News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Wagner

Can't think of a more BORING Open site...
« on: June 20, 2009, 07:27:49 PM »
BB has got to have the most boring green complexes in Open history.  Is anyone enjoying watching this?  I see nothing of architectural interest other than it's long....big deal.

Ronald Montesano

Re: Can't think of a more BORING Open site...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »
Television restricts three dimensional viewing into two.  We like Augusta because the announcers tell us to like it.  Once you've walked and played the Black, you'll never make that statement again.  However, I should point out that Dan Jenkins wrote something similar in 2002, when reporting on the first Open at the Black.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 08:41:32 PM »
I do agree that around the greens it's shooting fish in a barrel for these guys.

Couple that with modern technology that let's these guys carry the ball amazing distances, the soft fairways, which limit runout on slopes, and the greens holding 3 wood shots with a ball mark, and it's target practice.

The last pieces are not the course's fault.

The first part is a more than fair criticism.

I'm left to think....my lord, I sure hope they don't decide to neuter that 12th and 15th greens at Merion out of some sense of "fairness" prior to the 2013 US Open as has been discussed and proposed.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
What is it that you are after, Travis greens and steroidal Tillinghast length?  You cannot have it all on one course, hence the purpose for a rotation of courses.  Are St. Andrews Old's greens coupled with Carnoustie's fairways in some mad Scottish clone operation, producing sheep?  No.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Wagner

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »
Ronald,

I'm not talking about Augusta....I'm talking about the US Open.  All I'm saying is BB has the MOST boring greens of any Open....EVER.  They're just not interesting.  I didn't see one person struggle with 15 footer - didn't look like any greens scared them.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:42:50 PM »
Ronald,

I'm not talking about Augusta....I'm talking about the US Open.  All I'm saying is BB has the MOST boring greens of any Open....EVER.  They're just not interesting.  I didn't see one person struggle with 15 footer - didn't look like any greens scared them.

Mike,

If anyone says that Bethpage has greens that would make aTop 1000 list they probably have not seen much in terms of golf courses. Split Rock GC (NYC muni) in The Bronx has better greens.

Yet look at Shivas statements about the course before this week. Look at all the rating list(s). Look at Ran's review. The course from tee to green is probably Top 10 in the US.

After this week, the USGA may demand USGA greens to bring it back. Maybe it is the right time to put some spice in the greens.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »

After this week, the USGA may demand USGA greens to bring it back. Maybe it is the right time to put some spice in the greens.

Oh lord...just what the world needs.   Another set of multi-level, segmented, Rees Jones greens.   ::)  ;)

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:51:10 PM »

Oh lord...just what the world needs.   Another set of multi-level, segmented, Rees Jones greens.   ::)  ;)

Mike,

I would prefer the guy (Foster?) who did Baltimore to do BB greens, but that is not going to happen. Focus your Philly troops on Merion retaining 5, 12 and 15!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 09:53:18 PM »

Mike,

I would prefer the guy (Foster?) who did Baltimore to do BB greens, but that is not going to happen. Focus your Philly troops on Merion retaining 5, 12 and 15!

Mike,

No kidding!!!

If the USGA learns anything this week, it should be that interesting greens make for interesting golf.

All the length in the world isn't going to stop these guys rolling in 20 footers at will on flat greens.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 10:12:15 PM »
I can't tell form TV if the greens are boring or not, but I'll tell you that BB looks more interesting tee to green than Torrey Pines South. Now that is a boring Open site.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 10:53:25 PM »
Mike- Have you ever played or walked the course?

As others have pointed out, TV cameras don't really do the greens justice.

There are enough interesting subtleties to the greens that make BB far from BORING.

Not every great course has to have Doak-Balllyneal greens to be an exciting, thrilling and wonderful test of golf.

Unfortunate that the rain has taken most of the bite out but I'm not sure Tiger and several others would agree that they're that BORING, that is until they start making a bunch more 12-15 footers.

Chris

Mike Wagner

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 11:23:59 PM »
Chris,

I have not played or walked the course.  I will concede that they're tough.  All I'm saying is that they probably are the most boring US OPEN greens, that's all.  I just can't remember any Open that seemed so boring on the greens.  Granted, the weather is a actor in this, but it was roughly the same thing last time.  It's just not my taste or an Open...I'd rather see interesting greens - 4 or 5 foot putts that make you shake - I'm not seeing any of that.

