News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Church

Reading Mr. Shackelford's blog, I wanted to see if Google Maps had updated to show the reported new short game area. (link: http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2009/6/15/medinah-set-for-its-traditional-pre-major-redo-still-wont-be.html)

So, I'm zooming in, and my eyes spy the range to the east.  And then....

Nick Church

Re: Slightly OT: What I found looking for Medinah's short game area
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 05:32:24 PM »
I zoomed in closer than the attached image.  I can only assume the image was captured just as the plane was flying overhead.

My first thought, however, was that someone had the juice to pull off landing his jet on the range.  ;)

Anyway, the image just caught me funny.

Better close up:

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »
Very interesting picture. And is it just me, or does that range tee look really beat up?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »
Very interesting picture. And is it just me, or does that range tee look really beat up?

Either that or it's some new agricultural method - verti cutting? 

With three courses busy most of the warm months, there could be a lot of action on that range!

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:55:14 PM »
Medinah is really close to the Airport.
H.P.S.

Mike Benham

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »
For comparison:

OC

The Riv

Pebble

ANGC

"... and I liked the guy ..."

JR Potts

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 09:53:12 PM »
MEDINAH RANGE AERIALS FROM EARLY APRIL

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 10:14:48 PM »

Either that or it's some new agricultural method - verti cutting? 

With three courses busy most of the warm months, there could be a lot of action on that range!

Its not verticutting, that would be uniform over the whole tee, if it was visible at all from the air, which I don't think it would be.

If you zoom it in really close, you can actually see the rope lines from where they rotated the ropes daily.

But having taken time to look at the range tee at Pinehurst and PGA Village, I guess this one is on the same page as those. Its hard to keep a range looking good when you have 7500+ golf balls struck off the grass per day.

JR Potts

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:36:01 PM »
It's not verticutting.  With 600 members, substantial guest play and at least 100 kids in a junior program, that range gets a lot of use.  That said, it is usually in fairly good shape.

Medinah is and always was a big club.  It has family events, tennis, swimming, junior camps, junior golf and organized member events most every day from May 1 to October 1.  After October 1 to April 30th, it is constantly hosting big holiday celebrations, kids Halloween parties, Christmas parties, gun club use, gun club parties, etc. 

If you're expecting Medinah to have the tranquil feel of an Augusta, SFCC, Pine Valley, etc. you're going to be tremendously disappointed.  It's an active club and its facilities gets used.

John Moore II

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 10:42:55 PM »
It's not verticutting.  With 600 members, substantial guest play and at least 100 kids in a junior program, that range gets a lot of use.  That said, it is usually in fairly good shape.

Medinah is and always was a big club.  It has family events, tennis, swimming, junior camps, junior golf and organized member events most every day from May 1 to October 1.  After October 1 to April 30th, it is constantly hosting big holiday celebrations, kids Halloween parties, Christmas parties, gun club use, gun club parties, etc. 

If you're expecting Medinah to have the tranquil feel of an Augusta, SFCC, Pine Valley, etc. you're going to be tremendously disappointed.  It's an active club and its facilities gets used.

600 members? Thats actually somewhat small considering they have 3 courses. But yeah, being a 3 course club, I would have to expect they get a lot of play and activity from the members.

JR Potts

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 10:57:58 PM »
I should clarify.  The 600 number doesn't include the wives of the members...who are usually there more than their member-husbands.   :)

John Moore II

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 11:22:18 PM »
I should clarify.  The 600 number doesn't include the wives of the members...who are usually there more than their member-husbands.   :)

Well, still, thats not a huge number. The 1000 I gave is based on written memberships not the number of people. Either way, they get a good amount of use on that range.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back