News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

The Modern Redan
« on: June 22, 2009, 11:08:08 PM »
Think a little outside the box: although it is a little downhill and more in front of you,for the modern game doesn't the 8th at Oakmont from the back tees play like the redan did for N Berwick golfers 100 years ago?The rough in front gives the short bunker feel,a running shot is required and it breaks a little right to left.No flying a 5 iron to the hole then at NB ,nor now at Oakmont when the hole is 290ish.I concede that the ocean roar of the turnpike is on the wrong side.

Bill_McBride

Re: The Modern Redan
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »
Where's the falling away tilt?  The angled, tilted green is key to the Redan and I remember nothing but a big flat far away green from my two plays years ago.

mike_beene

Re: The Modern Redan
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 12:04:43 AM »
Bill ,what you really want to say is "go read the understanding the redan thread." Yes the green is fairly flat,but at Oakmont speeds it runs much quicker that the old greens with more slope. My thought is just that 8 plays more like a redan did 100 years ago than any true redan we have,including the true redan. (for you its the real El Guapo-from the Three Amigos)Obviously time for bed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back