News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Stevens

Impossible hole - for me anyway
« on: May 15, 2009, 06:16:59 AM »
New member here.

Next week is my annual attempt to overcome Royal St George's having failed miserably on all previous attempts.  Generally i love the course butone hole in particular I find impossible.

The 12th requires a 230m (approx) carry over a sand ridge and then turns hard right to a green sloping from right to left.  My 3 wood is a couple of yards short to get over the ridge, and so rolls back leaving me a blind shot to a rock hard green sloping away from me that simply wont hold.  My driver can carry it, there is not enough enough fairway over the ridge and i end up in the rough unless i hit a laser perfect fade (and I draw the ball)

A lovely hole, but the design and the dimensions are such that for me at least, there is simply no where for me to go. I dont complain as it is the only such optionless hole on the course, but it is daunting.  Should all course have one such "unfair" hole?

Scott Warren

Re: Impossible hole - for me anyway
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:18:10 AM »
Is there a more forward tee you could play off?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »
There are i suppose, but distance isnt the general issue, I am a decent player and give it a decent smack, it is just that this particular ridge sits exactly between my 3 wood and driver and has to be carried on the fly.  If i was a shorter player i could land a driver short and possibly run it over the ridge - hhmm maybe i will give that a go!

Jamie Barber

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:41:24 AM »
I think the play is short of the ridge from the tee (if driver puts you in trouble) - then on approach try to hit the bank right of the green and let it release onto the surface.

In theory anyway.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 09:12:31 AM »
Josh,
You are in good company, their website says that Tiger 4 putted the hole in the 2003 Open.

The hole looks like a stiff one, and it doesn't seem possible to get to the green without some air under the ball, but working from their yardage guide it seems like the approach from behind the ridge is 134 yards or less.

If you must get over the ridge to have a chance why not buy a 13* strong fwy.wood, or one of the new hybrids with a similar loft.   Sounds like it'd be worth the investment.   
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Josh Stevens

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 09:33:56 AM »
Ah well, a good day out.  18 holes singles in morning, long and messy lunch and then 18 holes foursomes in the afternoon if I can manage to get around again

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
....you could also just choke up an 1" or 2 on your driver and have at it.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 04:52:19 PM »
Ah well, a good day out.  18 holes singles in morning, long and messy lunch and then 18 holes foursomes in the afternoon if I can manage to get around again

Was that "long and messy lunch" also fairly liquid?  ;D  Do they serve the kummel at Sandwich?

Josh Stevens

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 05:14:29 AM »
indeed they do, but i must say i am not a fan.  But they do the typical british club lunch especially well, three huge courses with roasts, treacle tart to finish all washed down with a jolly good claret.  Makes the afternoon foursomes rather interesting, if you actually make it out again - some dont.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 09:27:23 AM »
indeed they do, but i must say i am not a fan.  But they do the typical british club lunch especially well, three huge courses with roasts, treacle tart to finish all washed down with a jolly good claret.  Makes the afternoon foursomes rather interesting, if you actually make it out again - some dont.

Sounds like Muirfield!

David Sneddon

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »
....you could also just choke up an 1" or 2 on your driver and have at it.

Just a small point, Jim.

One NEVER "chokes" on a golf club - bad karma.  One "grips down".
 ;)  ;)
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back