News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

R_Paulis

The Demise of the Maligned New
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:43:58 PM »
Sandpiper's closest neighbor, Glenn Annie, is much maligned and with good reason. It's crammed into a location that's inappropriately small for an 18 hole course and half of it is placed on an extreme hillside. Cart paths with abundant speed bumps snake their way around the entire course so one gets to hear the squealing of tires and banging of bags echoing against the hillside for the entire round.

Dramatic views of the Santa Barbara Channel and its islands from a few tees and at least one green do add a few bonus but provide little relief what is usually a painful golfing experience.

Still, I am a bit melancholy with the announcement of the closing of Glenn Annie today. Perhaps it has just a little bit to do with the location of my one, and sure to be only, men's club championship (albeit the B flight) in the early 2000's.

http://pacbiztimes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=926&Itemid=1
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 05:11:34 PM by R_Paulis »

R_Paulis

Re: The Demise of a Maligned Course
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 10:54:23 PM »
And before I get slammed for lack of accuracy, there are a few courses that might be considered by some to be located between Sandpiper and Glenn Annie. Let's not forget the hat trick of nine-holers: Ocean Meadows (aka Ocean Ghettos) located next to UCSB, Twin Lakes located next to 101, and my personal favorite Hidden Oaks located next to Hope Ranch and the sans clothing beach...

mike_beene

Re: The Demise of a Maligned Course
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 11:15:32 PM »
So you're saying Hidden Oaks is an unfortunate and perhaps misleading name?

R_Paulis

Re: The Demise of a Maligned Course New
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 12:11:05 AM »
Hidden Oaks Golf Club is best described as an executive pitch and putt gem. Designed by Billy Casper and opened in 1969, the course is aptly hidden in a wooden ravine facing the Santa Ynez Mountain Range squeezed between a bike path and a condo development. I'm unclear if it's located in the city of Goleta, for the course butts up against the unincorporated private community of Hope Ranch - the location of the oft discussed La Cumbre Country Club. The flat stick, a wedge, and maybe a shorter iron are needed for the longest hole is about 170 with most under 120 yards. It's not a bad date outing for those who want a cheap ($10), quick round with their partners that may not enjoy playing that much.

I've conveniently forgotten the name of the sans clothing beach but the unofficial street parking for said beach is off the #2 tee. There's an entertaining sign separating the Hope Ranch beach from the "other" beach that says something to the effect that clothing is not optional past this point. I'm quite familiar with the area for I had the pleasure of living in Hope Ranch for a few years. I would often wake up to the mowers and he the clattering of early morning La Cumbre golfers since I lived off one of the par 3's.

Perhaps I should submit a course review of Hidden Oaks to GCA some day.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 12:56:36 AM by R_Paulis »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back