News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Mitchell

Berwick upon Tweed Golf Club (Goswick Links)
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:01:42 AM »
Another UK links course which seems to fly under the radar, possibly because it is one of only a handful of links courses on the East Coast between Scotland and Norfolk. It has recently become a regional qualifying course for The Open Championship.  Link to website here

Darwin wrote of Goswick:
"When I did see it I fell deeply in love with it.  It seemed to me almost the best natural golf I had ever seen, and all the better because it had remained natural: people had not tried to turn it into a test of golf; they had just rejoiced in big splendid bunkers and the walloping of the ball over them."

Mark Pearce and I are playing Goswick on Wednesday 27th May.  There is room for two others so if anyone fancies joining us please IM me.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Forrest Richardson

Re: Berwick upon Tweed Golf Club (Goswick Links)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:00:20 AM »
I have always loved Goswick. Good friends live in Newcastle and play as members every Saturday. I enjoy the way the course meets the sea...heads away...comes back and, in between, has lots of quirk and interest. Saw it from the train last time...while snow fell!
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:55:58 AM »

Guys

A little history regards the club from 13.04.1894

& 28.09.1894

Hope it is of some interest

Melvyn

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:57:40 AM »
I like Goswick a lot.  It's a serious test whilst retaining some quirk and real character.  I suspect it gets overshadowed by the collection of better known courses in East Lothian, just 30 minutes north but it really is as good as most of them.  I certainly know a couple of golfers who's judgment I frequently trust who would rather play there than North Berwick.  Although I wouldn't put it in that class myself I can see why they do.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:24:36 AM »
Just bumping this in case anyone missed it first time around.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 11:33:26 AM »
The club's website is www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back