News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Old Macdonald Logo Contest
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 03:26:35 PM »
Nick - I'd like the second logo a lot more if they'd remove the text... just use the OM symbol part.  I like simple.  Whaddya think?

Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »
Yes, Huck I agree, remove the text on #2 and it's gold.

Isn't #3 George Bahto's avatar here on gca?  

Eric Smith

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 03:35:47 PM »
I think a simple picture of a flask would make for the greatest logo in the history of golf.

Isn't that the Reverse Jans logo?

No wait that was a discarded tequila bottle.

johnk

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »
I played the preview 10 holes yesterday and now I'm wearing the hat with the O and the M with clubs.  The head pro gives you these hats after the round, and they are sold at all the shops.

It's the best of the 3 logos IMHO.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 03:45:15 PM »
Ok this is perhaps going to salt away my membership in the Dork Hall of Fame (if I don't have it already) but I have to know:

John, does the hat have just the OM with clubs, or also that AND the text, ala what is shown in #2 on the website.

If the former, that's a keeper.  If the latter, it's best used while painting one's house.

;D

Ben Sims

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
Tom,

The hat given to me by Jeff Brinegar (head pro at Pac and Old Mac) was just the O&M logo.  No writing underneath.  The ball marker he gave me however, has the logo and the writing. 

Greg Tallman

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 03:50:02 PM »
Why not a facial image of Mac, Doak, Urbina, Klein, Kiser et al... Golf's Mount Rushmore if you will?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 03:52:15 PM »
Tom,

The hat given to me by Jeff Brinegar (head pro at Pac and Old Mac) was just the O&M logo.  No writing underneath.  The ball marker he gave me however, has the logo and the writing. 

Excellent.  So at the very least they will have both.  There is hope.
 ;D

George Pazin

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 04:01:48 PM »
Hard to believe a greeting card company owner (even a former one) couldn't find someone to come up with better logos.

#2 isn't bad, 1 and 3 are awful.

Let me know what you want and I'll start the bootleggin'... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

johnk

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 04:04:42 PM »
Tom, yes, it's just the logo, no text.

In the BD pro shop, they are selling shirts with all of the logos.

I wonder if, well into the future, if OldMac becomes an instant classic, the serious dorks will be lamenting the "lost" logos.  Maybe someone could corner the market on the rooster and "two dudes" and make a fortune on Ebay, a la old copies of The Confidential Guide...

Some random impressions:

Jeff B. lays out details about the course while you ride over in the shuttle. One really cool looking thing is the old barn they are planning to use as the pro-shop.

I'm not sure if people have mentioned this, but a potential downside to Old Mac is that the valley formed by the ridges is effectively a wind tunnel. "Good" some may say, but it's gonna be a lot of days of extreme golf.  The strategy part which could be so fun is replaced by a survival mentality.   And this was a week of what I'd call average wind for May.  Yes, Bandon Dunes in the afternoon was brutal, and the last four holes of BT were a slog in the wind too, but they were more playable than Old Mac.  I say all this being an low-ball afficianado, and I had a fun time out there, but it's hard to appreciate the strategic options in those conditions, and I think they will be more common at Old Mac.  Think many holes with the severity of PD #13 type wind.

When the full course is open, I'm hoping there will be more crosswind plays.

On the short hole (the 5th, I believe), we had a frontish pin between the two largest mounds on the center left.  The width of the green comes in handy, because you had to aim right of the right bunker, have it hit pin high and roll maybe 50yards down and to the left.  Then you had a nice uphill run between the bosoms.  Anyways, it's severe stuff.

The upside, I think people know about.

PS. The black-tipped fescue bordering the fairways gets this hypnotic wave effect going over it with the wind.  From the top of the dunes, it looks most like thousands of rats fleeing a burning building.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »

The other logos for the three current courses are off animals found in the area.

What other wild animals are there to pick from?

Anthony

I would have liked a mountain lion for Trails insted of the butterfly.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »
Yeah,

I'd have to agree #1 and #3 are pretty bad.

