to build wider fairways - to accomodate all wind directions and speeds.... and still make the course playable...

....and that is the genius of The Sand Hills Golf Club!!!                     

« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:49:19 PM by Gene Greco »
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 05:49:18 PM »
LOL
Thank YOU, Gene.  I figured you all didn't just make this up.

;D

Gene Greco

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 05:53:47 PM »
And for you we have this:    The Road to Heaven

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Gene Greco

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 06:22:55 PM »
And this:

JC Jones

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 06:29:14 PM »
Keep the pictures coming, I could look at them all day.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 06:39:23 PM »
What JC said...

Scott Szabo

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
And for you we have this:    The Road to Heaven

I now have a new pic for my desktop - thanks Gene!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 08:08:01 PM »
Special is not enough. It is a one of a kind masterpiece to be revered by any of us lucky enough to spends some moments of our life there.

Gene Greco

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 08:11:49 PM »
North

JC Jones

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »
Special is not enough. It is a one of a kind masterpiece to be revered by any of us lucky enough to spends some moments of our life there.

Well said TB.  I believe it is also revered by some of us who haven't spent time there.  It is easy to recognize greatness from afar.

Gene Greco

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 08:21:55 PM »
South

Gene Greco

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 08:27:43 PM »
East

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back