News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Rigg

The solo dawn patrol experience
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:14:37 PM »
I snuck out early today for 18 at Ghost Creek - and it was absolutely magical.

Not only did I shoot my lowest round of the year and finish in 2:15 minutes, walking, but it was such a serene experience, even with a few maintenance guys working on some of the holes.

Morning shadows present the course and all of its mounds, hollows, undulations, in a different light than those I tend to see as an afternoon/evening golfer. Although playing at a quick pace it was easy to absorb all of the sensations that a quiet course emits - fresh cut grass, clear early morning air, a subtle breeze, the crisp sound and sensation of a well struck iron off the dewey grass.

It is enjoyable to play with friends (and often with strangers) but there is nothing like having the course to yourself on a beautiful early morning to remind you 18 times why this is such a great game and why golf courses truly are a living work of art.

I am sure many if not all of you have had the same experience at great courses throughout the world.

This golf thing is really cool.

Scott Warren

Re: The solo dawn patrol experience
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 02:50:25 PM »
Definitely agree, Rob. I played Trevose last month, teeing off at 7.15am. There was no one else on the course until I'd walked off the 6th and even then there were just three groups until I was well into the back nine.

It was so serene and peaceful, I even lingered by the 4th green to watch the waves crash onto the shore for 10 minutes or so, which would have been impossible playing with others.

Back in Australia when I was young and single and lived 500m from my club and 1km from work, I routinely played 18 holes alone before work and still made it in by 8.30am ;D made the days seem so much fuller!

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 02:55:47 PM »
did it at Bandon Trails a few years ago.....a tremendous experience!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 02:56:50 PM »
Dan Moore and I played the lovely Old Elm in Chicago teeing off at 8.20 on Sunday morning, hardly dawn patrol I know, but a 2 ball teed off in front of us and we did see a group or possibly two on the front nine when we were well into the back nine.

Our host was charming and we met some fine gentlemen over lunch.

A very pleasant way to spend a morning!
Cave Nil Vino

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »
I love this time of year for that experiance alone.

Look for me on the tee tomorrow AM @ 6!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:16:59 PM »
I purchased a weekly ticket at Belvedere this week (btw, for $210 it is a ridiculous steal).  So far I am 2 for 2 on being the only one out on the course early in the morning.  Yesterday I didnt see anyone until the 14th hole when I caught up with two women who had teed off the back and this morning I saw a group teeing off on 1 when I was teeing off on 9. 

Its a great feeling to have the morning with just you, the course and the sound of the maintenance crew buzzing around.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 03:19:59 PM »
I played Monarch Bay (near Oakland Airport) last Saturday morning with my regular threesome...we had the first time - 5:15 a.m.  The first hole was pretty dark, but the next several holes were peaceful...no one in front of us, and no one behind us.  The setting near the SF Bay is pretty neat...you can look across the bay and see SF, with the peace only interrupted by the regular Fed Ex planes landing at Oakland.

Only negative from a playability standpoint is that the course was pretty wet.

We usually play Tilden at that time...a beautiful place in the early hours.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 03:25:43 PM »
the smell of fresh cut grass on a golf course in the morning is so cool....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

David Kelly

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 03:34:07 PM »
Last month I was first off at Pebble Beach and it was fantastic.  We played in under 2:45 while still having time to take pictures and fool around on the greens.  We finished, put our stuff away and were still able to eat breakfast in the Lodge before the next group was done playing 18.

Standing out on the 6th green and seeing the course completely empty was a great feeling.  There is no way I can go back to playing 5 hour rounds there.  It will be first off or nothing from now on at Pebble.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 03:35:53 PM »
Last month I was first off at Pebble Beach and it was fantastic.  We played in under 2:45 while still having time to take pictures and fool around on the greens.  We finished, put our stuff away and were still able to eat breakfast in the Lodge before the next group was done playing 18.

