News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

An Open letter to David Schmidt..........
« on: June 22, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »
Dear David,

After your diatribe on the imperfections of Bethpage Black when the leader at the time was twelve under par, have you had a twinge of regret knowing that a very respectable four under won all the marbles?

A great last round viewing for all and some emotional unertones to boot.

Your old Pal.

Bob

John Moore II

Re: An Open letter to David Schmidt..........
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:38:08 PM »
Bob, methinks Dave doesn't care what the final score was. He's still just pissed about the bashing Olympia Fields took back in 2003 and wants to give the same thing to Bethpage. Maybe in a few minutes, he'll piss and moan about Tiger going deep at Pebble and Gil Morgan being 12 under I think there at one point in 1991. He's just pissed, it will go away in a little while...until this situation happens again.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:40:10 PM »
Bob,

I think Shivas is in Cabo now and he is just going through some sort of weird mid-life crisis focused on things PINK:

http://purefnevyl.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/jessica-simpson-pink-bikini-cabo-animated.gif

Cristian

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »
Bob,

I think Shivas is in Cabo now and he is just going through some sort of weird mid-life crisis focused on things PINK:

http://purefnevyl.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/jessica-simpson-pink-bikini-cabo-animated.gif

By the look of it not all in Cabo is fast and firm either...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:50:43 PM »
Bob,

You would still play it though....right?
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Cristian

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 09:04:44 PM »
Bob,

I'm tempted to react using words like pin placement, tight lie, Hand watering, Bikini Waxing and cutting the greens, but in stead I am going to say goodbye to this thread... It's become OT anyway

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 09:08:45 PM »
Bob,

there is some inappropriate comment in there about brown being good, but I'll refrain....
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 02:26:48 AM »
Dear Dave,
I wanted you to see this, hopefully it will calm your mood:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090620/ap_on_sp_go_su/glf_us_open
The headline of the article is: A record score on a pushover US Open course

Happy now that the press was laying into Bethpage?

Best thanks,
John

tlavin

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »
Dear David,

After your diatribe on the imperfections of Bethpage Black when the leader at the time was twelve under par, have you had a twinge of regret knowing that a very respectable four under won all the marbles?

A great last round viewing for all and some emotional unertones to boot.

Your old Pal.

Bob

How in the world did I miss this thread until now?

Bob, no regrets.  My diatribe was an apples to apples comparison of the 36-hole stories at BPB and Olympia Fields.  I think I made my case with the New York Times's 36-hole stories.  One compared Olympia Fields to En Joie and the B.C. Open.  The other said that the mighty Black course had been rendered defenseless.

I expected the scores to come back.  Frankly, most of the scoring increase in the last two rounds was attributable to the sorry condition of the greens - bumpy and slow and full of footprints.  (Maybe that's part of the new Mike Davis set-up, too.)

Anyway, as I said, I think Bethpage Black is a terriffic course.  I think the same of Olympia Fields North.  I found it highly unfair to skewer the latter and but make excuses for the former after 36 holes as a result of the same set of circumstances - softness, low rough and no wind.

Anyway, everybody who knows me knows that devil's advocacy is my M.O. once groupthink sets in, so shame on anybody who actually believed that I meant anything I wrote....  ;D 

I can tell you first-hand that the members at Olympia are still fuming.  I was there over the weekend and the 73rd hole erupted when Johnny Miller dissed Olympia thusly: "That wasn't a US Open course.  No rough."  The absence of rough was a setup decision, not a problem with the golf course itself.  The club and the USGA can't control the weather, but when it happens in New York, it's a heroic occasion, when it happens in Chicago, we are called a goat track.

The simple truth is that both courses are terrific.  Both are Open worthy.  But both are susceptible to the pros going low if the course is soft and the rough isn't very deep.  The Bethpage supporters are lucky that they already had a successful Open with good weather; the media gave them a pass this time around, appropriately so, when the scores were well under par.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 12:55:14 PM »
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines."  --Emerson

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »

Anyway, everybody who knows me knows that devil's advocacy is my M.O. once groupthink sets in, so shame on anybody who actually believed that I meant anything I wrote....  ;D  

Dave,

You should change your avatar to this...  ::)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »
Actually, it's almost always misquoted without the "foolish" at the beginning.

At least I didn't opine on who's being foolish here.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back