News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Mayhugh gets Lawsoniaed
« on: June 25, 2009, 11:56:58 PM »
GCA celeb John Mayhugh toured Lawsonia with myself and a friend today.  John mentioned that he likes bold features on a golf course.  He found some.

Da Mayor's absence was noted, perhaps he was jetsetting off to visit a spicy South American dish instead of fulfilling his duty of governor of Lawsonia.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 11:59:39 PM by Brad Swanson »

John Mayhugh

Re: Mayhugh gets Lawsoniaed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 01:07:28 AM »
What a great experience this afternoon! 

More to say about the course later.  For now, I have to wonder if there is a better public course value in the US than this one.  I'll take it over anything I've seen in Kolher without even factoring in the price.

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 02:13:29 AM »
John,

A public course on the Mayhugh world tour??? Who da thunk it?

Jordan Wall

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:15:54 AM »
Brad,

John alone is a bold feature on a golf course.

Good to see him taste his own medicine.  Thank you.

Cheers,
Jordan

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 07:27:14 AM »
John,
   I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Lawsonia is easily one of the best bargains in the country for that level of architecture. Looks like you had some spectacular weather.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 07:29:26 AM »
Lawsonia is upon reflection the one course that really opened my eyes to what great golf could be. Coming up from Chicago 20 years ago I was struck by how different it was from all the other courses in my rota. Having gone back last year and seeing the subtle changes John is correct that it belongs on a short list of best public values in the country. Wild Horse in Gothenburg, ne., Pacific Grove in Ca. and Pinon Hills in Nm. finish off that list, for me.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Phil McDade

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 08:17:55 AM »
GCA celeb John Mayhugh toured Lawsonia with myself and a friend today.  John mentioned that he likes bold features on a golf course.  He found some.

Da Mayor's absence was noted, perhaps he was jetsetting off to visit a spicy South American dish instead of fulfilling his duty of governor of Lawsonia.

Cheers,
Brad

I believe that's a fairway bunker on the 11th, a wonderful, tacking par 5. Course looks in good shape.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 08:30:41 AM »

GCA celeb says it all.

Anthony

Brad Swanson

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 08:44:30 AM »
John,
   I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Lawsonia is easily one of the best bargains in the country for that level of architecture. Looks like you had some spectacular weather.
Ed,
   You must be well acclimated to NC summers already if you think 90+ degrees with humidity in WI is "spectacular weather".  :)

Phil,
   The greens were running a bit on the slow side , but the turf through the green was in the best condition I've ever seen it.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:46:59 AM by Brad Swanson »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 09:15:24 AM »
Lawsonia is upon reflection the one course that really opened my eyes to what great golf could be. Coming up from Chicago 20 years ago I was struck by how different it was from all the other courses in my rota. Having gone back last year and seeing the subtle changes John is correct that it belongs on a short list of best public values in the country. Wild Horse in Gothenburg, ne., Pacific Grove in Ca. and Pinon Hills in Nm. finish off that list, for me.

+ Rustic Canyon perhaps?

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 09:47:52 AM »
John,
Ed,
   You must be well acclimated to NC summers already if you think 90+ degrees with humidity in WI is "spectacular weather".  :)

Cheers,
Brad

Well, it LOOKS spectacular in pictures. 8) I don't think I will ever get acclimated to the humidity in NC. Wearing rain gloves in the summer (when it is NOT raining) just isn't right. :P
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »
Da Mayor's absence was noted...

Ya, what's up with that???  No Dan Moore in any of this.  Pity...

John,

You are quite the golfing slut these last few months!  So I take it Kingsley is up next in this weekend's Mike DeVries Wonderful Tour.  Very cool.

Adam,

I'd include just the PG back nine.  I was in NM in April and regret not being able to make it out to Pinon.  Rain check.  Haven't played Bethpage, but that has to be on the list.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Mike McGuire

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 10:40:06 AM »
  " The greens were running a bit on the slow side , but the turf through the green was in the best condition I've ever seen it."

Cheers,
Brad

Those greens would come alive at 10.  Its a shame they never are.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 10:42:30 AM by Mike McGuire »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 10:59:08 AM »
Da Mayor's absence was noted...

