News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

Re: Is golf a gentlemens game?
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »
Moneyed Gentlemen.

Oh, c'mon, Rihc...

There are hundreds of guys on this site alone who called penalties on themselves before they had two nickels to rub together.  It has nothing to do with money.  Being a gentleman is, above all, about worldview, courtesy, manners and a sense of fair play...

I agree with your understanding of the term as it should be applied to golf, but judging by the behavior of some on this board I'd have to say there are many who think that in the golf world social status is more important than courtesy, manners, and a sense of fair play and that if one possesses the social status, then one need not worry about the rest.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »

Carl

There is no need to explain, some of us have a wicked sense of humour on this side of the pond.

I would happily hold open the car door for you but I would not be a party to removing people from a club or course - that’s the responsibility of the club.
I certainly would not phone the Police, in this country they probably would not turn up for a few days anyway.

I, like you enjoy sarcasm and it too can get me into trouble. I did presume that you were having your little joke, but to think that I would call the Police over a drop of Malt of any description, well would I?

Its against the unspoken laws of Scotland.

Perhaps we jest too much, but then No, it is also good for the Soul at times.

Melvyn

Carl Johnson

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 05:06:18 PM »

. . .  but to think that I would call the Police over a drop of Malt of any description, well would I?  Its against the unspoken laws of Scotland.

Speaking of calling the police over a drop of Malt, last night I watched the hilarious 1949 film, Whisky Galore . . . a film which first came to my attention when reading on this board about the Askernish course on South Uist.  Of course, there was more than a drop of malt in play there.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »

Carl

I am told that the odd bottle sometimes surfaces, but it is no longer drinkable – seems someone must have tried one or two to make that comment – or are they still hiding it from HM Custom & Excise. Perhaps another reason to play Askernish when the tides are right.

Time Gentlemen, Please... as most Landlords will be shouting around this time tonight.

Melvyn

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »

I wish the debates and opinions on this site could be more gentelmanly.

We are all in this fraturnity together.

Anthony and my buddy Garland

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »
Anthony & Friend ;)

Are we, who said, you can't speak for me or yourself, can you, should you, will you. I am a golfer not a number and I have the right to make a fool of myself at anytime (unaided if you don't mind).

As for fraternity, I will have you know that I for one am happily married :-*

Melvyn

Ben Sims

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 07:33:26 PM »
Anthony,

I like it!!  I also think the word "gentlemen" cannot and should not be used in any posts regarding Merion.  Although I'd give up my second born to play it!!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »
Anthony,

I like it!!  I also think the word "gentlemen" cannot and should not be used in any posts regarding Merion.  Although I'd give up my second born to play it!!

Ben,

Nice post again young man. You are an officer and a gentleman.

Anthony

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »
Anybody that thinks golf is gentlemenly hasn't had to deal with parents in a AJGA-type event ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back