News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

Where to Play in Australia
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
I’m off to Australia this fall and could use some help in creating my itinerary for an extended trip. I want to make it clear that I’m not seeking access. I’m just looking for a couple of extra stops to try and add before I head home.

Our study tour planned with the Australian Association of Golf Architects will include stops in Sydney and Melbourne. The trip includes New South Wales Golf Club and Royal Sydney Golf Club. From there we head over to Melbourne to play the Metropolitan Golf Club and Royal Melbourne Golf Club West. There is an additional day planned to watch the Australian Masters at Kingston Heath. I have already contacted the club about returning the next week to play the course.

I’m 90% certain that I’ll be making the trip to Barndougle Dunes right after the study tour and will then return back to Melbourne for a few more days.

What I’m looking for is a recommendation for 3 to 5 days of golf. Tell me what you would try arrange and where. Assume I can afford the flights and can make the arrangements to play at each course. That’s my issue to deal with.

So if you were trying to see excellent architecture – what would you add?

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Ian

Chris Kane

Re: Where to Play in Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »
Ian,

If you have 3-5 days, play Woodlands, Commonwealth, Victoria and Royal Melbourne East.  You could also go down to the Peninsula for a day, playing National (Moonah) and Portsea.

Would be great to catch up at the Masters (I don't live in Melbourne anymore, but will be coming down for the tournament).  While I know you're not seeking access, I'm happy to arrange a game at Commonwealth for you.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 07:05:15 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for your recommendations - one option is to stick to Melbourne - another is to travel to see as much as I can.

Would you make a day trip to play Royal Adelaide?
Is it worth the flight to go and see it?

Ian
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:07:27 PM by Ian Andrew »

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »
Ian:

If you have 3 days, I would recommend staying in Melbourne.  In terms of quality, quantity, variety and proximity I think might be the best spot to be in the world. 

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:52:15 PM »
Stay in Melbourne
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:22:50 PM »
A sent suggestion:

Skip the Australian Masters and fly to Bandougle on the 14th.
Barndougle – 15th Sun – fly to Melbourne

Mon - Royal Melbourne Golf Club East – 17th
Victoria Golf Club – 17th

Tues - Woodlands – 18th
Commonwealth – 18th

Wed - Kingston Heath – 19th
Royal Melbourne Golf Club West – 19th

Thoughts?

Ash Towe

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 09:43:29 PM »
Barnbougle is a must play.  However if you have had plenty of experience playing links courses perhaps then it is not as important.  If you do go then a look at the second course under construction perhaps could be arranged.
As for the rest of the 'sent' itenary it is spot on.

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 09:52:56 PM »
I personally would recommend staying in Melbourne for three days and enjoying the excellent city and the excellent golf, as opposed to trying to fly to Tasmania and Adelaide.  Between the Mornington Peninsula and the Sandbelt you'll have all the golf you could want, and still be able to see the sights around the city.

Just depends on how much you prioritize golf vs. everything else.

RichMacafee

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:56:50 PM »
Monday is the 16th Ian FYI.

The replies so far have the right courses mentioned. It would be good if you had a chance to see a course or 2 down on the Mornington Peninsula (National Old, National Moonah, Portsea, Peninsula or St.Andrews Beach if a miracle occurs) - but with time tight it may be difficult.

I personally would not sacrifice Barnbougle for a day on the peninsula, but if you can somehow fit in both it would be good.
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 10:07:07 PM »
This is great - I knew if I asked I would get a much clear picture on what to do.

Thank you for your responses.

Jason Topp

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 11:04:13 PM »
Ian:

I echo the Barnbougle thoughts.  It is a very special place but if you have been to Bandon, Ireland or Scotland you have had similar golf experiences.  I would go there if you also had an interest in seeing a bit of Tasmania which to me is one of the coolest places I have visited.

For golf, the sandbelt is truly unique.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 11:37:02 PM »
Ian,

Barnbougle is worth the trip but if you've only got three to five days and want to play a number of courses, I wouldn't recommend the flight down and back.  I'd stay in Melbourne and play 4-5 Sandbelt courses and perhaps either Portsea or National Moonah.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 11:56:37 PM »
Ian,

I don't think the trip to Adelaide is worth it. While featuring a number of really strong holes, I found Royal Adelaide a little underwhelming, perhaps because I'de just spent the previous 2 weeks playing courses around Melbourne & the Peninsula.

Do not skip Barnbougle!! Besides Royal Melbourne West, Metropolitan & Kingston Heath, I'de suggest Woodlands, Royal Mebourne East, Peninsula North, Victoria & Yarra Yarra in the Melbourne 'Sandbelt'. Down on the Mornington Peninsula, check out Portsea & National Moonah, and it would be a pity not to see St. Andrews Beach (it is still being maintained I believe, but they might frown upon wandering about).

TK

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 01:22:45 AM »
Ian,

When you are in Sydney I would go and see The Lakes - it is right by the airport and on the way to the city.
Newcastle is also worth a trip but it's 2 hours drive north of Sydbey.
In Melbourne the suggestions are good - and obvious.Peninsula North is not amongst the normal sandbelt suggestions but it is much-improved as is the south course there.
On the Peninsula see Portsea and St Andrews Beach - as well as the Moonah Course at The National.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 02:28:09 AM »
Ian,

I don't think the trip to Adelaide is worth it. While featuring a number of really strong holes, I found Royal Adelaide a little underwhelming, perhaps because I'de just spent the previous 2 weeks playing courses around Melbourne & the Peninsula.

Do not skip Barnbougle!! Besides Royal Melbourne West, Metropolitan & Kingston Heath, I'de suggest Woodlands, Royal Mebourne East, Peninsula North, Victoria & Yarra Yarra in the Melbourne 'Sandbelt'. Down on the Mornington Peninsula, check out Portsea & National Moonah, and it would be a pity not to see St. Andrews Beach (it is still being maintained I believe, but they might frown upon wandering about).

