News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Many watching this year's US Open are aware of the rain issues impacting the event.

However ...

The USGA created a major fumble when they announced that those who had tickets for
Thursday's first round would NEITHER receive ...

1). A refund on their tickets

2). A raincheck for another round of the event

The USGA proclaimed that a sufficient amount of golf was played yesterday (roughly three hours from
7:00 AM to about 10:00 AM) and that because of that they cannot provide either of the options I outlined
above.

Needless to say, the reaction in the NY area is OUTRIGHT ANGER TO THE MAX.

Sports talk radio was jumping with plenty of comments as people were rightly pissed in my mind.

The amount of play -- shall I call it that from Thursday -- was next to nothing. Anyone arriving after 10:00 AM would not have seen a single shot played.

No doubt the rain isn't the fault of anyone -- but the USGA should show better sense and provide either option for the fans who were caught in a situation that clearly was one that needs some rightful correction.

I can tell you this -- get New Yorkers and those attending really mad at such a side issue and it can really impact the rest of the event because heavy t-storms are expected this Saturday.

Likely this event will be heading into Monday at the earliest for a conclusion.

Rick Sides

Re: THE USGA'S MAJOR FUMBLE AT BETHPAGE ... NO REFUND OR RAINCHECK !
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 11:03:37 AM »
Financially, golf is suffering and  losing potential golfers  This is a REALLY dumb move on the part of the USGA!

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 11:05:38 AM »
There going to let them in on Monday if there is play.  That's doing enough in my mind.

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:06:14 AM »
If the forecast for the rest of the weekend is dodgy I can't imagine this decision is going to encourage anyone to come out and watch.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:06:21 AM »
I heard that if play goes to Monday that Thursday tickets will be honored. Better than nothing I guess.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:07:01 AM »
Fine business minds at work.   ::)

Of course these type decisions are easier made when you're not the owner of the business.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 11:08:55 AM »
Kyle:

The Monday option doesn't work for everyone -- the USGA should have provided via their Website an option for either a complete refund or a make-up day at the option of those holding tickets for Thursday.

Simply saying that Monday is the solution doesn't work for everyone.

I can tell you this -- the USGA needs to realize that if the goal is building the game -- this is one sure way to go the opposite direction.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 11:12:55 AM »
Kyle:

The Monday option doesn't work for everyone -- the USGA should have provided via their Website an option for either a complete refund or a make-up day at the option of those holding tickets for Thursday.

Simply saying that Monday is the solution doesn't work for everyone.

I can tell you this -- the USGA needs to realize that if the goal is building the game -- this is one sure way to go the opposite direction.

It doesn't need to work for everyone.  There policy was in place when everyone bought their tickets and it is what it is.  If they want to go to another day's play there are plenty of tickets available.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 11:17:14 AM »
I remember when the Monday practice round was rained out at the Masters, 2003 I believe.  About a month later I received a refund from the tournament, even though the tickets clearly said no refund for inclement weather.  Very classy, the USGA should follow this example. 

Dunlop_White

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »
Same policy at The Masters.

Rick Sides

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 11:23:06 AM »
It's hard to believe the USGA said Thursday was enough golf when half the morning was spent watching the grounds crew squeegie!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
Kyle:

You must not understand the situation or maybe the english I write isn't clear enough -- the average person going there who paid for tickets for Thursday -- should not have to look for another day and pay whatever that rate is -- even if it's low via Ebay, Stubhub, et al. The issue is that the USGA should have a policy that if play is suspended for the day -- those with paid tickets for THAT day can either apply for a refund or pick another day of their choosing for the rest of the event.

Pissing people off doesn't work to anyone's advantage ... the amount of anger via sports talk radio and the newspapers is taking away from the event and with Saturday planning to be a mega rain day -- it's best to be a bit more flexible. The manner by which Augusta handled the situation as posted by others is the more classy way in handling such things.

Rick:

Agreed ... to say that Thursday provided sufficient golf action is an affront to those who treked to the course that day.

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 11:36:45 AM »
In terms of wanting to go another day of the tournament and to play devil's advocate--say 5,000 people who went Thursday would like to go Saturday.  As Fay said in his press conference, since the event is sold out, and operations directors say the grounds cannot safely handle more than the sold out capacity, how do you accommodate them? To his point, Wimbledon, the British Open, and the US Open in Flushing have an even weaker policy of 2 hours defining a full day and that has never been a source of fury on sports radio.  I can see a refund or partial refund, but being able to go on another day just isn't operationally feasible.

Isn't this the risk you take when you buy tickets to a sold out golf tournament?

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 11:41:30 AM »
Steve,

It is a risk and I agree the USGA does not owe any ticket holder anything by the letter, but they should offer a full refund. I understand when you are dealing with daily tickets they can't let people pick another day to go, and I am sure for many people they couldn't go another day anyway. 

If nothing else they could send the ticket holders left over 2009 US Open merchandise as a goodwill gesture. 

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 11:43:37 AM »
It's a business.  They owe the ticket holders nothing and are going above and beyond by offering a chance to see the Championship finish on Monday.  Let the talking heads talk.  What is said on talk radio won't take anything away from a US Open.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 11:45:35 AM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Steve Kupfer

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 11:48:51 AM »
Kyle - I have to agree with you. The reality is that anything they provide --leftover merchandise, partial refunds, tickets to next year-- are all above and beyond.  Not to say that it wouldn't be detrimental not to offer something out of goodwill--but it certainly isn't their obligation.  The writing is clear on the tickets--as it always has been---the risk you take with buying them is a couple hours of rainy golf. 

