News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glen Rapoport

Machrihanish
« on: June 30, 2009, 12:57:58 AM »
Could someone knowledgeable about the present conditions make some expert suggestions as to:

1. travel there
2. accommodations
3. # of days to stay
4. other suggestions regarding retaurants..other things to do

i am considering a trip there in 2010

Thanks

Eric Franzen

Re: Machrihanish
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 03:17:53 AM »
Glen,

Drive to Kennacraig and board the ferry to Islay after you're done with Machrihanish (I would recommend at least two rounds there) and Machrihanish Dunes. Then check in at the Golf Hotel and play a couple of rounds at Machrie. You won't be dissapointed if raw, fun and remote links golf is your cup of vanilla frappuccino.

Cheers,

Eric

Gene Greco

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 05:49:56 AM »
Glen:

It's been my experience that those whose pictures appear in full page spreads in Golfweek have personal concierges to attend to such things.

Your featured bio exudes that of a dashing figure.

However, we know better. ;)

Seriously, the key word in your request is "present" which excludes me from offering up to date recommendations for eight years have passed since my one time visit to Machrihanish. But for what it's worth I did have a satifying stay at The Argyll Hotel (www.argyllhotel.co.uk)  in Campbeltown and one night at Baxters B&B which overlooks the first tee.

More importantly, you will find the Springbank Distillery in Campbeltown maker of my favorite single malt. Cheers! 

"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:12:33 AM »
Could someone knowledgeable about the present conditions make some expert suggestions as to:

1. travel there
2. accommodations
3. # of days to stay
4. other suggestions regarding retaurants..other things to do

i am considering a trip there in 2010

Thanks

Glen

Where are you travelling from ie. UK based or flying into the country ? Also, how long is your trip ?

Niall

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:18:51 AM »
Glen:

Ardell House overlooks the Machrinhanish course and you can walk to the clubhouse and 1st tee from there; run by a guy (Mr. Baxter, I believe) very knowledgeable about golfing and golfers.

There is little in Machrinhanish proper for eating; couple of pubs and the clubhouse does serve basic meals. Campbeltown is the best bet for evening meals. Take Gene's advice about Springbank -- a great distillery. Eaglesome, a store in downtown Campbeltown, has a great collection of single malts.

A nice late-afternoon/early evening round can be had at Dunaverty, about 15 miles south of Machrihanish -- sporty, not long, but some good holes and great views on the southern tip of the Kintyre Peninsula. Carradale, up the road a bit on the eastern side of the Kintyre, is nine holes of funky, sporty fun again with some great views. Machrihanish, the old links, is worth at least two rounds. Haven't played the new Dunes course.

Machrie is real old-fashioned links, lots of blind shots, but it takes a bit of scheduling to make the ferry runs between Kennecraig and Islay. Getting to Machrie and playing the old links there is a 2-or-3-day endeavor, given the length of the drive up to the ferry port at Kennecraig, and the trip over. Probably need to book ahead if you're taking a car on the ferry.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 12:04:02 PM »
Machrihanish is a 3-4 hour drive from Glasgow. There is also a passenger ferry service from Troon to Campeltown.

www.kintyreexpress.com

More info: http://www.golftravelscotland.com/courses/Machrihanish.htm
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:06:07 PM by David_Tepper »

Eric Franzen

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:18:38 PM »
Glen:
A nice late-afternoon/early evening round can be had at Dunaverty, about 15 miles south of Machrihanish -- sporty, not long, but some good holes and great views on the southern tip of the Kintyre Peninsula. Carradale, up the road a bit on the eastern side of the Kintyre, is nine holes of funky, sporty fun again with some great views. Machrihanish, the old links, is worth at least two rounds. Haven't played the new Dunes course.

Carradale is IMHO not worth a longer detour, but a nice walk if you drive by and want to stretch out your legs. As Phil says, Dunaverty has some great views and also some interesting holes. I recommend that you club up a bit at "Mount Zion". 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »
What a wonderful place. I played 18, 36 and then 18 with 2 nights there. I think that is a good amount for a first trip. the first 14 or so holes is as much  great golf as one finds on this earth.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back