News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Can you study GCA from a cart?
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2009, 12:58:06 PM »
I am 99% sure a judge would not agree with you Melvyn.

I think a judge would rule that "playing golf is merely abiding by the rules of the game" and as the rules do not preclude a player from taking a caddie, trolley, cart or sedan chair playing golf could be via a cart.

The rules even allow for a ball striking a "players equipment" to which a trolley, cart or sedan chair would be "players equipment".
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2009, 01:20:34 PM »
Adrian

You may be right, but does that not show the quality of out Governing Bodies.

They remind me of Judas Iscariot willing to sell out to the highest bidder. I do not believe they care for the game or its traditions. Money drives them, golf just happens to be somewhere low down on the list of things to do.

But then that just my opinion

Melvyn

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2009, 01:25:22 PM »
Melvyn you should have your own TV show it would make compelling viewing, next time im in Fife we must have a drink and a putt around the himalayas. ;)
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2009, 01:41:17 PM »
Adrian

Well, there still may be some hope for me yet.

Alas, I live these days in Suffolk, but have been thinking of returning to the home of my forefathers.  If nothing more than to be a pain in the backside of the R&A and those pro cart riders who have the cheek to play TOC & The New Course.  >:(

Until then I will continue my campaign on GCA.com to dismantle carts bit by bit nearly singlehanded  ;) :D ;D

Have a great weekend, well what is left of it. 8)

Melvyn

Steve Lang

« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2009, 04:13:24 PM »
 8) Melvyn,

I have no problem with THE OPEN..  ;)

I do want you to know that I did walk TOC and carry my rental set of clubs there as well as at Ganton when I visited the UK in 1996..

I walked this morning/afternoon in the TX heat and will again tomorrow.. to play.

I don't know that study equates to playing once. 

We walked TOC and St. Andrews on a Sunday and played there on a Monday.  Study of the course from books and brochures was on sunday night by lamplight.. experience of a 77 was in sunlight.  So study can be quite acceptable by many means..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »

Steve

If it was 1996, then perhaps the rental clubs may well have been a Hickory set (they are good for one to two hundred years if used correctly). We from the land of The Golf like to get value for our money. ;)

I have never had a choice when overseas – if I wanted to play then it was as it had always been - you walk. There were no carts when I was overseas working, just as well as I would not have used them anyway. 

Pay for the Green Fees fine but then pay again for cart rental – who do you think we are - the rich. Ah, perhaps I am starting to understand the American mind – if we, over here want to splash the cash, we get a Rolls Royce, to show our financial status, but you in the States pay the extra to ride carts to show your wealth – now that makes sense to me. Never really thought it had anything to do with playing golf. Why did none of you ever explain that   - it would have saved hours of debate on carts. We learn something new everyday ::)

As for the Links at St Andrews, it is a great walk and can take some time depending on what you take in. Great to hear you walk.

Melvyn 

Ben Sims

« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2009, 08:17:33 PM »
Melvyn,

I got to hand it to you boy, you know how to get a guy.  In fact, it stung even more when I remembered that the money spent for education and training by the US Air Force were one and the same.  I also have to bow to the superior knowledge of history and tradition. Being a southern boy that still says "we" when referring to the Confederacy, I feel your pain.  But alas, my oath is to the very flag which struck my great great grandfather down at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in 1864.  So maybe it's time you part with history as I have, and adopt the cart ;D

Either way, next time I'm between the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Tay, I owe you at least an 18 year Macallen single malt.  Thanks for your fire and venom, and it won't be argued again, I surrender.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2009, 09:40:12 PM »

Ben

I have enjoyed our little chats, they have been informative and fun. A Southern Boy is that the area in the States that Gentleman come from. Some of my family lived in Darien Georgia & Mobile Alabama from the 1870-1900.

I am sorry to hear about the demise of your great, great grandfather in 1864. However you may wish to know on a happier historical note what my great, great grandfather was doing in1864. He was winning The Open for the second time, as well as agreeing to return to St Andrews to take up the appointment of Custodian of the Links. He also found time to pop down to England to remodel the course at Westward Ho (The Royal North Devon Golf Club)

I would most certainly enjoy a malt with you, but in the meantime, I hope that none of your professional skills will ever need to be put into practice. Thus allowing you time to enjoy your golf or what did Rob call it, ah yes, something called ‘Cart Golf’ – apparently you have to ride in a buggy and drink beer on a golf course – never heard the like! >:( ;)

Melvyn

Ben Sims

« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2009, 09:49:13 PM »
I only ride and drink beer when I am playing with my flying buddies.  As for my more sensible musings, I prefer a flask of 7&7, gorse in bloom, sometime in April, on the southwestern coast of Oregon.  Maybe I can change that to the southwestern coast of South Uist in short order.

