News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Re: More Ballyhack photos, the day before 'official' opening
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
Thanks, Bill, for your kind comments.  I hope my pictures provide some insight for folks who haven't been able to see the property yet.

Regarding Brad's comment: The photo from 18 tee is a bit misleading, as it orients towards the ridge and not down the hole itself.  I assure you that it's difficult, as a player, to notice anything but the dramatic finishing hole and the incredible green ahead.  The ridge plays perfectly with the rest of the terrain on the back nine (separated, as you may have read, from the front geographically).  Its appearance is far from heavy handed; note, in particular, the large tree still placed atop.  That alone implies a natural element, around which Lester and his crew expertly routed two fantastic holes.

Photos, like email, rarely come across exactly as intended.  There's simply nothing like the 360 degree opportunity presented by the live experience.

WW

PS Incidentally, I expected, before playing the course, that 18 tee would provide its most dramatic view.  This is not nearly the case, as 2 tee presents one of the most incredible vistas I have ever seen on an inland golf course.  As Jonathan Ireland told Lester George during construction, the view from the second tee adds ten minutes to every round at Ballyhack.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:39:59 AM by wwhitehead »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 10:38:53 AM »
Perhaps the photo is misleading.  What i see is 2 fairways adjacent to each other with a right to left shape to both of them.  The fairway in the left of the picture looks higher than the fairway on the right side of the picture.  The fairways are separated by a linear ridge with matches the right to left curve in both fairways, and the fairway to the right is bordered by another ridge with a matching left to right curve.  One typically doesn't see such symmetry in natural landforms IMHO.  It certainly looks fun to play, and as I said before I hope Ballyhack is a smashing success.

Cheers,
Brad

Lester George

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 03:25:23 PM »

Brad,

You must go there to appreciate and understand it. 

As Bill said, the left side of 12 fairway (ridge) the center ridge (between 12 and 18) and the right side of 18 were ALL THERE.  The coolness of the site is exactly what you are questioning. 

How much dirt was moved?  Very little thanks to what I consider a solid routing and one hell of a great contractor in Landscapes Unlimited.  Billy Kubly has turned more bad sites into good golf courses than most will golf architects will admit.  But here, we just worked really hard together to make the dirt work.  There is something to be said for an architect who spends "1000's of hours" on a project, but I assure you, if the understanding between architect and contractor is not crystal clear, you can not end up with something like Ballyhack.  Bills man on the site, Chris Kelly and his shapers Juice, Jose, and Squeak get a lot of the credit as well. 

It was really a "Perfect Storm" of individuals coming together at the right time.  Very gratifying to me.

Lester

JC Jones

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »

Brad,

You must go there to appreciate and understand it. 

As Bill said, the left side of 12 fairway (ridge) the center ridge (between 12 and 18) and the right side of 18 were ALL THERE.  The coolness of the site is exactly what you are questioning. 

How much dirt was moved?  Very little thanks to what I consider a solid routing and one hell of a great contractor in Landscapes Unlimited.  Billy Kubly has turned more bad sites into good golf courses than most will golf architects will admit.  But here, we just worked really hard together to make the dirt work.  There is something to be said for an architect who spends "1000's of hours" on a project, but I assure you, if the understanding between architect and contractor is not crystal clear, you can not end up with something like Ballyhack.  Bills man on the site, Chris Kelly and his shapers Juice, Jose, and Squeak get a lot of the credit as well. 

It was really a "Perfect Storm" of individuals coming together at the right time.  Very gratifying to me.

Lester

Sounds good Lester.  You say it is near Roanoke?  I'll have to come check it out.  I agree, there is something to be said for an architect that spends 1000s of hours on the job.  One of the things I respect about Mike DeVries so much.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 10:59:09 AM »
Based on a few comments here, I just want to note that I have no affiliation with Ballyhack and have not yet been there to see it in person.

Scott_Burroughs

Re: More Ballyhack photos, from 24JUL
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »
Some photos from a week ago:

#11:

#5 green:

#9 & #1:

#12:

Cottage progress:

Michael Dugger

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
Latest round of pictures are solid.  Great work Scott, amazing what a nice sunny morning does for a guy.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Carl Rogers

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009, 08:28:40 PM »
Last Wednesday, Scott Weersing and I teed it up at Ballyhack as Lester's guest.  Great experience inspite of the 1 hour plus rain delay half way through the back nine.

What I come away from the course is the terrain scale contrast between the front nine and the back nine (a road bisects the course).  Very expansive front nine more reminiscient of the Rocky Mountain West.  Fast and firm, wide fairways but tough bunkering and natural grasses.  Super well done double green on the back nine (holes 13 & 15) ... carts are very necessary ... a lot of elevation change.

