News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

PICS ADDED of GCA day-trip to Painswick
« on: May 25, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »
After reading the threads and seeing the pics of Painswick, I noticed on the way to the cheese rolling in Gloucester today that our bus drove within a few hundred yards of the course, and now I must play there immediately!!

The train from Paddington to Stroud takes 90 minutes and costs about £20-25 and a taxi from the station is a tenner or so. I suppose it'd be a similar driving time. The current green fee is £19 on a Saturday (no visitors on Sundays) or £17.50 midweek. So it's a £50 day out, or thereabouts.

Anyone interested? If so, are you a more likely starter on a weekday or Saturday?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 01:01:27 PM by Scott Warren »

Bill_McBride

Re: Any interest in a GCA day-trip to Painswick?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:20 PM »
I've been there twice and would gladly join you if I weren't at home in Florida.  8)  Painswick is the ultimate cool course. 

The first time I played there we flew from Edinburgh to Heathrow, rented a car and drove out, and I think it was over 2 hours.  The train sounds a good bit faster.

You could most likely get a game if you went out alone on a Saturday morning as the members are very friendly.

Enjoy, it's a unique golf experience.

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 12:37:58 AM »
Scott,
   I would love to join you, but the Atlantic Ocean is in the way. :'( The funkiest course I've ever played. Don't expect great conditions, but there are some really cool holes out there, the views from the top are amazing, and the people are super friendly. I'm pretty sure the first fairway will be the steepest you have ever driven UP. Many moons ago there was a fortress on the high point of the land you will play over. Just to play golf on the site of a fortress is WAY cool in my book. I would love to hear your thoughts on the experience after you play.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:51 AM »
I'm intrigued to see Painswick having read so much about it on here but even though I have the advantage on Bill and Ed in living in the same country as Painswick I'm afraid Yorkshire is still too far for a day trip  :(
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:22:26 AM »
Andrew: cheap rooms at the pub on Stroud... could always have my arm twisted to make it a Friday/Saturday expidition. Could get 54 holes in easily!

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:42:12 AM »
Andrew: cheap rooms at the pub on Stroud... could always have my arm twisted to make it a Friday/Saturday expidition. Could get 54 holes in easily!
We do a deal at The Players Club, that could include Painswick, 3 rounds of golf 2 nights accomadation £149. For GCA's I can probably get inside that price if you include minchinhampton Old course too (quite like Painswick in places) the accomadation is quite central to all three courses. www.theplayersgolfclub.com then click on stay and play banner.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Scott Warren

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:47:04 AM »
With Buda looming in four months, two nights away is probably stretching the friendship with both the boss and The Boss ;D

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
With Buda looming in four months, two nights away is probably stretching the friendship with both the boss and The Boss ;D

Likewise ;D

Scott Warren

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »
Mr Arble and I have agreed on a Painswick visit for June 13.

Any other takers?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 02:05:23 PM »
Scott

Like others, I'd love to, but it is a Spaghetti Junction too far....

Please try to beat some sense into Mr. Arble's head when you're there.

Rich

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 04:04:11 PM »
Mr Arble and I have agreed on a Painswick visit for June 13.

Any other takers?

I'll have to say no I'm afraid but I look forward to Sean's photo tour.

Scott Warren

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »
I hadn't thought of that, Andrew. I can give my camera a rest for a change safe in the knowledge a professional is on the job!

James Boon

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »
Scott,

I'm hoping to be down at my inlaws who live near Swindon that weekend. I was about to send Sean a message to see if he fancied a round at Burnham, but as I'm just having a look on here for the first time in a few day and discovered a, your Painswick plans, and b, Sean will be with you, if you don't mind I'll come along as well assuming there is still room? Send me a PM if this is okay?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 03:47:51 AM »
Scott,

I'm hoping to be down at my inlaws who live near Swindon that weekend. I was about to send Sean a message to see if he fancied a round at Burnham, but as I'm just having a look on here for the first time in a few day and discovered a, your Painswick plans, and b, Sean will be with you, if you don't mind I'll come along as well assuming there is still room? Send me a PM if this is okay?

