News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

European Open/The London Golf Club
« on: May 30, 2009, 10:27:43 AM »
I turned on the Golf Channel and, between the weather and the course, it looked like a U.S. Tour event had broken out in Kent.  Has anyone played the course?

Ray Cross

Re: European Open/The London Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:04:58 PM »
Hi Carl,
Never thought I would read about London Golf Club!  Back in the early-mid '90s, my wife and I were able to play PART of one of the two courses there. We were three couples, one of which was Ron Kirby and wife. Ron had worked for the Nicklaus Design Group in Europe and had helped design/build both courses. We were playing the course which Ron insisted had the most design imput from him personally when a cart came up to us and informed us we would have to leave the course immediately. Seemed the owner/builder, a Mr Nagahara, wanted to play and didn't want anybody else on his course at the same time. OK, we left.

Next day we attended the Grand Opening Match between Jack, Seve and Tony Jacklin over the Heritage 18. I think the other course was called the International. Both were very much American style golf courses built over some pretty flat land somewhere out near Kent.

This made me start a search and, yes, I still have the Grand Opening "Programme"

Cory Brown

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 02:03:18 PM »
We were playing the course which Ron insisted had the most design imput from him personally when a cart came up to us and informed us we would have to leave the course immediately. Seemed the owner/builder, a Mr Nagahara, wanted to play and didn't want anybody else on his course at the same time. OK, we left.

Sounds like a great way to run a business, kick paying customers off the course :-[.

Jamie Barber

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 02:40:02 PM »
I've played the International (the lesser of the two courses there) in a local league match. It's quite a nice set up, very nice clubhouse and locker rooms with spa facilities. The course I played was OK, but instantly forgetable. I'm told the Heritage is a Nicklaus signature course.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:26:34 AM »
I always tivo the first round of the Euro events on GC in the hopes that they'll be something like County Lough, but it is frustrating to see so many parkland courses that look like they could be part of the Nationwide or US Tour.

I would assume that many of the classic English courses aside from Wentworth are short on distance, so the newer modern designs get the big tournaments.

Can't wait for The Open . . .

Jason McNamara

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 03:01:47 PM »
I would assume that many of the classic English courses aside from Wentworth are short on distance, so the newer modern designs get the big tournaments.

Other than the obvious (rota) courses...

Notts and Woodhall Spa both run about 7100.  Same with Walton Heath (both), and Formby is 7000 or so.  There's a few options based solely on length, but there are of course other issues (practice areas, club willingness, etc.)

Jamie Barber

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 03:43:02 PM »

Other than the obvious (rota) courses...

Notts and Woodhall Spa both run about 7100.  Same with Walton Heath (both), and Formby is 7000 or so.  There's a few options based solely on length, but there are of course other issues (practice areas, club willingness, etc.)

And infrastructure of course. The London Club has good access, close to London (clue's in the name :)) and masses of space for crowds.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
I played both courses some years ago and found them instantly unmemorable. I'm afraid I haven't been impressed by any of the Nicklaus team's designs in the UK (I should add that I have not seen their course at Gleneagles). St Mellion has the greatest character of those courses of which I have personal experience, simply because the land has the greatest interest. I'm sure they can be set up to test the best players and, no doubt, are beautifully conditioned and have magnificent facilities, but compared with a large number of golden age courses they are exceptionally dull. I have to say that the much-maligned Brabazon at the Belfry is far more memorable.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 11:13:23 PM »
i used to work there as both a caddie and in the pro shop about 10-12yrs ago. I can't speak for how its run now but back then it was all about who had the money. You paid a lot to get in (50k gbp) and then when you were there, you still had to pay 5gbp for a can of coke so it was terribly over priced and even the members didnt buy food and drink there. as a result it never made any money. The staff there were great fun.

the courses are called the Heritage and the International. The heritage was the nicklaus designed course and his cohorts did the international. The conditioning when they first opened was awesome ("no expense spared" to steal a line from jurassic park  :)) but as they money dried up the conditioning went downhill. it wasn't bad just not as good as it was and not great value for money when you spend 50k gbp.

as for the design; the courses were enjoyable to play and had a 5 sets of tees so there was something for everyone and totally different (in terms of design and facilities) to any other courses in the local area which increased their appeal.  As with other Nicklaus courses i have played they don't stand out as great courses but i really enjoyed playing them both when i was 18yrs old and would probably to so now i am 29.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 11:16:14 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back