I'm also not saying I'd like to see Ballyneal-esque (love 'em!) greens either....I just haven't seen any interesting putts the entire telecast.

Kenny Baer

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »
I find that statement bizarre; "BPB has nothing of Arch. Interest"  Could explain further?  I find it fascinating, one of Tillie's best courses challenging the best players in the world.  What about #4 lacks arch interest, what about 15, #5, #1, #2, #10...the list goes on...what makes a golf course great to you?  What courses hold your interest; to me the least compelling thing about golf courses on TV are the green sites because you CAN NOT see any of the undulations no matter how wild they are.

Ben Sims

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
Mike,

Agreed.  I just haven't seen a ton of cool shots within the green complexes.  BB makes up for it with its tee to green slug fest that--even on camera--makes the players look tiny. 

I do think that the conditions have slowed the greens significantly. 

Mike Wagner

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 11:37:30 PM »
Kenny,

I see a lot of architectural interest in the course....just not the greens - for a US Open.  They just don't have "fright factor" of most other Open sites.  I think the course is tremendous - period.  I don't think there's any debating the BB test is the length/trouble from tee to green.  They're just pretty relaxed US Open greens, and I find it to be quite boring.

I'm not attacking the course, just saying it's not typical US Open exciting.  

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 12:57:32 AM »
For once and for all, lend me your ears and eyes, I come to praise Bethpage, not to bury it, yadda yadda yadda...Tiger, when interviewed, indicated that he is slamming putts due to their slowness.  Not only can't they cut and roll them there surfaces, but the greens are so damp from the water that there is no speed, no firmness, no break.  THAT IS WHY THEY APPEAR BORING!!!  Get them up to the 13.5 to 14 on the old Stimpmeter (as Davis had hoped) and report back to me.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kirk

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 01:27:17 AM »
The course features more sharp doglegs than most or all other U.S. Open venues.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 01:38:48 AM »
I hope the V Grooves really make a difference on approaches to the greens because there is nothing more ridiculous than seeing someone hitting in from 175 from fescue or deep rough, landing the ball and yanking it back 5 to 10 feet. It is ridiculous.

Although the greens do look pretty flat on TV - it was amazing that Tiger, Ogilvy, etc. were still missing putts that looked like they had to go in.

In some ways the repetitive elevated green complexes are a bit of a muchness, but they really do illustrate the scale of BB.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 03:44:01 AM »
Bob Huntley is probably asleep, and Tom Doak probably has better things to do than repeat the same post year after year, so I, abandoning an attempt to get out to Long Island (to golf, not golf watch) after having sat at the airport two nights in a row attempting to get out there, take up the mantle to make this oft-repeated point:

Having a course hold a major championship by itself tells us NOTHING about its architectural merit.  If "holding up" against the best players in the world were the standard, Butler National would be a far superior course to Cypress Point.  While I know one person who actually thinks that, more or less, we have and will learn nothing about whether Bethpage Black is a great course design as a result of the result (or the existence) of the US Opens there.

Was Oakmont a lesser design after Miller shot 63?  After Larry Nelson shot 65-66 in the last 2 rounds?  Was it better because Cabrera won at Plus a million?  Beats me, but I doubt it.
That was one hellacious beaver.

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 09:12:05 AM »
As someone who lives here and plays the Black regularly..........

I will agree that BB's green complexes are pretty uninspired.  There is a sameness to them.

They generally have two looks:

1: Elevated  green in an island of 2 inch bluegrass: 2,3 (level),5,6 (downhill),10,15,17.

2: Level or or downhill green with 5-10 yard opening at fairway center-line completely surrounded by bunkers: 1,7,9,11,12,16,18.

There are  4 exceptions:

4 green of course is special  with the access from the right, the chipping swale behind, and the green running away.

8 has the only water in play on the course and sits in an interesting hollow.

13 has the cross bunker short and a wide opening left and over the X-bunker

and 14 with the uniquely large and interesting green shape with the death slope long makes it different from the templates (like it or not).

That being said, BB is as fine a driving course as one can find.  If you can commit to aggressive lines off the tee and execute, the reward for distance and on some holes angle is substantial.

It's definitely not (with a few exceptions) a second shot golf course.....the greens and surrounds are just not interesting enough to require it.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »
As someone who lives here and plays the Black regularly..........

I will agree that BB's green complexes are pretty uninspired.  There is a sameness to them.

They generally have two looks:

1: Elevated  green in an island of 2 inch bluegrass: 2,3 (level),5,6 (downhill),10,15,17.

