News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Salmen

Off to Dornoch
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:22:01 AM »
Leaving Chicago tomorrow for Dornoch for the next four months.  I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.  If anyone cares to try for a game or drink, please don't hesitate to write me.

Wishing everyone a fantastic summer and lower handicap,

Steve Salmen
mur352@yahoo.com

Rich Goodale

Re: Off to Dornoch
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 05:43:49 AM »
It was 80 degrees there yesterday, Steve.  Hope the weather holds!

Bon Voyage.

Rich

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 08:18:26 AM »
Have a great time Steve!
H.P.S.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 12:07:35 PM »
Steve, play a few rounds at Golspie, just north.  It's a terrific fun course, with varied terrain.  Some excellent links holes right on the beach, a few parkland holes around the turn, and some heathery kind of holes, particularly the strong par 4s, #8 and #9.  There are a couple of very fun blind short par 4s of the sort you only find in Scotland!

Ask if John MacDavies (I'm pretty sure that's his name, David Tepper knows him well) is around.  He arranged a match of his members against our 8-some when we were in Dornoch last summer and we had a terrific match.  They were very gracious hosts although they did win 2-1/2 - 1-1/2 in fourball matches.  ;D

Jason McNamara

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:56:44 PM »
It was 80 degrees there yesterday, Steve.  Hope the weather holds!

It should for at least an hour, right?

Steve, to what extent will you be making the rounds?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 05:46:59 PM »

I had the extreme honor of having Steve as a guest at my club a couple weeks ago. I wish the same honor on all of you. If eny of you get the oppurtunity to golf with Steve please seize the chance.

Steve,

Live it up. CARPE DEIM. I wish I could be with you. Honored to be a friend.

Anthony

Ash Towe

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:06:44 AM »
Steve,
Good luck with your stay at Dornoch.  Could you please keep us updated with your thoughts and impressions.
Thanks, Ash

ed_getka

Re: Off to Dornoch New
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 05:24:33 PM »
Four months in Dornoch? What a GREAT way to spend a summer, at the home of one of the best golf courses in the world. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 07:17:21 AM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 05:21:20 AM »
You lucky man! Four months in Dornoch is idyllic.  Enjoy and keep posting updates.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Steve Salmen

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 08:43:19 AM »
Got to Dornoch yesterday after a red eye and four hour drive.  Wisely decided to go out and topped the opening tee shot onto the ladies tee just short of the markers.  Tough round.

Thank you Rich, Pat, Ed, Andrew and Ash for your wishes.  Rich,  Mrs. Beale is a princess and was truly shocked when I dropped your name.  Pat, hope you get great Chicago weather that I will miss.  I recently played Shepherd's Crook and loved it.  Not one weak hole.  Ash, I can post some photos and thoughts, but probably nothing that Rich hasn't contemplated for hours or days.

Jason,  we're going to St. Andrews a few times in the next month.  I'm a member of Crail and will play for their side against a team from the Shivas Irons Society.  We also intend to make the trip to Askernish, Machrihanish a few times, and probably Cruden Bay, Cullen, and Fraserburgh.

Bill,  will definitely make the trip to Golspie.  Have not yet played it but will several times.

Finally, a giant thank you to Anthony.  I met him in the grill room of his club with his friends.  They asked how we knew each other.  I said this is the first time we've met.  We met on the internet.  He could not have been a more gracious host and gentleman.  I am grateful that GCA has enabled me to make a friend with a great guy.

PCCraig

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »
Pat, hope you get great Chicago weather that I will miss.  I recently played Shepherd's Crook and loved it. 

Steve- I think the weather can't be any worse in Scotland than it is here...rain and 45* this morning. Hello June!
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back