As for architecture. I think if you know what to look for, you'll see it from foot, 4x4, cart, wheelbarrow, or Segway. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2009, 03:27:10 PM »
8) I've given my opinion to the thread question in a previous post. (Simply.. YES)

On this unfortunate "cart golfer" tangent, last time I looked, the Rules of golf simply defined the game as:

Rule 1-1
The Game of Golf consists of playing a ball with a club from the teeing ground into the hole by a stroke or successive strokes in accordance with the Rules.

So there really is no distinction between golfers and cartgolfers, both do play the same game. 

Its a game to play, a sport to participate in, a profession for some.

Its the Committee's choice,.. leave it at that comrade.

The USGA writes the rules of golf, from which the above was quoted. However, the USGA has taken a stand on walking and has also written, "If you're not walking, you're not playing golf. You might be playing "cart-ball," but it's not golf." from A Call to Feet "Golf is a Walking Game"

« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 03:34:13 PM by Bayley R. Garland »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Dugger

« Reply #135 on: June 25, 2009, 11:00:51 PM »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Rob Rigg

« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2009, 11:04:23 PM »
Poor horsey!

I can't believe the USGA said that - man, words out of my own mouth - yippee USGA

Poor horsey!

Well done Garland!

Sean_A

« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2009, 03:27:55 AM »

You ride a cart you are playing a different game of Golf. As I said in my earlier post, would you object into making American Football or Base Ball more mobile by introducing mechanical wheels to the sports?

...nor do I like the idea of beer on a course, that should be left for after the game.

Melvyn

Crazy Brit - you go too far!  First, you created a new spelling for America's pastime, the great and noble game of baseball.  Like jazz and the banjo, baseball is one of the few truly wonderful contributions America has made to world culture.  Then you want to take beer out of my hands.  Next you will want to stamp out my cigar.  Where does it all end?  I say cease and desist or I shall place an order for a cart jigged up to look like a Roller to be delivered to your home - with payment due.  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2009, 04:45:19 AM »
Sean, make sure it has spinners and some hydraulic suspension so he can bounce at the tee boxes Snoop Dogg-style...

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2009, 05:26:39 AM »

Sean

Crazy Brit, you could be right.

As for Baseball being, as you state ‘truly wonderful contributions America has made to world culture’ I wonder if that is indeed a true statement. My grandmother played ‘Rounders’ when at her school, which seems extremely close to your game, but over here it was only for the girls. I wonder if your game was not just another import with a large smack of American Culture thrown in to distinguish or should I use the word disguise it as your game.  :o

As for the beer, most enjoyable place for that is at the 19th reminiscing about the last 36 holes –ops sorry, because of the 5-6 hour per round – even using the cart to speed up play it seems very difficult to get 36 holes in a day in the old US of A. PS Don’t you look down on drink drivers in the States?  >:(

Smoke, by all means, enjoy your cigar, your cancer stick (cigarettes) or pipe, but if you give me any illness caused by passive smoking I trust that you are well insured, as my solicitor will be seeking Millions of pounds in compensation (for loss of earnings as I could be the next Open Champion in waiting). ;D

It ends when idiots stop believing that using a cart is playing golf. It may be Cart Golf but it is not Golf. The cart was only introduction around the late 1940’s, so how can any sensible golfer believe that it has not changed the game, branching away forming Cart Golf. For centuries, golf has been a walking game, but that has been thrown out with the introduction of carts and the worst of all The No Walking Course. Anyone involved with a Non Walking Course (that does not allow Walking) should IMHO feel embarrassed and ashamed. You have by being associated with these courses conveyed a total lack of interest in Golf, preferring to play Cart Golf. Yet, these Carter are the first to shout loudest if they cannot call their game Golf. Sorry guys, it is Cart Golf, Cart Golf, Cart Golf, CART GOLF. If you want to call your game Golf then start Walking – it is as simple as that, you do not need to be a brain surgeon to figure that one out or do you. ???