TK

Barnbougle was the highlight of our trip, 2 rounds is a must
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Brian Phillips

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 02:30:14 AM »
Ian,

I will be travelling on the same tour with the EIGCA.  I look forward to meeting you over there.  I am also thinking of staying on to play Barnbougle Dunes.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 02:40:46 AM »
A sent suggestion:

Skip the Australian Masters and fly to Bandougle on the 14th.
Barndougle – 15th Sun – fly to Melbourne

Mon - Royal Melbourne Golf Club East – 17th
Victoria Golf Club – 17th

Tues - Woodlands – 18th
Commonwealth – 18th

Wed - Kingston Heath – 19th
Royal Melbourne Golf Club West – 19th

Thoughts?

Ian

The area I've bolded is probably the only thing I'd consider changing....you've pretty much covered "The Sandbelt" and different architect works in RM / KH / Woodlands and Commonwealth.

I'd suggest a day trip down to play somewhere on the Peninsula. Different scenery and conditions and "new" architectural works in say National (Moonah) + (Old) or even say a Portsea perhaps ?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 02:54:25 AM »
It is a pity you have so little time, it is clearly a big place.  Perth is too far of course, but the new work at Karrinyup is rather nice, especially if you were familiar with what it replaced - but little else over there of sufficient merit to warrant the trip.

Adelaide however is worthwhile in my view - not only a lovely town and some super wine, but RA and Kooyonga are worth a look - two very contrasting styles with Kooyonga i think being the more interesting and a good study (much like KH) of how to jam a lovely course into a tiny patch of land.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2009, 03:37:22 AM »
I agree RA is a fine course and a great city but having flown from Sydney to Melbourne for a couple of days golf and been diverted to Adelaide due to fog things can always go wrong with short trips. A couple of hours each way spent at the airport is wasted time.

The golf is just too good in the Melbourne area to fly off for a day elsewhere.

Any fans of The Dunes here? I have been to the club but not played it and being public access it would be easy to get on.
Cave Nil Vino

Matt Day

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 03:44:04 AM »
It is a pity you have so little time, it is clearly a big place.  Perth is too far of course, but the new work at Karrinyup is rather nice, especially if you were familiar with what it replaced - but little else over there of sufficient merit to warrant the trip.

Adelaide however is worthwhile in my view - not only a lovely town and some super wine, but RA and Kooyonga are worth a look - two very contrasting styles with Kooyonga i think being the more interesting and a good study (much like KH) of how to jam a lovely course into a tiny patch of land.
There's more to Perth than LK, Kennedy Bay, The Cut and Joondalup are all worth a look...but agreed that its a long way to come for those alone

James Bennett

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 04:16:54 AM »
Ian

I am from Adelaide, but your time line says to me that you should listen to the others here - Sydney, Melbourne (and Mornington Peninsula) and Barnbougle, hopefully with a look at the new neighbour.  The comments from the overseas GCA'ers (Cary, JAL, Tyler and Ash) will represent views of people who have had to travel, so I would add a little weight to their comments.

It seems like a lot of GCA is going to be in Melbourne that week.  I am heading over, with a season ticket, for the week (current plans anyway).  I am sure there will be a get-together, somewhere.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Leo Barber

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 05:17:25 AM »
Barnbougle is a must. Clever Clever Clever.  2 nights 3 rounds.  Obviously stay on site and let the best Man Servant in Australasia - "Tiger" (hey thats his nickname - suspect its a take on the Tasmanian one as opposed to the bloke that will be carving up Bethpage tomorrow) , entertain you in the Clubhouse with his wit, aussie bs and great service.

Sounds like you have RM covered.  I really like the East but if time was at a premium I would opt for Victoria - really impressive and goodness knows why it sits sometimes distant behind others on the sandbelt.  KH yes.  Woodlands got huge wraps from the guys I traveled with (I was playing elsewhere that day) and down the peninsula I have played most of them but I still really like The Dunes.  I have only toured the North Course at Peninsula GC itself and that was hugely impressive and lived up to the tag of the best renovation in Aust. 

Summary for me

5 days (I take it thats four nights and this is tough but I guess its an add on to your trip already)

2 nights Barnbougle - 3 rounds
2 nights Mornington Peninsula playing the Dunes, jumping the fence at St As beach (which we did down a fire break on Bass Meadows Bvd in the arvo/late evening), having a quick tour of the National and Moonah Links.
Then Peninsula Nth enroute back to Melbourne or Vic GC

Big Pete

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 05:34:44 AM »
G'day Ian
Heather and I would be happy to host you at Barnbougle if the timing is right...

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »
Ian

All suggestions very good.

I would definitely attempt ot sneak barnbougle in.

Withe proximity of the courses you should be able to play 36 and then walk one other in a day. With that in mind i would look to play the following;

RMW
RME
The Heath
Victoria

When playing these courses try and walk the following in the evening or at first dawn.

Commonwealth
Yarra Yarra
Woodlands

I would recommend spending time at Peninsula for both South and North.

These with Bandon will fill your time. If additional time allows haed for Moonah at the National, Porstea and a walk at Str Andrews Beach.

Any thoughts on where you plan to stay?

If you would like assistance with access to any of above let me know

Andrew

Ian Andrew

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 08:19:30 AM »
Everyone,

Thanks for all the response.
I'm quite overwhelmed since I've had another 10 email messages on top of this.

It looks like my plan is definately to go to Barnbougle - likely for the week-end.
and then stay the balance of the week around the Melbourne area - as recommended.

My wife has also suggested that I stay thill Friday to get a little more time.

Thanks for all the help.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back