News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lyne Morrison

Re: Run offs, good design or bad design?
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »

The beauty of run-offs is that they place a premium on placement - rewarding well executed judgement while penalising a miscalculated or poorly played approach.

That said, it can be both fascinating and agonising to watch ones ball ride that fine contour – the one that will determine whether we putt for birdie or end up working for par ..or worse.

A game of degrees – wonderful stuff.

Cheers - Lyne

Anthony Gray

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 05:34:16 PM »

The idea of a green should be to recieve a ball. I think run offs can be overdone.

Anthony

And I thought you loved Cruden Bay......

Mark,

Well done. I think balls landing on the greens there will stay. Also several holes have green sites that are receptive to balls hit short and long of the greens.

Anthony

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 05:35:38 PM »

The beauty of run-offs is that they place a premium on placement - rewarding well executed judgement while penalising a miscalculated or poorly played approach.

That said, it can be both fascinating and agonising to watch ones ball ride that fine contour – the one that will determine whether we putt for birdie or end up working for par ..or worse.

Cheers - Lyne

The greens then need to be large enough that you can avoid the run offs.

Anthony

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »

Cheers - Lyne

Anthony

Anthony

Why?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Michael Blake

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 07:21:20 PM »

Anthony

Anthony,

Won't a good shot avoid a run-off, regardless of the size of the green?

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 02:20:53 AM »

Perhaps he has seen the light and headed off to practice ;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 02:52:59 AM »

Cheers - Lyne

Anthony

As Sean says, why?  Playing at Lundin Links in a strong wind last Saturday there was no way anyone was going to stop a ball on a green that landed on that green downwind.  The art (and it's an important art in proper golf) was to work out where you wantedf to land the ball and with what trajectory, so that when it ran out it ended up on the green.  In my opinion (and that's all it is) you are absolutely wrong that a green should hold a ball and my point about CB is that in many conditions there the best shot to a green does not land on the green.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 02:59:53 AM »
Anthony is coming to Buda, isn't he?

Let's hope we get some different winds so he can play both 6 and 15 at Deal downwind!

Jamie Barber

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 05:56:56 AM »
There is a relation to conditioning too - if greens are too soft then the run offs do not come into play as they were designed. I believe at Deal they've put considerable effort into restoring the true links conditions. There was an article posted on the club website but I can't find it now.

Runs offs don't have to be enormous swales, just 2-3 feet can be very effective!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 07:24:22 AM »

A ball pitched or run onto the green should have a chance to hold the green also. I am not anti run off  but at times they are over used and unneccessary. I like "Run Ons" better than "Run Offs".

Anthony

Gary Slatter

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 07:31:28 AM »
I do think run offs are goodesign because recoverys are easier for the average player yet the tour pro would be challenged, maybe more than if it was a bunker.
I do think run offs are good design because recovery shots are easier for the good golfer and challenging for the average golfer.  However I dislike run offs that end up in a bowl with a drain grate in it.  I prefer the design where balls (divots) are scattered.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back