Standing out on the 6th green and seeing the course completely empty was a great feeling.  There is no way I can go back to playing 5 hour rounds there.  It will be first off or nothing from now on at Pebble.

Great call there, David.  I too have done that twice, and it is for experiences like these that I shake my head in wonder at those bemoaning how awful the treatment is at Pebble and how glacially slow play is, etc.  Oh sure, it can be bad.. but it can also be GREAT - as you just saw.

Hope to do that again myself some day... it is the only way to go.

Dan King

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 03:58:34 PM »
Many years ago, on my first trip to Dornoch I went with three friends. We got to Dornoch during the longest days of the year, when you almost had enough light to play Dornoch 24 hours. I asked the pro if I could go out early in the morning and pay my fees when I finished the round. He said if I finished before they came in at 6:30 in the morning then they were fine not knowing I was ever out there.

My friends were partial to sleep, so didn't want to join me. Every morning at Dornoch I'd get up at 4:00 a.m. and play a leisurely two hour round. It's about as close as I ever got to a spiritual experience.

Cheers,
Dan King
You can golf first thing in the morning. I've noticed for men my age, more and more of the important things happen at that time of the day: golf, heart attacks, delivery of the Wall Street Journal, and intermittently -- erections and bowel movements.
 --P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »
There is 1000% nothing better than being the first person to tee off in the morning, as a single, on a great golf course.
H.P.S.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »
The only problem with being first off on a public course is that most offer "back nine only" play, and it's usually the case that the course will try to squeeze as many nine hole players as possible onto the course.  So when we make the turn, we often will run into the last nine hole groups a few holes into the back nine.  At Monarch there was a group on the 10th tee when we finished #9...that was a bummer.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 04:51:19 PM »
The only problem with being first off on a public course is that most offer "back nine only" play, and it's usually the case that the course will try to squeeze as many nine hole players as possible onto the course.  So when we make the turn, we often will run into the last nine hole groups a few holes into the back nine.  At Monarch there was a group on the 10th tee when we finished #9...that was a bummer.

DING DING DING

I have run into that problem way more than I have had 18 holes of uninterrupted bliss.. oh man the worst ever had to be Los Lagos... my friend and I, first group off... play the front nine in an hour, not trying to go fast... encounter the entire world (or so it seemed) on 10th tee... quit after 2.5 hours, 6 holes on back nine.

So yes, this can be a great experience.  But it can also SUCK.

;)

TH

ps to Dan King - I alluded also to spritual experience today.. it's on the favorite spots on favorite courses thread.  Man I felt it at Sand Hills.  But I also did a solo 12 holes very late one night at Dornoch and wow did I feel it there also.  Great call.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 03:18:19 AM »
Every summer we spend a fortnight's family holiday in Fife.  Every day I'll be out of the house at 6am for 18 (in past years at Elie, more recently at Crail) and be finished in time for breakfast with the kids.  On a half decent day nothing beats it.  On a beautiful morning it can be magical.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Leo Barber

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 04:44:56 AM »

This is the scene that greeted me this morning when I drove through the gates to the Maintenance Facility.  When I saw this post this evening I quickly ran out to the ute (pickup) and downloaded my camera to see how it had come out.  This is one of my favorite holes on the course and each morning as you come through the gates you are reminded just how lucky you are to be working in this environment.  I try to carry the camera with me and when I saw this scene I quickly pulled left and wound down the window.  The sun is rising so low (if that makes sense!) at this time of year in the Southern Hemisphere so I wasnt even sure if this was going to turn out.  With the time of year it is such a different light also.  I love being out on the course first thing, you simply cant compare it to any other time of the day.

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 05:37:55 AM »
What course is that, Leo?

Leo Barber

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 06:13:30 AM »
What course is that, Leo?
Hi Scott, 8th Hole Paraparaumu Beach, New Zealand.  You wouldnt believe it but it was about 1 deg C this morning with a polar blast coming up from the arctic but the light and appearance was incredible and set up a great day at "the office". 