May as well just do something like this.

Or this...

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 06:40:31 PM by Kalen Braley »

DMoriarty

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 12:38:01 AM »
Perhaps something with a wicker basket instead of a flag?

Or has anyone suggested simply text?   "E I E I O"
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 01:24:53 PM »
I always thought the best logos were of an icon without any date, initials or words. 

The best logos

1.  Icon only

2.  Icon and year

3.  Icon and initials

4.  Icon and writing

Then there are the logoless with writing only ala Long Cove Club and Shadow Creek.

So I'll vote for the OM without the writing.

Michael Robin

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2009, 12:21:59 AM »
There is an amazing dead tree that sits atop the ridge on the 3rd hole Sahara that serves as a sort of sentinel over the whole course. I think you can see it an every hole. You actually have to navigate it on your tee shot on 3. I think it would be an iconic and memorable logo that could stand alone ala Merion, or with Old Macdonald underneath.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:24:15 AM by Michael Robin »

Matt Varney

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2009, 12:59:32 AM »
I would vote in favor of just the OM logo crest without text or dates.

Oak Tree comes to mind when you talk about the Sentinel tree on #3 cool idea especially if it has natural features like the Lone Cypress used for Pebble Beach with 1919 under the crest. Using dates look cool when its numbers like 1991 or 2000 or 2002 but when its 1984 who cares.  I personally don't think just because they have animals for logos on the other Bandon courses that Old MacDonald needs to fall online with that thought process. 

Think about that ultra private course in Ohio called The Golf Club and they have deer for a logo.  I think the logo should make the connection to CBM or be something like tall fesue grasses with a golf flag that has OM on the flag that is all.  No name no dates.

George_Bahto

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2009, 10:08:53 AM »
David Stamm asked: “Why not go with using an image of the windmill at NGLA and create a connection that way? “

David, there was a very conscious effort not to use anything connected to National on the Old Macdonald logo - so the Delf figure and the windmill were never in concideration.
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Joe Hancock

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 10:16:59 AM »
Logo's can be cool, but....

How big of a deal is this, really? Bandon is established. It's not as if they are starting a marketing campaign from scratch.

I think the folks at Bandon/ Kemper are throwing the GCA fanatics a bone and waiting for the train wreck to ensue.  :)

Tom Jefferson, please pass on my congrats to the team for another wonderful addition to the course family at Bandon.

Oh, BTW...if it was up to me, the logo would be that goofy bird wearing some bling....."Puffin Daddy".

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony Butler

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2009, 11:41:49 AM »
The question the resort needs to answer before offering three fairly underwhelming choices to the public is whether they want Old MacDonald to stay within the branding guidelines of the resort or have its own separate identity. You can't expect the public to take that into account when they click a radio button. They should have resolved that in their own minds and offered three logos that reflected their preferred branding strategy.

BTW-The rooster looks like a piece of clip art. if it wins the 'Design Idol' contest, it will need a lot of refinement. The olde golfer and caddy is a non starter. The embroidery would be a disaster both graphically and economically (too many color changes with the garment on the hoop).
Next!

George Pazin

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2009, 11:44:17 AM »
Logo's can be cool, but....

How big of a deal is this, really? Bandon is established. It's not as if they are starting a marketing campaign from scratch.

Using the same logic, they could have built a boring course for #4 and still come up smelling like roses...

Does it make a difference? No. Does it matter? I'd argue yes. When you start settling for less, you start the almost inevitable slow downward spiral.

I will resist the urge to relate this to today's politicians,,,
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Chuck Brown

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2009, 12:39:47 PM »
I voted #2.  It's okay.  Not great, but okay.

Now can we get to work on a better logo for the Goat Ranch?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
George,

The demise of Bandon Dunes is sure, if the opinions voiced, so far, matter.

Nawwww.......

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Carl Johnson

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2009, 10:16:46 PM »
I voted for the chicken.  Chickens are cool.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back