2: Level or or downhill green with 5-10 yard opening at fairway center-line completely surrounded by bunkers: 1,7,9,11,12,16,18.

There are  4 exceptions:

4 green of course is special  with the access from the right, the chipping swale behind, and the green running away.

8 has the only water in play on the course and sits in an interesting hollow.

13 has the cross bunker short and a wide opening left and over the X-bunker

and 14 with the uniquely large and interesting green shape with the death slope long makes it different from the templates (like it or not).

That being said, BB is as fine a driving course as one can find.  If you can commit to aggressive lines off the tee and execute, the reward for distance and on some holes angle is substantial.

It's definitely not (with a few exceptions) a second shot golf course.....the greens and surrounds are just not interesting enough to require it.

What drugs are you on??? Can you send some over here??

Please tell me how unsubtle or same the 5th, 9th, 11th,14th,15th,16th, and 17th greens are. Tell me how the green/bunker complexes at 3 5, 6, 9, 10, 11,12,13,15,16,17,18  don't place acute premiums on approach shots. You say you've played the Black, but it doesn't sound like you've paid too much attention.

Have you ever played Winged Foot, Quaker Ridge, Ridgewood or Fenway? Those Tillie greens are either elevated (WF & Ridgewood) or level and downhills, with 5-10yd openings (QR and Fenway) yet nary any semi-knowledgeable GCA fan would call those uninspiring! Sure the Black has some flat greens (2,6,7 and 18) but the others all have a range of contouring that becomes quite challenging at speed. Ask the pros what they think  about it being a 2nd shot course. Phil and Tiger definitely don't agree with you.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Kyle Harris

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 10:35:16 AM »
Tiger was throwing darts to within 20 feet on 5-8, and missed every one.

The hole location on 18 was misread inside of 10 feet by the likes of Ogilvy, Stricker, Ryan Moore, Jiminez and Ryan Moore.

The 4th green is such a strategic gem in terms of playing the hole from the tee that I can't think of how to make it better.

Leave the greens be.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 10:45:13 AM »
The same comments about benign greens were made prior to the 2002 Open and the greens proved to be a good challenge. I vaguely recall the first day TV coverage showing the amount of break some putts had to discourage the notion that they were flat, rather than gently rolling.

Any well designed course will play easier in wet conditions, both allowing approaches to get hit closer rather than to the middle of the green and in reducing break on the greens.  I think BP is probably fine, especially considering the Open gets there once a decade or so and funtions as a public golf course the rest of the time.  If it were dry, the greens would be of US Open quality.

That said, you are entitled to your opinion, and it has some merit, even if perhaps overstated a wee bit!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2009, 11:06:22 AM »
I have played Quaker and WF(W).....I found both courses much more interesting from the tee box than from the fairway.  And with only some exceptions, I found many of the approaches at those courses VERY similar and dare I say it ......pretty boring.  The difference at WFW is there are internal countours on most of those greens that might dictate some ball flighting in firm conditions, and many more whose back to front slope require controlling spin in any condition.  

But we were discussing Bethpage Black, weren't we.

Bethpage places an "acute premium on approach shots" because of the penalty of missing greens, not because of the inability to hold the green, avoid a three putt, or get it close without the proper ball flight and trajectory.   If you find that inspiring than we may agree to disagree and call it a matter of taste.

No green at BB has the size, movement, or playing angles to mandate any sort of shot making on approaches.  A step further, I would offer.....hitting high shots of any shape to the middle of every green would yield an under par round to the majority of tour pros with some semblance of a short game to account for the greens he misses.   Additionally, on most approaches, Players would rather hit an awful shot in order to be in a wayward "greenside" bunker than in rough 15 inches off the fringe.

Well-struck approach shots even firm condition that hit the greens will not bound away from pins because the were on the wrong angle of attack or aimed at the wrong portion of the green.

Any handicap player can see what he needs to do on every approach from the middle of the fairway......great for a daily fee facility, but not necessarily interesting or inspiring.

What you can't do is miss the fairway.

Are you really trying to argue that BB has great greens?  and diverse and varied green complexes....really??

Do you think there's any coincidence that the USGA broke the stimp record in '02 to in order to add some kind of challenge to them at 14.5?

I do acknowledge a few rules on some of the approaches, other than hit it high:

Unless the pin is in the botom swale (where it never is), be long on 15, at least middle or back.  And if the rough is low enough you can use the hill left.

