News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

The Jones Brothers
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:02:04 AM »
Well, it's US Open week and Rees Jones will be in the news again.

The son of RTJ, Rees and his brother RTJ II haven't exactly been the model of fraternal love.  But they're both prolific designers, and I'm sure that most here have had a chance to critique their designs.

So - In your opinion, who's the better Jones architect?  What do you like/dislike about their work?

Paul Carey

Re: The Jones Brothers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:52:35 AM »
I have not played enough of RTJ Jr. to comment on his work.  I find Rees to be a bit redundant on his new designs and some of his renovations. 

It is a bit ironic that the "Open Doctor" has never had an original design host a US Open but RTJ Jr. has Chambers Bay!

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:29:33 AM »
Of the work I have seen by both, I would go with RTJ, Jr.  But I have only seen one course by him and one by Rees. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 11:33:34 AM »
I have not played enough of RTJ Jr. to comment on his work.  I find Rees to be a bit redundant on his new designs and some of his renovations. 

It is a bit ironic that the "Open Doctor" has never had an original design host a US Open but RTJ Jr. has Chambers Bay!

I played their only side-by-side courses a couple of years ago, Burnt Pine (Rees) and the Raven (RTJ II) in Sandestin, Florida.  I wasn't impressed with either, both sort of formula, the same hole over and over, wash rinse repeat.  I can't remember more than a couple of holes from either course.  I preferred the Raven because it wasn't built up out of a swamp the way Burnt Pine was.   Most of the holes at Burnt Pine sloped down both sides into the natural swamp surroundings.

"Redundant" or perhaps repetitive would be an apt description of both of those courses.  I was pretty disappointed because I had heard positive remarks about Burnt Pine.

Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »
My daughter loves the Jonas Brothers.  

Michael Dugger

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 11:48:38 AM »
Garsh this thread just seems ripe for turning into a bash fest.

Notice only 4 posts in like 72 hrs

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:35:30 PM »
Michael - I posted at 9AM today.  It's only been 3 hours now...

FWIW, I find RTJ Jr.'s courses to be a lot more interesting and strategic than Rees' courses.

But neither is as good as their father.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »
I have always found the relationship of the two brothers both interesting and sad. The fact that much of it is played out in the industry public eye makes for splash but also accents the sadness. Both are men of talent and gifts to the game. Yes I like Jr work over Rees but maybe Mucci being so much a total and complete lover of Rees that makes that so easy.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 01:07:43 PM »
Michael - I posted at 9AM today.  It's only been 3 hours now...

FWIW, I find RTJ Jr.'s courses to be a lot more interesting and strategic than Rees' courses.

But neither is as good as their father.

Are you sure?  I could have swore I saw this a couple days ago.  Did the original thread possibly get lost in the abyss that's the new website?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »
My original Rees courses are Grand Niagara in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Lake of Isles North in Connecticut, Arcadian Shores in South Carolina (which he doesn't list on his website...http://www.reesjonesinc.com/index.php?option=com_courses&task=bystate&Itemid=65).

My original Bobby courses are Kaluhyat in Verona, New York....whoops, make that "is."

The GN course in Niagara Falls is on a boring piece of property and is so similar to one of his Dad's courses (water, water, everywhere) that it is really no fun to play without a bathing suit.  Redundant is probably the term, save for one or two accidental holes that remind one of northern Ontario/Muskoka region.  Could be the site of a boring, mid-1990s tour event, although it wasn't around at the time.  Lots of deep bunkers, length, rolling greens.  Challenging, in great condition, but not memorable.  LOI North is similar to Kaluhyat in that both are on pieces of property that could never, ever host a tournament.  The interplay of wetlands, swamps and bogs is so constant that crowds could never move through.  Both courses stick out as ones I'd never want to play on a daily basis, short of declaring myself legally masochistic.  AS is Rees' first solo design and is similar in a sense to GN in that only one or two holes remain (as much for their unfairness/difficulty) in my memory bank.  Enjoyable, near the ocean, but not great golf.

I haven't played what most would consider their finest efforts (Chambers Bay for RTJ2 and what would be Rees'?) so I can't judge either one as better, more memorable, etc.  I'm at a stage now where the only architect whose courses I'm actively seeking out is Mike Strantz.  Can't explain it.  Good luck in the quest, Tonawanda.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back