News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Spittel

France in September: Suggestions?
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »
Going to be in Paris for a few days in September. I should have a chance to get out on a few week days, but understand that Morfortaine is probably out of the question.

Can anyone speak to the difficulty of getting on St. Germain and/or Chantilly? Are there any other must see courses in the area?
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: France in September: Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:19:07 AM »

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »
Jeff,

There's a good review of St.Germain in the courses by country section.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/france/saintgermain1
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Jamie Barber

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »
Heard nothing but good things about Les Bordes - but hard to get on nowadays I think (and a bit out of town)

http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/productdetails.asp?id=480

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:41:12 AM »
Les Bordes is accessible, but it's hit and miss. Basically, they have a member who loves hosting outsiders, but it all just depends if your visit coincides with him being around.

The contact is Mark Vickery: mark.vickery@lesbordes.com - a really friendly guy who was very helpful when I was trying to arrange a visit.

Le Bordes is just outside Orleans, 90 minutes south of Paris.

Le Golf National is closer (just south of Versailles - 40 mins from Paris), more easily accessed, and just hosted the French Open this week.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »
Even thinking about playing golf when you have a few days in Paris is like looking for gourmet restaurants or hot women when you find yourself in Bandon or Mullen.  Priorities, man, priorities!

Tom Birkert

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »
I think Chantilly are quite accommodating about visitors during the week - their phone number is + 03 44 57 04 43 or contact@golfdechantilly.com

My favourite course in continental Europe is Morfontaine, but securing an invite there is incredibly hard.

Both are lovely courses and are about 35 mins from Paris and can be reached by train and taxi or car.

Good luck!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »
Jeff,

I am in the office. Give me a call at 831-622-4771 and I can do something for you at St. Germain.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 05:30:03 PM »
Even thinking about playing golf when you have a few days in Paris is like looking for gourmet restaurants or hot women when you find yourself in Bandon or Mullen.  Priorities, man, priorities!

I second that emotion!  I spent a week last September in Paris with my lovely wife and never once thought about golf or even logged onto GCA.com.

It's that kind of place.  But, chacun a son gout.  (Wish I knew where to find those cool accents)

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »
Paris is over-priced and overrated. I'm back there for my third visit on Saturday and I can't wait to pick up the car and get into the countryside on Monday. Next time we go back for any period of time, my missus can have the city, I'll play some golf.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 05:44:57 PM »
Paris is over-priced and overrated. I'm back there for my third visit on Saturday and I can't wait to pick up the car and get into the countryside on Monday. Next time we go back for any period of time, my missus can have the city, I'll play some golf.

I'll agree with the over-priced part!

John Sabino

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 06:00:29 PM »
Jeff - I agree with Tom that Chantilly shouldn't be that hard, your pro should be able to help you get on. Also agree, that Mortontaine is a once-in-a-lifetime deal but very very hard to get. John
Author: How to Play the World's Most Exclusive Golf Clubs and Golf's Iron Horse - The Astonishing, Record-Breaking Life of Ralph Kennedy

http://www.top100golf.blogspot.com/

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 09:12:02 AM »

That's a solid point, Rich. I'm like a crack head.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »

That's a solid point, Rich. I'm like a crack head.

Don't feel bad Jeff.  My wife and I are also heading to Paris in September and my sticks are coming with me.  I hope to get in a round at St. Germain as well knowing that Morfontaine is the impossible.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Steve Lang

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 09:35:18 PM »
 8) I for one see no reason to lug golf clubs to Europe.. you can allways rent, and it gives you a good reason to spend some time discussing things with the course folks..

Assuming you've never been there, take the train down to Versailles.. get Royal..

check the price of LeGrandeMac..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »
The Chunnel?

Ron Csigo

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »
Does anyone know if Morfontaine allows visitors to come out and see the course?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »
Any courses worth playing in southern France? 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
Any courses worth playing in southern France? 

St. Jean de Monts in the Vendee.

Alfonso Erhardt

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 08:23:23 AM »
Jim,

In the southwest (Biarritz area) there are a few: Chiberta (Simpson), Hossegor (Colt and Morrison), Chantaco (Colt), Biarritz (Dunn), Moliets (Trent Jones) and Seignosse (Von Hagge).

I like the classics better, especially Chiberta and Hossegor, but all of them are quite interesting.

Regards,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back