Being on the proper side of 17 will help avoid a potential 3 putt.

Don't be long on 1, 2 (that rough is juicy), 3, 12, 13, 14, 17.

Be long on 4, 10.

And "subtle" greens, like "subtle" people, don't make demands....they generally make suggestions to willing listeners, but in the end accept whatever they're given.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 11:16:02 AM by Nicholas Coppolo »

Steve Lapper

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2009, 11:36:01 AM »
I have played Quaker and WF(W).....I found both courses much more interesting from the tee box than from the fairway.  And with only some exceptions, I found many of the approaches at those courses VERY similar and dare I say it ......pretty boring.  The difference at WFW is there are internal countours on most of those greens that might dictate some ball flighting in firm conditions, and many more whose back to front slope require controlling spin in any condition.  

But we were discussing Bethpage Black, weren't we.

Bethpage places an "acute premium on approach shots" because of the penalty of missing greens, not because of the inability to get it hold the green, avoid a three putt, or get it close without the proper ball flight and trajectory.   If you find that inspiring than we may agree to disagree and call it a matter of taste.

No green at BB has the size, movement, or playing angles to mandate any sort of shot making on approaches.  A step further, I would offer.....hitting high shots of any shape to the middle of every green would yield an under par round to any the majority of tour pros with some semblance of a short game to account for the greens he misses.   Additionally, on most approaches, Players would rather hit an awful shot in order to be in a wayward "greenside" bunker than in rough 15 inches off the fringe.

There are no approach shots on firm condition that hit the greens and bound away from pins because the were on the wrong angle of attack or aimed at the wrong portion of the green.

Any handicap player can see what he needs to do on every approach from the middle of the fairway......great for a daily fee facility, but not necessarily interesting or inspiring.

What you can't do is miss the fairway.

Are you really trying to argue that BB has great greens?  and diverse and varied green complexes....really??

Do you think there's any coincidence that the USGA broke the stimp record in '02 to in order to add some kind of challenge to them at 14.5?

I do acknowledge a few rules on some the approaches, other than hit it high:

Unless the pin is in the botom swale (where it never is), be long on 15, at least middle or back.  And if the rough is low enough you can use the hill left.

Being on the proper side of 17 will help avoid a potential 3 putt.

Don't be long on 1, 2 (that rough is juicy), 3, 12, 13, 14, 17.

Be long on 4, 10.

And "subtle" greens, like "subtle" people, don't make demands....they generally make suggestions to willing listeners, but in the end accept whatever they're given.

Okay Nick, You don't appear to be much of a Tilly fan. Having grown up on his course, I am. That out of the way, let's examine a few of the Black's greens with the assumption that they are running fast and aren't sopping wet:

1) Moderately sloped back-to-front and easy to 3 putt from back to front pin(s).
2) Flattish and boring...agreed
3) Crowned and offset, tough to get to certain pin placements. Wrong angles of attack do bounce through this one.
4) Sloped front to back and very easy to screw up if you aren't in the right place to approach. Again head on angles are tough to hold. Only from the open right side does this green yield much.
5) Slightly bowled, one of the course's two most difficult approach shots. Anything more severe would be goofy IMO. No one can see the green on this one, can they?
6) Like #2, slightly canted, but nothing too special.
7) Tucked pins here are tough to get to.
8) Slope dictates shot and aggressive lines.
9) Very easy to get short-sided and tough to make par if you are coming in to a right pin from the right side.
10) Long 2nd shot prevents too undulating a green. Middle of fairway doesn't leave an easy straightforward look
11) SO easy to be wrong sided here. Very easy to get kicked off the green right. The offset angle is quite deceptive.
12) Slope and cant make a front pin eminently three-puttable from the back of the green.
13) Deceptively subtle on the green right half, but not too tough.
14) New green makes three putts very, very easy if you are on wrong side of the green, away from the pin. Speed and cant are very evident.
15) C'mon, all the pros will tell you this is one really tough green to get anywhere close without an absolute laser-precise approach shot.
16) Again, this is one tough green to get to a tucked-right pin. Offset angle fool plenty.
17) Like you said
18) Boring...agreed.

Oakmont, Pinehurst Pebble and WFW all have tougher green complexes for sure, but if green speeds were to yield what the USGA wanted this week, the Black's greens wouldn't disappoint and certainly wouldn't be described as boring. They aren't dramatic, but sometimes subtlety is preferred.???
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back