News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

New Design Ideas
« on: May 13, 2002, 12:04:55 AM »
Many architects in the past, especially those in the so-called "Golden Age of GCA," were either from GB & I, or made pilgrimages to the classic links of Scotland, Ireland, and Great Britain.  What they brought back with them were the great designs of these courses, which have been reproduced many times over the years.

We all know the names used by MacDonald, Raynor, Dye, and many others....Short, Road, Alps, Cape, Redan(and variations), Double Plateau, High....etc...as the great holes of the past that maybe should even be copied more often.

If the great architects of the next 75 or 100 years are making "pilgrimages" or trips to see holes or styles of the great modern courses of the United States, what ideas or holes would they copy from what they see?  Or are new ideas always sunk by the classics of the past?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:New Design Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 01:48:47 PM »
I'm not sure why this has lain dormant for so long. It seems a discussion worth having.

My money's on the domed green and hog's back fairway if global warming is going to do all it is threatened to do - except that I won't be around to pick up my winnings.

Lester George

Re:New Design Ideas
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 12:25:52 AM »
There is not much new under the sun.  Having said that, I think in 75 years there will be a return multiple options for play (not just a couple, many) because I think we still don't do enough of it.  In 75 years it will be harder to do because of land use and water constraints, which may be why someone will try to capture it again.  

Lester

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back