If you don't want to take that risk, then sit at home and watch instead of buying tickets.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 11:49:41 AM »
Mark P:

Well said ... clearly you understand good will and customer satisfaction.

Kyle:

Appreciate the nobleman's approach to the masses. You don't seem to have your priroities in order -- it's the fans who support the game -- the USGA is in the business in growing the game. Pissing people off doesn't do that. I can only hope this message reaches the upper levels of the castle you reside.

Steve:

Think of it this way -- when the USGA unilaterally picks a day and say this is the only option or you get nothing back (the stated Monday alternative) is not an option.

People can be stuck-in-the-muds (no pun intended) and say well that's the risk you get when you buy a ticket. Just realize this that championship round tickets from the USGA were sold at $100 for the day !!! I do realize that tickets can be had for lesser amounts but those who purchased further in advance need a bit more positive response.

How bout showing more flexibility -- the refund option is clearly something that many will do. Let's say that you did have people wanting to go to another round -- you can honor up to a certain number that day since scanners do scan tickets. You can state that if people can't make the number for that given alternate day they can either come back for another day or simply get a refund. The situation should be to give the customer the widest array of choices -- not have them dictated to as to what is the only course that be followed.

Steve, you say either a refund or partial refund -- the latter is not an option because it's unfair since the golf was three hours tops and the bulk of the people simply saw nothing as play ended at 10:00 AM. A 100% refund is the only way to go if the dynamics of refund mean anything.

One other thing -- BB has the capacity to handle 50,000 people on-site. This was the numbers back in '02 and they have the wherewithal to handle that many if need be,

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 11:49:47 AM »
Weren't the tickets sold in a package for the whole week including a possible Monday playoff?  Those who bought the package get to see all 72 holes. 

Steve Lapper

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 11:53:26 AM »
DUMB, DUMB & DUMBER!!!

The fools charged with finance in Far Hills have committed an error one writer notes, "they will come to regret." In their eagerness to capture and retain revenues from their primary $$-making event, they've made an egregiously poor business decision that will undeniably hurt both the USGA brand and the future of the game.

Anecdotally, my nearby neighbor went up yesterday. He took his 14 yr old son and three of his friends. Two of three aren't members of private clubs and play at local munis. Over $600+ and 10+ hours were expended by my frined....all with nearly ZERO to show for it. Told, upon leaving the grounds, that their tkts had NO value going forward, bitterness filled the car ride home and they unanimously agreed to never again bother with a USGA event!! Trey (the neighbor) vowed to rip up his USGA membership and never again renew any level of membership with them!  One adult and at least four kids are now long-time alienated to the USGA and big-ticket golf spectating!

Most any business I've ever respected treasures their brand and is vigilantly conscious of any decision that might impair that brand. Even as venerable a sports institution like the NY Yankees have recognized the potential damage realized from their dumb decision to raise prices (more a function of bad timing than a proactive decision) and revisited their policies seeking to protect their fan base. The USGA has made a decision to ignore this and it's clear to me that such a short-term gain will yield a long-term pain.

EARTH TO FAR HILLS!!!!!!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike Benham

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »

How many daily tickets were sold vs. weekly badges?

How do you facilitate a refund to someone who bought it from a scapler or legitimate ticket broker?  Do you get the face value back or  the premium you paid?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
I looked at the US Tennis Open site and if a session is canceled due to weather then you can exchange for another session selected by the USTA if one is available or you can exchange for the following year - there is no mention of refunds.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 12:07:54 PM »

How many daily tickets were sold vs. weekly badges?

How do you facilitate a refund to someone who bought it from a scapler or legitimate ticket broker?  Do you get the face value back or  the premium you paid?

1) Who knows...but it hardly matters
2) This why there should not be a $$ refund, but instead some consideration (future events/discounts/mercahndise credit)

As for scalper/source of tkt...again, doesn't matter...all tkts originally sold by USGA

USGA GETS SMART AND OFFERS MONDAY ADMIT FOR THURSDAY TKTS....DOPES WISE UP!!!!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Richard Choi

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 12:09:38 PM »
Most of the tickets were sold as weekly passes so this is not going to affect that many people.

There will be Monday play - GUARANTEED! - unless there is some miracle weather changes, so again, this is moot point.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 12:32:41 PM »
I don't get why it's a big deal. Considering if any of the angry New Yorkers (do they come any other way??) checked the weather for the weekend they would see they essentially have a guaranteed Final Round ticket for Monday as it's going to rain all day tomorrow there.

And most of the tickets sold are weekly passes.

And if you have an all day ticket you should of been there before 10am...and probably should of been there asap at 6am on the practice tee. People who don't care enough to get there early should be calling radio shows after the fact complaining.

And not to mention the tickets in NYC aren't exactly flying off the shelves...you can get them for below face value on EBay.

And you would think with all the Opens NYC gets they wouldn't have anything to complain about.  ;)
H.P.S.

C. Squier

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 12:44:10 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ALL of the tickets that the USGA sold sold in 72 hole packages?

Just because people decided to buy them individually, doesn't mean that the USGA needs to change their policy.  Secondly, I can't imagine the course being able to hold all of Friday's ticket holders plus those from Thursday. 

If you bought a single ticket, you were taking a risk.  If you get to go on Monday, that's enough.  MLB rainouts work the same way.  You get to see the makeup game, MLB doesn't hold a poll to see whether or not that date works for you. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back