News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Asbrock

Re: San Dieigo Public Courses
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 02:54:07 PM »
I was not a fan....... way overpriced and not walkable. I enjoyed the back nine more than the front. Some of the greens are a little crazy with more than 5 tiers.

George Freeman

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 03:01:08 PM »
I was not a fan....... way overpriced and not walkable. I enjoyed the back nine more than the front. Some of the greens are a little crazy with more than 5 tiers.

I have only driven past the course, but from the road it definitely looked pretty severe.  Who designed it?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

David Stamm

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 03:29:12 PM »

I have only driven past the course, but from the road it definitely looked pretty severe.  Who designed it?

Greg Nash. It is, um, unique.....
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tim Book

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 04:15:23 PM »
Nick, I have played the Pechanga course a couple of times.  'CCFAD'.  The course was in fantastic shape and the practice area and clubhouse are incredible.  I was warned that there were a couple of routing challenges due to some native american sacred land.  Since I knew that going in I wasn't surprised.  Soild but expensive track.

David, unique is a kind description for the Crossings.  I drove past there daily for about a year, played it once and will not return.

David Stamm

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 04:32:35 PM »
Nick, I have played the Pechanga course a couple of times.  'CCFAD'.  The course was in fantastic shape and the practice area and clubhouse are incredible.  I was warned that there were a couple of routing challenges due to some native american sacred land.  Since I knew that going in I wasn't surprised.  Soild but expensive track.

David, unique is a kind description for the Crossings.  I drove past there daily for about a year, played it once and will not return.

Tim, I live 10 mins from it. I walked the course with the construction supervisor before it opened. I was trying to be somewhat cynical. Most that know me on this site know that I have stated my case about the Crossings in alot more graphic terms. It is a course that should be seen so poeple can see what should not be done. It is one of the worst pieces of arch I have seen, and I have seen alot of 'em. It was a bad piece of property to start with and the constant need to have to re-route the course for a myriad of reasons dashed any hope of something that resembled a decent course from happening.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 04:48:10 PM »
You guys are in for it now.

Just wait till Tom Huckaby chimes in on the Crossings....he's a big fan.  He said its the "strip joint" of golf courses!!!  ;D

Nick Asbrock

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »
David,

I used to live in Carlsbad (moved to Temecula 5 months ago). What other pieces of land was the city of Carlsbad looking to build their course? I know this course was around 20 years in the making and I think they whiffed big time (I have heard they have lost a lot of money since it has opened as well). Did they ever look at land near lake calavera (land where college blvd meets cannon) for a course? Whenever I took my dogs for a hike out there all I could envision was great hole after great hole........ rolling hills, canyons with natural brush, ocean views and numerous water features

Jason McNamara

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 08:12:16 PM »
So, he asked, possibly revealing a grievous lack of knowledge about SD public golf, is Steele Canyon a miss?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »
I would give Steele Canyon a thumbs up. It is cart ball but the elevated tees and canyon holes are fun and challenging. It can get very hard by the end of summer and the ball rolls too far for such a tight course. When I lived in SD several years ago Steele Canyon was in my top five in the area and when friends came to town I would take them there and had no complaints. My top five SD public when I lived there were:

1. Torrey Pines-South
2. Barona Creek
3. Steele Canyon
4. Maderas
5. Carlton Oaks
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
You guys are in for it now.

Just wait till Tom Huckaby chimes in on the Crossings....he's a big fan.  He said its the "strip joint" of golf courses!!!  ;D

I did say that - and what I meant was it's so bad it's good (like strip joints are).  It's a guilty pleasure.

The "architecture" (as folks in here define that) is unbelievably bad.  The routing is a chaotic mess.  Some holes are so weird and contrived they just have to be seen to be believed.

BUT.. if one has a sense of humor... man there are a lot of very fun shots to be played, and some fantastic views.  So hell yes, I did enjoy my one play there and would play it again... at a discount.

TH

Jason McNamara

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2009, 06:16:43 PM »
Thanks Tim  - are there two nines you'd recommend over the other?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 01:02:50 PM »
they are all pretty good and interesting, but I recall that I liked the Ranch nine least.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Pete Lavallee

Re: San Dieigo Public Courses New
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »
So I decided to play Balboa park yesterday at 1pm with my cousin. We both enjoyed the course. The only negatives I see are the lack of any ocean views and constant air traffic. It is a little quirky in some places (ei the 4th)... Positives include the many views of the SD skyline, low price (40$) and a variety of different types of holes (canyons, elevation changes and mesa holes). Overall it was a fun short little course for a Sunday afternoon with lots of character to many of the holes. Conditiosn where actually bette rthan I expected.  

Favorite holes on the course include #2 (neat tight hole up through the canyon), #14, #16(best hole on the course) and #17 (huge elevation drop-2 club).

They need to make a new tee box on number 18 about 100 yard back from where it is now. Finishing on a 320yrd par four just dosent seem right IMO.... it is very narrow however.

Questiosn for all....... It seemd like the two nines were very different in style (front nine seemed more aged with many canyon holes, while the back nine was more wide open on top the the canyons (except the last 4 holes). Is the front nine the original nine from 1920"s? Do they have different desiners?

Nick,

Glad you enjoyed Balboa; it really is a good test at 6200 yards. Sam Snead still holds the course record with the 60 he shot in 1945 while in the Navy. Mark Wiebe shot a 62 in the City Amateur some years back, but low rounds are few and far between due to the penal nature of the first 6 holes; there's really now where to miss it.

As to the history, the course was built in 1918 and is always attributed locally to William Park Bell. However some have disputed this since Bell was the greenkeeper at Pasadena GC at this time. Some have speculated that Willie Watson concieved the original layout. In any case, it was dirt fairways and oiled sand greens until a WPA project in 1938 added irrigation. Surely Billy Bell was in charge of this project, so even if he inherited the routing, he's responsible for the all grass course. The clubhouse was located by the 7th green at one point many years ago. I beieve the entire layout dates from 1918 though. The layout that Snead shot his 60 on still existed in 1990; the second was a short par 4 with the 3rd a par 5 to the same green site as #3 has now. The 4th was a straight hole, the 12th was a par 3 and the 14 was a par 4. The par 5 16th had been broken up into two 300 yard par 4's; the pine tree was planted to guard the tee. The 18th was a par 5 up the hill with the tee back in the corner. This allowed sliced shots to hit the street as did 17 which was right next to the fence on Pershing Dr. These were the two biggest factors in the 1992 redesign which was done by the firm of Halsey Daray. Their primary direction was to eliminate the probability of sliced shots hitting busy roads. A new irrigation system and USGA greens were part of the deal. The 2cnd was changed to a par 5 to keep people from being hit off #1 tee. The 12th was extended to form the current par 4 hole. The short 13th was built to link the 12th green to the 14th tee. The old 15th was straight away, now it is a right angle dogleg. The 16th was restored and I agree, is the best hole on the course. As for 18, they took MacKenzie advice for a lousy hole by shortening it to get it over with quicker. The 4th was changed in house to avert a property line dispute and proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you should always enlist the help of genuine GCA when you make changes. The original version was regraded and the hole still doesn't work well. The front left portion of the tiny green is unpinnable; any putts that aren't holed will roll back to the center of the green. We are due to get a new irrigation system this Oct; the current one is springing leaks everywhere due to a very shody installation job by the lowest bidder. There is talk that the City may try and fix #4 then; I hope so because it really is out of place now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 07:09:17 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Nick Asbrock

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 04:47:47 PM »
Thanks for the info :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back