Thank you Lester!

Ken Fry

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2009, 10:07:50 PM »
I had the good fortune to tour Ballyhack August 3rd.  While I didn't play, I was able to ride around the property with my Dad, brother-in-law and nephew in tow.

My parents retired to Smith Mountain Lake outside Roanoke about 12 years ago.  I've become familiar with how extreme the elevation changes can become around the area.  After seeing photos of the course, I was very interested to see how Lester could route a course that would be fun and playable and not contrived with awkward climbs or extreme slopes.  What a wonderful routing and course on some pretty tough terrain.

Uphill tee shots like #1 and #11 appear harder than they'll play.  The fairways look to play more friendly than the intimidating view from the tee.

I love #6, a short downhill par 4.  There are so many options off the tee from from the very risky drive at the green to a nice area of fairway to lay back on.  Either choice, the green will still provide some fun approach shot options.

There are so many positives to the course it must be seen to be appreciated.  My only knock is walking the course is really not an option.  Some of the terrain from green to next tee would require a tether rope and sherpas in many instances.  Such is the beauty of the routing that these extreme movements are accomplished between holes and not during.

The course also provides different tee shot views, not just downhill all day long.  Holes will have golfers hitting up, down, over peeks to downhill fairways, through valleys and over chasms.  There's a great deal of variety.  Wind will be a constant factor on such a wide open area.

To Brad Swanson:  the hillside between #12 and #18 is certainly natural and looks phenomenal.  it separates two tough holes!

Lastly, the greens all have wonderful and creative movement.  Some of the greens have some EXTREME undulation and looked fun.

Jonathan Ireland was most welcoming and took great care of my group.  He's a first class guy and a great representative of the facility.

Lester, it was nice meeting you.  Congratulations on a wonderful course and all the best for it's future.

Ken

Scott_Burroughs

Re: More Ballyhack photos, with some fall colors pics
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2009, 11:41:02 AM »
Some professional pics taken in the fall:

#1:

#2 (left) & #5:

#4:

#5:

#5:

#6:

#8:

#9:

#13 & #15 green:

#15:

#16:

Jon Heise

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2009, 11:43:26 AM »
This course looks like Kingsley Club after it mated with Mike Strantz...
I still like Greywalls better.

Lester George

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
Scott,

Thanks again for posting these.  Merry Christmas.

Gentlemen,

Ballyhack is covered in snow right now but will come out of the spring as it went in...perfect playing conditions, fantastic mental intrigue and really special service and treatment. 

We have completed 3 cottages so you can all now come and stay over and play.  The cottages are very similar to the ones at Sutton Bay and are really comfortable. 

If you mention (in advance of coming)  to Jonathan Ireland (our GM) that you are a member of GCA, he will make sure you get the "member accompanied rate".  This will only last until Memorial Day, so book your reservations now as spring cottages are filling up. 

Hope to see many of you there.  If a large enough group of GCA'ers books a visit, I will come and give you a tour with Q&A if you guys want to do it.  Maybe some one like Tom Paul or Scott Borroughs or Tim Gavrich would voluntee to set it all up. 

Happy Holidays to all.

Lester

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2009, 12:59:40 PM »
Scott,

Thanks again for posting these.  Merry Christmas.

Gentlemen,

Ballyhack is covered in snow right now but will come out of the spring as it went in...perfect playing conditions, fantastic mental intrigue and really special service and treatment. 

We have completed 3 cottages so you can all now come and stay over and play.  The cottages are very similar to the ones at Sutton Bay and are really comfortable. 

If you mention (in advance of coming)  to Jonathan Ireland (our GM) that you are a member of GCA, he will make sure you get the "member accompanied rate".  This will only last until Memorial Day, so book your reservations now as spring cottages are filling up. 

Hope to see many of you there.  If a large enough group of GCA'ers books a visit, I will come and give you a tour with Q&A if you guys want to do it.  Maybe some one like Tom Paul or Scott Borroughs or Tim Gavrich would voluntee to set it all up. 

Happy Holidays to all.

I live <6 miles from the golf course and would be glad to help with a gathering.  Ballyhack is an incredibly special place; I encourage all of you to consider accepting Lester's kind invite to stay and play.

Happy holidays.

WW

Chris Flamion

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2009, 01:16:38 PM »
Every set of pictures just looks more and more amazing.  May have to try and find a way to include Roanoke in a Mid Atlantic vacation next summer.