Cheers,

James

James

We are set for 11:30 on 13 June - though I may push it forward to 11ish once Scott confirms his exact train time.  You are more than welcome.  If anybody else would like to come shout out.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

James Boon

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 03:59:29 AM »
Sean,

Excellent. Keep me informed.

Scott,

Is your train to Stroud? As I'll be driving from the south, I could take a detour to Stroud if you need picking up from the station there?

Anyone else fancy joining us, here is a taster... http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35805.0/

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Scott Warren

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 05:10:39 AM »
The train I am planning to get hits Stroud at 9.30am. Will be buying my ticket today. A lift from the station would be great. Sean had already offered, but if it's on your way...

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 08:33:35 AM »
Scott

I'd like to join you if it's OK.  Not played Painswick since the GCA Ryder Cup 4 years ago, so a return is long overdue.  I also pass through Stroud on my way in, so could easily pick you up from the station.  Will also be good to catch up with Sean and to meet yourself and James for the first time.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 09:01:23 AM »
Scott

I'd like to join you if it's OK.  Not played Painswick since the GCA Ryder Cup 4 years ago, so a return is long overdue.  I also pass through Stroud on my way in, so could easily pick you up from the station.  Will also be good to catch up with Sean and to meet yourself and James for the first time.

But will the BBC be there?  And Robin, will you ever forget Dahlia's ode at the banquet?  That was a truly memorable event!

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 09:25:56 AM »
Scott

Absolutely, that would be great. I'll drop Sean a PM and tell him we now have a full group.

Can't wait to meet you all.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 09:39:22 AM »
Scott

That's great.  Painswick is truly one of a kind.  Let's hope for a good, clear day, so we get the full view from the top of the beacon.

Bill:  I still have the poem at home!  And let's not forget that ITV had a film crew there too.  I've got the news report on tape.  It was all rather surreal, but certainly the best golf outing I have ever been on.
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Notts; JCB, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone, Denham, Thurlestone, Dartmouth, Rustic Canyon, LACC (North), MPCC (Shore), Cal Club, San Francisco, Epsom

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 09:46:22 AM »
Scott

That's great.  Painswick is truly one of a kind.  Let's hope for a good, clear day, so we get the full view from the top of the beacon.

Bill:  I still have the poem at home!  And let's not forget that ITV had a film crew there too.  I've got the news report on tape.  It was all rather surreal, but certainly the best golf outing I have ever been on.

And I still have my Painswick tie that my brother bought me for the banquet!  Look for the melting Dali-esque clock that Rich Goodale arranged for the clubhouse, it's very appropriate!

Scott Warren

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 10:12:28 AM »
This round is very quickly moving into something for the "anticipation" thread. Been stalking James' pics. Though I tend to forget what to look for when I actually get to a course, cos I get so into each hole as I play it. I actually walked onto the 6th tee at St Enodoc thinking how lucky I was to save par on the 5th after hitting wedge when I meant to grab a 9i, looked up and - despite being all alone - exclaimed "holy sh!t!!" when I saw the Himalaya bunker. I love moments like that.

Having been in the vicinty just last Monday, I remember how dramatic the land was. Should be a great day.

Scott Warren

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »
Five sleeps to go!

You guys all still good for this?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 12:02:27 PM by Scott Warren »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 04:45:59 AM »
Scott
Provided my old Alfa Romeo doesn't break down, i'll be there.  Let me know if you need a pick up from Stroud.

Enjoy New Zealand tomorrow.  I played there yesterday evening with a couple of colleagues courtesy of our good friend, Richard Pennell and it was tremendous fun. 

Scott Warren

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 05:06:24 AM »
Thanks Robin. I've PMd James about a lift from Stroud. If he can't do it, I'll let you know.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back