News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

GCA Get Together in Melbourne in Masters Week (Nov 09)
« on: June 19, 2009, 08:21:22 AM »
The post from James Bennett in another thread got me thinking.

It seems like a lot of GCA is going to be in Melbourne that week.  I am heading over, with a season ticket, for the week (current plans anyway).  I am sure there will be a get-together, somewhere.

I know it's a while away, but perhaps a few of us should get a date locked in soon, and allow Ian Andrew, Chris Kane, James Bennett, Terry Thornton and others travelling to Melbourne for the week to get something confirmed in their diaries.

What say we have a big group dinner on the Wednesday or Thursday night of the week Tiger's in town for the Masters?

I'll contact Eldrick  ;)  and the rest of you think about what date suits, and post it below.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Mark_F

Re: GCA Get Together in Melbourne in Masters Week (Nov 09)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:54:59 AM »

I'll contact Eldrick  ;)  and the rest of you think about what date suits, and post it below.
MM

If Eldrick's coming, better make it an Urban Burger somewhere...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:56:21 AM »
Geez, you might get 20 ASGCA members there as well.  Or not.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Matt Day

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 09:03:28 AM »
I've got my six day pass and hotel booked.....just need to tell the missus  ;D

Sean Walsh

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:20:54 AM »
Matt
Likewise have the 6 day pass.

Now my plan will be to kidnap Ian scoot down the great ocean road to Port Fairy, if the drugs have worn off as we're going past Barwon Heads we'll drop in there as well.  Promise to have him back in time for any get together. 

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »
Well, I have wife and work leave approval.  I will be driving (probably) from Adelaide, so golf at Horsham and/or Pt Fairy (and ? Barwon Heads) is possible.  As is a 2-day sojourn across Bass Straight.

Should be a great week or so, whatever ends up happening.

I don't think Terry Thornton will be over - he can't get leave as far as I know (the roster is full of others!).

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 09:06:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to the gathering.

We go to Melbourne on the 11th - and most will finish up at the Australian Masters on the 14th.
The 12th and 13th may be best.

Terry Thornton

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 05:59:06 AM »
MM,

Mr Bennett is correct, unless some late notice leave becomes available then I'm only attending the Oz Open.
James obviously knows I'll be cranky hence his decision to drive rather than fly  ;D

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 07:37:55 AM »
Terry - I'm very sorry to hear that  :(

Ian - perhaps we lock in the 13th now?

If that's ok with everyone, I'll get started on organising.

Eldrick's security will need to sweep the place prior, you understand ;)

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 07:21:39 AM »
Matt

The arckies fly in from Sydney on the Wednesday arvo. At this stage we have a group of 20 Euro's, 30 Seppo's and a dozen Aussies...with an expected last minute surge from the Aussies i hope.
Not sure exactly what time were in but staying somewhere at St kilda...knowing our organisational skills it may actually be on the beach itself.

I'm sure we're spoken for with official dinners and stuff on Thursm Fri and sat evenings but after that this is a slim hope some of the stayers will go out for a nightcap. Let me check the program tomorrow in the office and I'll give you a bell.

I have aready spoken to Elin and and I am driving her and the kids out to see a mate out Cranbourne way on Friday night. We'll probably end up at the dogs.

Cheers
Rich

James Bennett

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 08:54:18 AM »

I have aready spoken to Elin and and I am driving her and the kids out to see a mate out Cranbourne way on Friday night. We'll probably end up at the dogs.

Are you getting some of the car interior re-upholstered whilst you are there.  Apparently it is very popular in Cranbourne.

;)

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David_Elvins

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 03:17:06 AM »
As is a 2-day sojourn across Bass Straight.
No interest in watching golf but might be interested in that, James.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 08:59:57 AM »
Good work, Matt. I'll clear my diary

James Bennett

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 09:10:05 AM »
As is a 2-day sojourn across Bass Straight.
No interest in watching golf but might be interested in that, James.

OK.  Lets start organising. 

1. Who is in for a two-day sojourn across Bass Straight? 
2. What dates - before, after, or during the Oz Masters? 
3. How to get from Melbourne across the ditch - Commercial airline presumably (Virgin/Qantas). 
4. Best plan is two days?  Is that one night or two?
5. What about that 'other' course, the carbon copy (CC)?

James B

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 08:26:46 AM »
The date for the dinner is Wednesday November 11.

That will likely work for most people. No date seems like it will be perfect for all.

Stay tuned for further details later in the year.

For now, Wed Nov 11, dinner & drinks in St.Kilda.

Matthew

Andy Gray

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 08:41:52 AM »
Hi all,

I would be interested to find out any plans for a get together around the masters week, if any have been made or set in stone. I finish my exams on the 14th so if my student budget allows me to travel down to Melbourne I would love to meet some fellow GCA'ers for a round of golf or two.

Cheers,

Andy

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 08:31:33 PM »
Bumping this up

Ian Andrew

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:43 PM »

Matthew,

That's our one free night.
We fly in that afternoon and arrive at the hotel around 5:00pm

I'm in.

I'll follow Richard..... ;D

Ian

Richard Chamberlain

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2009, 09:47:16 PM »
I'm in.

I'll follow Richard..... ;D

Ian
Careful, you may regret that call.
We also have a foolproof jetlag remdedy for Monday at NSWGC...its called the 5th hole.

Mark_F

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 01:28:38 AM »

Where?

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 05:38:34 AM »
Matt

I would love to join you boys for dinner on Wednesday the 11th if that is ok

Andrew

Brian Phillips

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 07:27:02 AM »
I had arranged to meet up with Mike Clayton but I am sure he would love to meet up with everyone as well.  Just name place and time and I will follow Ian and Richard...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
Gents,

As per the start of the thread, The Society of Australasian Golf Course Architects is in Melbourne during The Tiger Woods Masters Week.

I understand many from GCA.com, and other architecture groups in the US, UK & Europe will be in attendance for the week.

What Richard and I have got planned is a night similar to that where Lloyd Cole came and had dinner with us Melburnians, Ed Getka, and others a while back. For those who weren't there -

it was an informal, big table of golf nerds talking contours, strategy, and routings. Over beers and the casual downstairs menu at The Stokehouse, Jacka Blvd, St. Kilda. This is a driveable par 4 from much of the accom at which the conference delegates will be staying.

Some may choose to prop the bar up that night instead of dining, and fair enough too. There's a bar there which will house a few dozen patrons.

Wed Nov 11, start time around 7.30 - 8 going until they kick us out.
There are more bars in the precinct for those keen to kick on.

I'll need some idea of numbers, and will ring the venue to give them a head's up on the 4th (1 week prior).
If you're in town, and are keen to attend, let me know via a reply in this thread.

MM

P.S. Brian - I think Clayts is coming to this!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 09:52:34 AM »
MattM

I am in for anything if the week isn't too crazy busy.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 11:09:09 AM »
This Seppo is in, barring any schedule conflicts. Between now and then I will devise a dozen slang terms for both the Aussies and Euros.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back