News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Alexander

Turnberry pics
« on: June 29, 2009, 08:01:36 AM »
With the run-up to The Open Championship now in full swing, I thought some of you might be interested in some pics of the Ailsa course which I shot the day before the stands went up. They form part of an exhibition I'm putting on at The Open in conjunction with the R&A. In addition, I'm putting on another golf course photography show at the Byre Theatre in St Andrews. GCA members are warmly invited to the launch party on Wednesday (1/7/09). The night kicks off at 7pm if anyone fancies coming along. The show runs until the start of August.

If that wasn't enough, I've also launched a golf course photography website - www.markalexanderphotography.co.uk. If you have the time and inclination, it would be great to get your feedback on it.

I hope this is of some interest, and many apologies for the shameless plug.

Mark Woodger

Re: Turnberry pics
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »
very nice pictures Mark. I will not be able to make it but good luck with the exhibition.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:28:29 AM »
With the run-up to The Open Championship now in full swing, I thought some of you might be interested in some pics of the Ailsa course which I shot the day before the stands went up. They form part of an exhibition I'm putting on at The Open in conjunction with the R&A. In addition, I'm putting on another golf course photography show at the Byre Theatre in St Andrews. GCA members are warmly invited to the launch party on Wednesday (1/7/09). The night kicks off at 7pm if anyone fancies coming along. The show runs until the start of August.

If that wasn't enough, I've also launched a golf course photography website - www.markalexanderphotography.co.uk. If you have the time and inclination, it would be great to get your feedback on it.

I hope this is of some interest, and many apologies for the shameless plug.

Gorgeous work, Mark.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:38:14 AM »
Very nice photos Mark, and perfect timing to help get us excited about the Open!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark Alexander

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:03:55 AM »
Many thanks for your comments and all those who have visited the website.
Turnberry is a very special place and to photograph it in such great light was magical.
I hope the weather improves in July so we can all enjoy those amazing sunsets - here on the east coast, we're smothered in fog.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 09:15:31 AM »
I also hope the weather is good as I've volunteered to be a marshall and will be on the 7th hole. Weather like 1977 would be just perfect.

The way local courses have been browning up the last month bodes well for a fast and firm Open. Here's hoping anyway.

Niall

Mark Alexander

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:37:28 PM »
I was wondering what your thoughts were to the changes to the course. Turnberry's track record is pretty poor when it comes to offering up a stern test, so will the changes be enough?
I think they've added to the course without taking away the character of the place, and in the case of 16 Martin Ebert has made a fine contribution to already great design, but will they quash Tiger's drive?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »
I also hope the weather is good as I've volunteered to be a marshall and will be on the 7th hole. Weather like 1977 would be just perfect.

Funny , how people have this idea that the weather was good at Turnberry in 1977 !

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 08:57:44 PM »
Mark,

Those are some lovely snaps.   Thanks for sharing with us.

ed_getka

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 12:27:58 AM »
Geez Louise, I never even thought about golfing at Turnberry before but those photographs are unbelievable.  Really great work. You must have been pinching yourself with those kind of atmospherics. It must have been hard to stay still long enough to get a shot.
   If there is a better shot of Turnberry with the lighthouse in it than that 6th photo, I have yet to see it. Wow.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:31:37 AM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mark Alexander

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 06:38:25 AM »
Ed,

Many thanks for your comments.
I'd watched the weather for about two weeks but even as I drove down, I had my doubts (dark skies and constant rain can do that to you). It paid off, however, because when I got there I was greeted by wonderful light and amazing skies - there are plenty more shots on the website.
To be honest, with those conditions and a course like Turnberry, it would been difficult not to take a good shot.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 07:36:43 AM »
Fantastic photos, Mark

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 08:36:03 AM »
Great pictures Mark. They really capture the essence of the place. Beautifully balanced images, and wonderful colours too.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Trey Stiles

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:45:39 AM »
Very Nice Pics ... Love the way you caught the light , clouds , colors , shadows , ect.

The golf looks pretty good too ... Who cares what they shoot in the Open , the course looks like it was built by the ultimate architect with an assist by man to lay the holes in there.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 08:49:16 AM »
enjoyed your pictures, will try to drop by the Byre tonight
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 09:05:41 AM »

Funny , how people have this idea that the weather was good at Turnberry in 1977 !

Brian

Yes there was some dodgy weather as well but overall the weather was glorious and the playing conditions were fast and firm. Like most people I guess, my mind tends to remember the overall impression and forgets some of the detail, particularly where it doesn't fit in with that impression.

Interestingly the weather at the moment on the west coast is similiar to back then ie hot and humid. Hopefully we will have the thunderstorms prior to the start of play.

Niall

Mark Alexander

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
Gary,

Look forward to seeing you tonight.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 02:05:17 PM »
Mark: Photos are great - is that a sprinkler going in the 3rd photo?

Mark Alexander

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 04:00:42 AM »
Yes, that's a sprinkler.
The greenkeepers were working feverously to prepare the course so it was quite tricky to time the shots so they didn't include their hard efforts. I toyed with taking it out in Photoshop but felt that would overly adjust the shot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back