John,

You are quite the golfing slut these last few months!  So I take it Kingsley is up next in this weekend's Mike DeVries Wonderful Tour.  Very cool.

John is getting heaping helping of Greywalls today before heading to Kingsley, and I look forward to his comments after bellying up to the buffet today.

Cheers,
Brad

Jason Mandel

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
I was fortunate enough to play Lawsonia about two years ago.  The course is still fresh in my mind.  It is absolutely one of the best public courses I've ever played.  I would also probably put it up there with the top 10 courses I've ever played.  I played Erin Hills and Lawsonia back to back in consecutive days.  Talk about 2 different golf courses! 

From what I've seen in Wisco, albeit not much, I would put it right behind Milwaukee Country Club. 

In terms of value, there is no better course.  If I lived within 40 miles of that place it would be my home course.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 03:09:50 PM »
Mayhugh is, and has always been my hero. And I've slept with him; literally. My only hope in life is that one day I can say I've been in as many great bunkers as he's forgotten, or screwed up, or both.

I can think of no one better to play with, hang out with, or get Lawsonized.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Brad Swanson

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2009, 03:19:20 PM »

John is getting heaping helping of Greywalls today before heading to Kingsley, and I look forward to his comments after bellying up to the buffet today.

Cheers,
Brad

I have it on good authority that Mr. Mayhugh has declared a very fond affection for the PAR 3 ;) 17th at Greywalls.  He's having a very good prelude to the main dish at Kingsley, that's for sure.

Cheers,
Brad

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009, 03:33:28 PM »
Mayhugh is, and has always been my hero. And I've slept with him; literally. My only hope in life is that one day I can say I've been in as many great bunkers as he's forgotten, or screwed up, or both.

Now I know why John insisted on getting his own room a couple of weeks ago. :)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2009, 03:36:50 PM »
I'm very glad to hear John M., had a good experience at our Dairyland public gem.   I wish I could have been there, but with the heat and humidity, and the MD's admonition that I better not have another heat stroke, and seeing that Brad has confered me with the title of 'governor of Lawsonia";  I decided like all good governors to beat the heat and forego going naked on either the Wisconsin Glacier trail or Lawsonia, and instead go enjoy the cool winter temps in the southern hemi inorder to attend a Tango class in Buenas Aires.  It was all very innocent really...  ::) ;D 8)

It sounds like it is very good to be John Mayhugh lately.  Langford and DeVries, that's the ticket!  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jim Colton

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2009, 03:54:24 PM »
Any reports on the state of John's (and Brad's) games?  Both are on Team Coltrain for the upcoming Ryder Cup-ish matches at Ballyneal (apparently just another course in the life and times of Mr. Mayhugh) in 3 weeks.  Although the matches are just for fun, it'll be a lot more fun if my team wins.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 03:56:42 PM by Jim Colton »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 04:21:43 PM »

GCA celeb says it all.

Anthony

Anthony,

Don't you at least think he should have covered up the legs?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Brad Swanson

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 04:48:12 PM »
Any reports on the state of John's (and Brad's) games?  Both are on Team Coltrain for the upcoming Ryder Cup-ish matches at Ballyneal (apparently just another course in the life and times of Mr. Mayhugh) in 3 weeks.  Although the matches are just for fun, it'll be a lot more fun if my team wins.

Swanson's game brings back memories of Scott Norwood and the Buffalo Bills under pressure.  Despite this and 2 bad wheels I scrapped it around in the mid 70s.  If rumors of Mayhugh's precision up at Graywalls are true, we've got ourselves a ringer.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 06:07:00 PM by Brad Swanson »

David Stamm

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 06:06:16 PM »

I agree on all counts, except for the sleeping part.  :o
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »

Dude,

You really shouldn't make suggestive comments like this while sporting an avatar that features sweaty, shirtless fighter pilots unless you're prepared to make an official announcement.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2009, 08:26:42 PM »

Jon Spaulding,

I am puzzled. When Jordan and I travelled with Mayhugh, Mayhugh insisted on having his own room. I guess we were in the same camp as Ed Getka. I was able to share with Jordan while Mayhugh went down the hall to his own abode. Perhaps he was afraid of Jordan and I.

I suspect someone who played Greywalls today may be able to report results or any "out of the ordinary" events. No?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back