News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Turnberry preview
« on: July 05, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »
...again, the intended audience is not just architecture fans, but golf fans all over, so it's an overview, not a white paper...enjoy

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=1920
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Stewart Abramson

Re: Turnberry preview
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 08:44:24 PM »
Hi Jay - Nice article, but it says "all photos copyright Jay Flemma." That's my Photo of Turnberry #9 that I posted on this site in my reply to your 24 June post re: Turnberry. My photo of #9 has also been on the "About Golf" website and several other sites with my permission and correct attribution since I took it a couple years ago. I'm always happy to share my photos with permission and correct attribution.

http://golf.about.com/od/golfcourespictures/ig/Turnberry-Ailsa-Pictures/Turnberry-Ailsa---No-9-tee.htm

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 09:11:09 PM »
Thank you stew because I was about to attribute that to Cordova Images!

It's fixed now.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 05:10:58 AM »
Others had opined MacDonald or Whigham  ;D 

Thanks

Mike McGuire

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 08:38:09 AM »
Link to a local forum discussing the state of the rough at Turnberry.  Potential to be brutal.

http://www.golfmagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/UTN/30840/URN/6/dt/1/srchdte/0/cp/1/v/5/sp

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »
Brian Keogh has a good write up on that same issue at www.irishgolfdesk.com, as well.

Niall C

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 02:30:47 PM »
Jay

Excellent article, just one point. Here in Scotland we tend to think of Pebble Beach as the Trunberry of the US  ;D

Niall

Jay Flemma

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 04:35:20 PM »
What do you think will be the winning score Niall?

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 05:23:23 PM »
Nice article Jay, well done.  A belated welcome back to you as well. :)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 05:24:30 PM »
Thanks eric.  Will I see you at Inniscrone sat?

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 05:26:38 PM »
Thanks eric.  Will I see you at Inniscrone sat?

I just don't have another 11 hour drive in me right now Jay!  Have fun...

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 02:47:25 PM »

Good question Jay, I reckon it will probably be low unless we get a wind blowing. I played down at Gailes again today and the fairways were running as you would expect but are not what you would call fiery so on the assumption Turnberry will be similiar, I don't think that will cause a problem. Really its all down to the wind and how they set it up as the course is one of the easier ones on the rota as you say in your article.

Anyway, I'm down there as of tomorrow so will try and post over weekend.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 10:53:24 AM »
after walking over part of the course and seeing the set-up I think anything under par will be doing well, particularly if we get some decent wind.

Niall

Niall C

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 02:51:46 PM »

Jay

I have been down at the Open today and seen first hand the rough at Turnberry. While Turnberry is usually one of the easier courses to score, I think the guys might struggle if the wind blows. Tiger played a practice round and from what I heard didn't take the driver out the bag. At the risk of ending up looking foolish I'll plump for a winning score will be 278 based on par of 70.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back