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 06:25:10 AM »
Thanks Leo. You have a beautiful workplace! I spent four days there in 2002 for the NZ Open, and frustratingly missed out on playing the course the day after the tournament because it was too wet.

Leo Barber

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 06:38:49 AM »
Thanks Leo. You have a beautiful workplace! I spent four days there in 2002 for the NZ Open, and frustratingly missed out on playing the course the day after the tournament because it was too wet.
I came on board in 2006.  Double edged the ole 2002 Open.  Wonderful to have hosted Tiger but a number of detractions both on and off the course took much of the gloss off the event.  For the Club it was the catalyst for a number of directional changes in how we dealt with the wonderful strategy provided for us by Alex Russell with his layout.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 06:39:19 AM »
For a few weeks back in '04 I would get up at 5am and play 18 around my old home course of Royal Montrose, usually being on the 1st tee by 5.30 and walking off 18 by 8.30, getting odd looks from those just turning up.  I enjoyed it tremendously, but it murdered my putting, as the greens would be thick with dew and desperately slow.  Every putt would send up a rooster tail of spray.  I'm more of an evening golfer.  Nothing beats the warm, late shadows.
2024: Royal St. David's(x2); Mill Ride(x7); Milford; Notts; JCB(x2), Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom, Casa Serena (CZ), Hayling

Rich Goodale

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 07:13:46 AM »
Many years ago, on my first trip to Dornoch I went with three friends. We got to Dornoch during the longest days of the year, when you almost had enough light to play Dornoch 24 hours. I asked the pro if I could go out early in the morning and pay my fees when I finished the round. He said if I finished before they came in at 6:30 in the morning then they were fine not knowing I was ever out there.

My friends were partial to sleep, so didn't want to join me. Every morning at Dornoch I'd get up at 4:00 a.m. and play a leisurely two hour round. It's about as close as I ever got to a spiritual experience.

Cheers,
Dan King
You can golf first thing in the morning. I've noticed for men my age, more and more of the important things happen at that time of the day: golf, heart attacks, delivery of the Wall Street Journal, and intermittently -- erections and bowel movements.
 --P.J. O'Rourke

Dan

You will be displeased to know that this practice is now verboten at Dornoch.  The encouragement of spiritual experiences is no longer a part of their Mission Statement.

Rich

Cory Lewis

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 07:51:58 AM »
The first out alone experience is one of the very best in golf.  I have been lucky enough to experience this at some of the best courses in the US.  The calmness and peace you find playing alone with nature is a breathtaking experience.  You also appreciate the game of golf and the quality of the course you are playing when you have the time to look around at your surroundings.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Jason Topp

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 07:58:16 AM »
My favorite morning alone round was 9 holes with my dog.   

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 07:58:39 AM »

Cheers,
Dan King
 --P.J. O'Rourke

Dan

You will be displeased to know that this practice is now verboten at Dornoch.  The encouragement of spiritual experiences is no longer a part of their Mission Statement.

Rich

Rich

Very sorry to hear of the crackdown at Dornoch. I wonder how serious they are about it or whether they are happy to turn a blind eye. After all who wants to be up that early to prevent someone playing golf.

Dan,

Your story reminds me of about 40 years ago when my dad took the family to Dornoch on holiday. We were staying at the Burghfield (House) Hotel. Due to the peculiar licensing laws applicable in Scotland at the time pubs were not allowed to serve alcohol after 10pm at night but hotels could provided that one of the hotel guests was present. My late father told the story that the locals would keep the bar in the hotel open by plying the few hotel guests with drink to keep them from going to their beds. Usually at about 3am the locals would "call it a night" and then make their way to the course for a round of golf, presumably before falling into bed.

Don't know how much of that was fact or fiction but my brother clearly recalls going to the course every morning with my father at about 6am and their would be golfers coming off the 18th.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back