Sean, I will not ‘cease or desist’ for golf has been traced back in time in the Morris/Hunter/Morrow family to 1771 at St Andrews, although we have so far been able to go as far back as 1649. That I believe means that we were playing golf at St Andrews when North America was still part of the Crown. Throughout that time walking was the only way to play golf, so I do not see the need to mention it within any Rules of the Game. You did not Walk – you did not play golf. ::)

As for your kind gift we only accept and sign for paid goods – expect a Scotsman to pay on his doorstep – how long have you been living over here, so you should know better. :-*

Just in case some missed my message, Golf is a Walking game. Cart Golf is a different game altogether.  ;D

One more thing, the best Golf will be found on a Links course. 8)

Melvyn

Thanks Scott, but no thanks, no Pimp car for me. :-[

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2009, 08:59:21 AM »
I like to call it cart ball. It's a fun game, too. I can practice my golf playing cart ball :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2009, 11:30:29 AM »
 ;D

Dugger! Is that Matt Ward? Or is it me? Somehow I think you mean it to be me even though I asked for such a picture to follow Matt Ward posts. If you need a picture of me to photoshop into it, check out Anthony's avatar.

;D

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »

Sean

Crazy Brit, you could be right.

As for Baseball being, as you state ‘truly wonderful contributions America has made to world culture’ I wonder if that is indeed a true statement. My grandmother played ‘Rounders’ when at her school, which seems extremely close to your game, but over here it was only for the girls. I wonder if your game was not just another import with a large smack of American Culture thrown in to distinguish or should I use the word disguise it as your game.  :o

As for the beer, most enjoyable place for that is at the 19th reminiscing about the last 36 holes –ops sorry, because of the 5-6 hour per round – even using the cart to speed up play it seems very difficult to get 36 holes in a day in the old US of A. PS Don’t you look down on drink drivers in the States?  >:(

Smoke, by all means, enjoy your cigar, your cancer stick (cigarettes) or pipe, but if you give me any illness caused by passive smoking I trust that you are well insured, as my solicitor will be seeking Millions of pounds in compensation (for loss of earnings as I could be the next Open Champion in waiting). ;D

It ends when idiots stop believing that using a cart is playing golf. It may be Cart Golf but it is not Golf. The cart was only introduction around the late 1940’s, so how can any sensible golfer believe that it has not changed the game, branching away forming Cart Golf. For centuries, golf has been a walking game, but that has been thrown out with the introduction of carts and the worst of all The No Walking Course. Anyone involved with a Non Walking Course (that does not allow Walking) should IMHO feel embarrassed and ashamed. You have by being associated with these courses conveyed a total lack of interest in Golf, preferring to play Cart Golf. Yet, these Carter are the first to shout loudest if they cannot call their game Golf. Sorry guys, it is Cart Golf, Cart Golf, Cart Golf, CART GOLF. If you want to call your game Golf then start Walking – it is as simple as that, you do not need to be a brain surgeon to figure that one out or do you. ???

Sean, I will not ‘cease or desist’ for golf has been traced back in time in the Morris/Hunter/Morrow family to 1771 at St Andrews, although we have so far been able to go as far back as 1649. That I believe means that we were playing golf at St Andrews when North America was still part of the Crown. Throughout that time walking was the only way to play golf, so I do not see the need to mention it within any Rules of the Game. You did not Walk – you did not play golf. ::)

As for your kind gift we only accept and sign for paid goods – expect a Scotsman to pay on his doorstep – how long have you been living over here, so you should know better. :-*

Just in case some missed my message, Golf is a Walking game. Cart Golf is a different game altogether.  ;D

One more thing, the best Golf will be found on a Links course. 8)

Melvyn

Thanks Scott, but no thanks, no Pimp car for me. :-[

Melvyn

I can't tell, but I hope you are joking in response to my joke - otherwise - heavy sigh.  I spose this is one of the major pitfalls if internet life.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Garland Bayley

« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »
Hey Melvyn,

What do you say we mount a consumer protection law suit and force all resorts utilizing golf carts to refer to themselves in all media as cart-ball resorts and strike the usage of the word golf. ;D You know, truth in advertising and all that! ;D

Dugger,

I know, I know

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back