News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Gray

My first thought about the removal of the Dell Hole is that it is not acceptable for a major. Correct? If so then why not? For the spectator isn't this a treat? Or for the pros is there too much chance involved?

Would you like to see one at a major?

Anthony

Garland Bayley

Can't be anymore chance than 17 at Sawgrass. That said, it seems to me that the dell hole in question is not so much in a dell as it is in a depression. Having a depression hole in a recession is not indicative of succession.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

Can't be anymore chance than 17 at Sawgrass. That said, it seems to me that the dell hole in question is not so much in a dell as it is in a depression. Having a depression hole in a recession is not indicative of succession.

Beattle Bayley.....Please clarify.      Thanks Anthony

Garland Bayley

A miss on a blind shot may cost you 1. A miss at 17 costs you 2.
But then you knew that already.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Anthony Gray

A miss on a blind shot may cost you 1. A miss at 17 costs you 2.
But then you knew that already.

Understood. Try to misspell next time it is easier to understand. But is it taboo for a major?

Anthony

Patrick Glynn

I dont think it has as much do with it being a blind Par 3, as it has to do with it being a terrible golf hole.

I absolutely loved Erin Hills when I played there over the summer, but the Bye Hole is par superior (as is the one and only Dell at Lahinch!)

Garland Bayley

I dont think it has as much do with it being a blind Par 3, as it has to do with it being a terrible golf hole.

I absolutely loved Erin Hills when I played there over the summer, but the Bye Hole is par superior (as is the one and only Dell at Lahinch!)

There you have it! It's a terrible golf hole. Let's be honest now. It doesn't even qualify as a depression hole. I was being nice. In reality it is a ditch hole.

Remember Ran also notes that the 4th at Black Mesa can be configured as a Dell Hole.

One round I played there had the tee markers all the way left, giving only a glimpse of the far edge of the green.
The picture is also indicative of what a "dell" is. It is not a ditch like at Erin Hills.

PThomas

Anthony, you really dont think there would ever be a blind par 3 at a major, ever, do you?

those boys whine so much now....a blind 3 would raise the whining level to such a high pitch that every dog within 100 miles of the course would have its eardrums broken
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom Yost

Given that the pros have every hole mapped out with exact distances, I'm not sure why a blind par 3 should be a big deal.  I haven't played the hole, is it totally blind (i.e. can't see at least the top of the flagstick or no features that permit aiming...) ?

Mark Smolens

Tom, there's a rock to aim at, just as at the "real" Dell Hole.  I just don't see the boys putting up with a completely blind shot like that in a major.  Still, it is/was kind of fun to approach the hill to see if there were any balls down there on the green. . .

Anthony Gray

Anthony, you really dont think there would ever be a blind par 3 at a major, ever, do you?

those boys whine so much now....a blind 3 would raise the whining level to such a high pitch that every dog within 100 miles of the course would have its eardrums broken

Paul.....My thoughts exactly....The pros would scream unfair but the fans would love it.

Anthony

Kalen Braley

« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:37:19 PM by Kalen Braley »

Kalen Braley

Agreed

Well i tried to explain that only blind approach shots were unacceptable, but then realized you were pretty much saying that with Blind Par 3s so I edited...   :'(

Anthony Gray

Agreed

Well i tried to explain that only blind approach shots were unacceptable, but then realized you were pretty much saying that with Blind Par 3s so I edited...   :'(

You make more since than Bird Bayley.

Anthony

Mike McGuire

The pros are machines. The dell hole at Erin Hills would be not be that hard. Plus you walk right by it the hole before so you can see everything. The Bye hole was much harder (its being redone I read?)

Adrian_Stiff

I find it quite hard to like a (totally) blind par 3 hole, there are quite rare though. Whilst I love Prestwick I don't like the 5th. Painswick's 5th and 10th are lovable but it is not a serious golf course. I think a blind short hole would lower the chance of a course getting a big tournament.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mike Bowline

Now, calling the location of the green at Erin Hills #7 "in a ditch" is slanted with a negative flavor. The green IS located at an elevation below the tee, but it is located in a depression between two wonderful landforms. The elevation difference in itself differentiates the Erin Hills Dell from the original, where you actually hit OVER/ACROSS a dune to reach the green.

What whining tour players forget is that every player would play the hole, so including it in a major would be fair using that definition. An earlier post mentioned they would have the exact yardage to the hole from their tee, so their main complaint would be they cannot see where the ball finishes until they reach the green. Which is exactly the fun part of hitting a blind shot!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back