News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

Re: LuLu CC to be sold?
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2011, 07:43:10 AM »
Has anyone actually confirmed the exact dates of the Ross lineage? I know Joe located a few articles about the early Lulu history.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2011, 09:03:09 AM »
My guess is that it is all conjecture that the township could buy this and later develop it.  It is a private property and when government takes property they can only use it for their own purposes.  It is not Hansen that is stealing it if they end up with LuLu it is the township.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Bob Harris

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2011, 09:48:57 AM »
After the Board agreed to the sale in 2009, a number of members were concerned that Hansen would develop the property instead of maintaining it as a golf course.  The "concerned members" were the ones who sought an alternative and thought that by accepting the easement and taking the $2M that they would keep LuLu as a golf course.
The irony is that if the Township buys the property it most probably will cease being a golf course and their only hope of keeping LuLu open was selling to Hansen.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2011, 08:31:11 AM »
The township is playing this close to the vest.

“Either it makes sense to acquire the land or it doesn’t,”...

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2011/03/03/ambler_gazette/news/doc4d6ecbc437057770331919.txt
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
Steve,

What nearby clubs would benefit, membership wise, should Lulu go under

Bob Harris

« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
There is a group of 15-20 LuLu members that hopes to move "en masse" to another club.  I know they have already been to Cedarbrook and Old York Road.  Other options might be Commonwealth and Meadowlands.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2011, 09:59:02 AM »
Has anyone actually confirmed the exact dates of the Ross lineage? I know Joe located a few articles about the early Lulu history.

I have a 20 pages club history that states Franklin Meehan laid out a 9 holes course that opened in 1915.  The course likely included the current 7 holes across Limekilm Avenue from the clubhouse.  The Quarry hole, a short one-shotter nicknamed "The Vale of Sighs" was designed by Meehan and is the current 4th hole.  Ross added 9 holes in 1919.  

Kyle, please check your e-mail.  I've sent the history to you for posting since I don't know how.

Mike
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:19:20 AM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
Joe Logan reports that the potential buyer has issued a press release and the vote could imminent- March 8:

http://myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=7902
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2011, 07:35:45 PM »
Update: The vote is not on the agenda for March 8 meeting but the Twp. Commissioners will continue to discuss the possible sale in another executive session then before the meeting:

http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2011/03/05/ambler_gazette/news/doc4d7143ced3d65332063759.txt

Matt_Ward

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
Can someone explain to me what the town would do with the land if not for a golf course to continue.

Do they think that adding homes is really a net plus when losing such open space ?

Is there any possibility the township will continue with the course as is for recreational purposes ?

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2011, 01:41:36 PM »
Hello Matt,

The township could utilize the property in a variety of ways. the facilities, while needing some upgrading, are charming and classy. They have a decent pool and the grounds could be converted into some superb parkland/recreational space.

That said, my hope is that it remains a golf course. While trending to "executive" course status by your standards, the greens and surrounds are very good. The routing, while compact, is also good, save for one goofy little stretch that can be excused because the holes that encompass it are good.

Past management took their eye off the ball on this one, and coupled with older members that seemed to have dug in for the no-change mantra, probably lead to the current decline in economic fortunes. It was a great club for many years and still has the goods, in my view , to re-emerge as a strong entity in either a private or public structure, provided the proper resources and management are put in place.

Time will tell, but it is certainly worthy of saving!

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2011, 09:10:52 PM »
Matt & Kris,

There are many possibilities out there,some of which have been mentioned above. I have heard of these:

1. The Twp. could exercise their right of first refusal and buy LuLu and then sell part of the property to the school district and another part- the swimming pool area-  to Wawa,the the super sized gas station/convenience chain.

2. The Twp. could actaully turn the property into a public park.

3. The Twp. could operate the course for a short period of time and then sell development rights for housing.

4. The Twp. could operate the course and sell the course that they currently own- Twining Valley- to a developer for housing.

5. The Twp. could not exercise their right of first refusal and allow Hansen to purchase the property.
6. Litigation could ensue between Hansen and the Twp. over the value of the Twp.'s offer to buy the club.

Who knows what will happen as the Twp. is keeping quiet as to their intentions.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2011, 05:31:31 PM »
I have no dog in the fight but as soneone quite active with NJ Open Space matters I would hope the key players keep the proprerty free from McMansion housing or anything close to that. Keeping the course is something that is a plus -- a public involvement would do much on that score. Possibly keeping the course available in a semi-private capacity that provides for existing members but accelerates the $$ coming in from the general public.

Bob Harris

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
Joe Logan reports that the Township does not appear to be interested in buying LuLu:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=7970

Mike Hendren

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2011, 10:39:01 AM »
"Don't it always seem to go you don't know what you've got til it's gone."
- Joni Mitchell

LuLu is a damned good golf course.   Somebody up there needs to wake up!

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bob Harris

« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51:50 AM »
"Don't it always seem to go you don't know what you've got til it's gone."
- Joni Mitchell

LuLu is a damned good golf course.   Somebody up there needs to wake up!

Looks like they did.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2011, 11:14:22 PM »
It seems that that township's solicitor gave good advice. The township apparently doesn't want to match the offer as it keeps the club private for 10 years.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »

Bob Harris

« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »
The on again off again sale appears to off again for the present.  The buyer and the bank holding LuLu's mortgage have not been able to reach an agreement.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »
Joe Logan confirms Bob Harris' post above:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/detail.asp?id=8229

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2011, 09:45:25 PM »
Should LuLu become semi-private and allow limited public play on certain days/times?

Mark McKeever

« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
I wouldnt mind, but Im sure the members would.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Steve_ Shaffer

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
Any locals interested in attending an Open House for prospective members?

LuLu Country Club has been providing distinguished service and a challenging golf experience to our members since 1912.  The course is the creation of Donald Ross, one of the world’s great architects from the ‘Golden Age’ of golf course design, whose masterpiece works include Aronimink Golf Club and Pinehurst No. 2.

Membership has its privileges:

• The best private-golf value in the Philadelphia area; rates for most memberships significantly reduced for the 2nd consecutive year!

• A beautifully-maintained Golf Course, fully restored to its original design

• A wonderful, diverse community of members

• An excellent dining experience

• Memberships to fit a variety of personal preferences, ranging from Students to Full

• Active Membership in the Golf Association of Philadelphia (GAP), which boasts an excellent tournament schedule for men, women, and juniors

• Conveniently located with easy access to Philadelphia and its suburbs

On behalf of the Board of Governors

You are cordially invited to a

Prospective Member Reception

at

LuLu Country Club

Wednesday, April 13th at 6:30 p.m.

R.S.V.P. Yes Only: 215-884-5108 or via email: memberservices@lulucc.com

LuLu Country Club

1600 Limekiln Pike • North Hills, PA  19038

www.lulucc.com

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »
LuLu was the site of the GAP Warner Cup a few days ago. The course won and received rave reviews:

http://www.timesherald.com/articles/2011/05/06/sports/doc4dc49f44e4d01824661538.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Still no news from any prospective purchasers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back