Scott Warren

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2009, 01:32:38 PM »
I saw this course for the first time this afternoon, thumbing through one of Paul Daley's books - Vol.5 I think - at the book shop. Something about the pics immediately excited me. Looking at these now, I can't put my finger on what it is. The undulation perhaps? It just looks so bloody fun and exciting!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »
The members and guest who have played have had very positive comments and are having a lot of FUN playing the course.  It does look more ferocious than it really is. 

whew. looking at the pics i was thinking is this ballyhack or hackerbeware?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Nick Church

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2009, 05:14:01 PM »
That is a very generous & kind invite indeed.  I've enjoyed following the threads of the construction progress.

I'll have to check on the drive time from Nashville.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2009, 05:38:31 PM »
So, are my options off the tee Fairway or Lost Ball?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2009, 06:16:24 PM »
So, are my options off the tee Fairway or Lost Ball?
Kyle--

From spending a few hours looking at it before its grand opening, I would say that that is not really the case at Ballyhack.  The fairways are a good deal wider than the pictures show them to be.  Yes, there are a few holes where an errant drive to one side is going to find nastiness, but there is basically always a safe side, where a miss will be eminently findable.  You should definitely pop down and play it if you can.

I would love to help out the planning of a GCA event at Ballyhace in any way I can.  Being at school an hour away in Lexington, I would love to play it with some GCAers and hear more of Lester's thoughts about it.  Hopefully such an event wouldn't conflict with any of our Spring tournaments.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2009, 09:00:27 PM »
I finally did get out to play Ballyhack in late October and after going over my round, I realized I lost no balls (not counting 1 mulligan after a hosel rocket, which was still played).  I hit 5 balls in some kind of gunk & found & played them all.  That doesn't mean that lost balls aren't possible, they certainly are.  I just happened to hit the ball mostly well (until I reached the greens).  The fairways are mostly wide.  Play smart & the lost balls can be minimized.

ed_getka

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2009, 12:19:18 AM »
I would be interested in attending this spring if someone takes the bull by the horns and sets a date.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »

One of the most fun rounds of the year for me was at Ballyhack back in July. It is a fun links course with some of the largest greens I have ever played. Lester is one of the nicest and hardest working guys I have ever met.

I loved hanging out with Lester during a rainstorm and hearing the stories of how they turned a dairy farm into an amazing golf course.

Andy Hughes

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2009, 01:28:15 PM »
Thanks for the new pics Scott. The place continues to look fantastic.

If something is set up for the Spring, I am sure the DC gang (Jerry and Chip and I and others) would be thrilled to attend.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Lester George

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »

Wade Whiehead is hereby pronounced the event coordinator with Tim Gavrich as first alternate assitant.  Both of theses guys have seen and played (among others here) but they both live close by.  Wade lives right around the corner and knows Jonathan so he gets the nod.  Wade, sorry, I should have thought of that myself.

Here are some dates I can do it if you guys want to stay over.

April 16-18
May 7-9

Wade would you please check those dates out with Jonathan? 

Gents, 

I tend to have no spring weekends available but I think I could commit to these.  If these dates don't suit, you guys can pick others.  Ballyhack is amazing in the spring so I suugesst that time frame.  If we get enough interested, we will play some kind of team event.  We'll let Jonathan and Wade work out the details.  We will put a hold on the cottages for those weekends until we guage interest.  Remember, we can currently sleep 12.

Lets make this work.  See you then.  Wade, you have the ball, okay?

Lester   

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2009, 06:37:07 PM »

Wade Whiehead is hereby pronounced the event coordinator with Tim Gavrich as first alternate assitant.  Both of theses guys have seen and played (among others here) but they both live close by.  Wade lives right around the corner and knows Jonathan so he gets the nod.  Wade, sorry, I should have thought of that myself.

Here are some dates I can do it if you guys want to stay over.

April 16-18
May 7-9

Wade would you please check those dates out with Jonathan? 

Gents, 

I tend to have no spring weekends available but I think I could commit to these.  If these dates don't suit, you guys can pick others.  Ballyhack is amazing in the spring so I suugesst that time frame.  If we get enough interested, we will play some kind of team event.  We'll let Jonathan and Wade work out the details.  We will put a hold on the cottages for those weekends until we guage interest.  Remember, we can currently sleep 12.

Lets make this work.  See you then.  Wade, you have the ball, okay?

Lester   

I am honored at my appointment and will do what I can to help.  I know that the May dates are better for me, as we'll hopefully be winning our conference championship over that April weekend at Bay Creek in Cape Charles.  If indeed we win and qualify for the NCAAs, the May weekend would be perfect for me, but of course I am just one potential Ballyhacker.

Anyone on the fence about maybe getting in on this event should definitely come to the Roanoke side of that fence.

Cheers.

--First Assistant Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back