News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Malone v. Belvoir Park v. Royal Belfast
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »
My apologies for another post seeking trip-related advice, but I've done quite a bit of research and haven't found much to answer the following question:  if you wanted to take a break from links golf and play one (and only one) inland/parkland course in or around Belfast, which one of these three courses would you play?  [I realize one answer is to not play any such course while there, but assume for the sake of discussion that choice has been eliminated.]  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Carl

Tom Dunne

Re: Malone v. Belvoir Park v. Royal Belfast
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:52:22 PM »
I've seen all three--Belvoir Park would be my choice.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 08:36:19 AM »
Carl,

I've also played all three and would suggest that its a toss up between Belvior and Malone. Royal Belfast didn't really do it for me although admittedly I did play badly.

Belvior is probably the greater challenge with some cracking par 3's (it is a Colt course, and he was known for his par 3's) while Malone, from what I remember was less of a challenge but had plenty of interest.

Niall

Johnny_Browne

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 02:59:36 PM »
Carl,
All 3 are good courses, Royal Belfast and Belvoir were designed by Harry Colt.  I am slightly biased being a member of Belvoir but it is the best of the three courses, a Harry Colt classic with a wonderful routing and 5 of the best par 3s you will find anywhere.  It is only 3 miles from the centre of Belfast and yet you only see houses when coming up the 18th hole.  Please let me know when you are visiting and I will try to help.
Regards,
Johnny Browne

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »
Belvoir

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far.  Everything I read had suggested that Belvoir Park and Malone were the better two, but then in their June 2008 interview, Whitley and Phinney say that "Cork (Little Island) and Royal Belfast are the only two inland courses definitely worth a visit even for links fanatics. . ."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back