News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

John Marr(inan)

Jeff_Mingay

Re: Portmarnock replaces RCD at top...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 02:26:41 PM »
Jack,

I don't know enough about golf in Ireland, but Portmarnock on top is a bit shocking; and, so is The European Club ahead of Portrush and Ballybunion.

Interesting.
jeffmingay.com

Jack_Marr

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:55:25 PM »
Jeff

I'm a big fan of Portmarnock and the European Club, but I'd agree with you. I know those to clubs better than the rest at the top of the list, though.

John
John Marr(inan)

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:59:02 PM »
I can live with and understand Portmarnock being ranked higher than RCD - they are both tremendous layouts.  But EC ahead of Portrush is a mockery and ahead of Ballybunion impossible.  JC

Emil Weber

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »
Adare Manor ranked number 7???????????????? :o :o :o ???
How much did they pay for this ranking?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:13:04 PM »
   Deleted  :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:02:38 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jack_Marr

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »
I'd have Enniscrone and Lahinch further up the list, amongst others.
John Marr(inan)

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 04:24:05 PM »
This list must have a particularly (peculiarly?)  Irish slant.  While I don't agree with Portmarnock being anything close to #1, I can understand why folks pitch it.  However, I will never understand the love for TEC especially when we see a place like Doonbeg so far below it.  It makes no sense to me and I haven't even touched on the parkland ratings. 

Serious question.  Does Ireland need a ranking of top 100?  It seems to me a more pertinent and apt list would be more like 50 tops. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Use Golfweek's model.  Top 20 classical, top 20 modern.  JC

Anthony Butler

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
However, I will never understand the love for TEC especially when we see a place like Doonbeg so far below it.  It makes no sense to me and I haven't even touched on the parkland ratings. 

Sean,
Based on my last post on opinions of The European Club, you can expect an email or a PM from Pat Ruddy within 24 hrs.
And he won't be thanking you for your opinion...  ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 05:44:18 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 05:44:50 PM »
I like Portmarnock GC a lot, but in this instance 2 words suffice: No Way.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 11:04:42 AM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:11 AM »
The European Club is different and I think it deserves a fairly high ranking (maybe 3rd is a bit generous) for that reason.

Traditionalists don't like a lot of what Pat Ruddy has done, whether it be the eradication of many of the rumples on the fairways or the prolification of railway sleepers in the bunkers...  But what he has done is created a really fascinating golf course with a whole host of plus points... and something that is unlike any other course I have played...

I don't want to comment too much on the Golf Digest Ireland Rankings.... They've increased the panel numbers this year from 5 to 8 but perhaps they could do with adding a zero to the end of that number... And 100 courses from 450 in total is not required... But I'm sure it sells magazines and no-one can blame them for that...

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 05:20:35 AM »
The European Club is different and I think it deserves a fairly high ranking (maybe 3rd is a bit generous) for that reason.

Traditionalists don't like a lot of what Pat Ruddy has done, whether it be the eradication of many of the rumples on the fairways or the prolification of railway sleepers in the bunkers...  But what he has done is created a really fascinating golf course with a whole host of plus points... and something that is unlike any other course I have played...

I don't want to comment too much on the Golf Digest Ireland Rankings.... They've increased the panel numbers this year from 5 to 8 but perhaps they could do with adding a zero to the end of that number... And 100 courses from 450 in total is not required... But I'm sure it sells magazines and no-one can blame them for that...

Ally

I think a lot of people think Ruddy designs courses which are too tough and unbending when the wind gets up.  I certainly think this is the case with some holes at TEC. The problem is further heightened by the course not being firm enough to use the ground as an alternative to throwing the ball up in the air.  That said, I really like Donegal and would take it over TEC probably 7 out of 10. The course isn't easy, but its managable in the wind.  We are always going to have differences of opinion - thats what the lists are all about.  But from my perspective, while still clearly being a good course, TEC wouldn't make my top 10. 

Out of curiosity, why do you spose TEC gets all the love while Doonbeg is relatively speaking wallowing in the dust? 

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 05:40:43 AM »
Sean,

I still haven't seen Doonbeg so couldn't answer that question... It is doing increasingly well in the Golf World Britain & Ireland rankings however.

I am unsure that The European Club plays as tough as you make out when the wind gets up. Possibly it does - I don't have enough rounds under my belt there to really pass judgement. I do know that quite a few fairways are choked at the long driving distance which is something I was talking against on another thread...

Still, there's a lot of thought gone in to that course... and a lot of individuality...

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 01:13:42 PM »
 I see Portsalon made a big move, whereas, Narin/Portnoo stayed the same. I expect to see N/P moving up quickly in futute ratings.
AKA Mayday

Tim Pitner

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »

I think a lot of people think Ruddy designs courses which are too tough and unbending when the wind gets up.  I certainly think this is the case with some holes at TEC. The problem is further heightened by the course not being firm enough to use the ground as an alternative to throwing the ball up in the air.  That said, I really like Donegal and would take it over TEC probably 7 out of 10. The course isn't easy, but its managable in the wind.  We are always going to have differences of opinion - thats what the lists are all about.  But from my perspective, while still clearly being a good course, TEC wouldn't make my top 10. 

My understanding is that Donegal is mostly an Eddie Hackett course and Ruddy made a few changes.  Please correct me if I'm understating Ruddy's contribution.  While not a great course, I found Donegal to be a most enjoyable round of golf. 

Mike Jansen

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 01:11:23 AM »
Having played Portmarnock (and right before the Womens Irish Open)... It's hard to believe that it was the best golf Ireland has to offer.  There was a good stretch of holes from about 8 to 11, but I didn't feel it was a strong finish. I made 2 birdies, but spent most of the day driving it into the hay off the fairways and still managed a low 80s round. Also there are no ocean views from the course.  Just from waht I have seen/ heard, Old Head, Royal County Down and Royal Portrush should be ahead of it.

Mike Jansen

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 01:15:40 AM »
Just a funny side-bar to my driving woes...  I was soooo frustrated by my wayward drives, and had enough of stomping around in the knee high rough... that on the 16th hole, probably 250 yards out in the right rough, I gave my driver (in my bag laying on the ground) a big boot and broke it in half.  Please say hello to it for me...

Mike Jansen

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 01:21:03 AM »
Nevermind.... apparantly I played Portmarnock Links... was not aware other there was another.  All for naught...

Jack_Marr

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 09:54:44 AM »
Mike

Portmarnock Links is nice, I think, but Portmarnock is far better. You should try to play that one next time you get a channce.

John
John Marr(inan)

Sam Maryland

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 11:30:01 AM »
We played #'s 2/RCD, 4/Portrush, 17/Rosapenna, 24/Portstewart and 28/Castlerock on our trip, and add in Ardglass.  I really enjoyed Castlerock as much as any of them.  Surprised that Ardglass not in the top-100. 

And no mention of the Valley Links at Portrush?  Maybe inclusion of one course at any particular complex excludes the other?  I thought the Valley course was spectacular.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:47:05 PM by Sam Maryland »

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 07:30:02 PM »
Maybe they were looking for "publicity" with Portmarnocks elevation ?

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »
Sam - concur with Ardglass.  It's now one of the hidden gems of Ireland.  JC

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 08:30:10 PM »
Agree with Jonathan C and others ...

Can someone tell me the fanfare of The European Club.

Clearly, Dunluce / Portrush and Ballybunion / Old are miles beyond it.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »
A bunch of craic heads.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back