News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

DISMAL RIVER ANYONE?
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:18:07 PM »
Had the great pleasure of competing in a tourney with Rocky, the new manager at Dismal River.
Rocky is interested in extending an invitation to anyone in this forum who hasn't yet been to the new Nicklaus course near Mullen, Ne. Or, to anyone who visited last year when conditions struggled mightily. This year the course's conditions are up to snuff and he'd like to show it off.

I'd suggest also playing Wild Horse and Bayside for anyone who might be interested in visiting the region.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Michael Dugger

Re: DISMAL RIVER ANYONE?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »
A

I'll have Albert fuel up the Lear and be there by sundown!  (I wish)

Did you take any pictures???  Overall impression having played under good conditions???
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:44:32 PM »
Michael, I didn't mean to imply the tourney was at DR. It was at Bayside.
I've played the JN design twice. The difference was appreciable once the changes were made.

Last year was the steep learning curve for Justin, the super. First the winter was harsh on all the Bent grasses in the region. Then, It took a lot more TLC to get the grass to re-establish. More water more fert.

I'd be happy to help set up anyone who might be interested in the offer. While the course has a landing strip, it's really only about 1 1/2 hours north of North Platte by car. Checking out The Prairie Club might not be a bad idea either.

Rocky has also gone a long way in mending any fences that might have existed with the established course in the area.
Rocky is a treat to golf with. The only other person who plays quicker...Craig E.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:02:17 PM »
Adm, I liked Dismal River when I played it last year.  The conditions were a little scratchy but I could see past them.  I really liked it and don't know why it has not have received the imprimatur of folks.   I'd go back and stay in one of the cabins and could have fun playing the course.  It has some wonderful and inventive short par fours and one of the more unusual par threes with a bunker in the middle (# 10?)
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:31:44 PM »
Tommy:

Describing that par-3 tenth at Dismal River as "unusual" does not really do it justice.  I thought it was bizarre. 

Also, if you had taken me out there and removed a blindfold and asked me who designed that hole, Jack Nicklaus would not have been in my first 20 guesses.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 10:37:03 PM »
I agree, Tom D.   It was out of the Cardassian Galaxy. I only managed a brief conversation with Crhis Cochran at this year's ASGCA meeting, but all-in-all I applauded him for the beyond-the-Bear design.

By the way, if anyone finds six NIKE MOJO balls in the tall weeds, they are mine.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 10:48:54 PM »
I agree, Tom D.   It was out of the Cardassian Galaxy. I only managed a brief conversation with Crhis Cochran at this year's ASGCA meeting, but all-in-all I applauded him for the beyond-the-Bear design.

Bizarre might be the correct description of it.  The first time I played the pin was in the back.  It made the Dell seem routine.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ron Farris

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 11:41:27 PM »
Adam, I will be in that area later this month --- The Prairie Club.  After my time there I might consider a re-visit to Dismal.  I toured the place during mid-construction.  Playing the course might give more insight to the club.  I trust all is well at Ballyneal!

Nick Church

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »
That's a heck of an offer.  May be good enough to motivate me to figure out how many ham-in-hand sandwiches, RC Colas, and sleeping on the side of the road it will take from Nashville to Nebraska.   

It would be my first ever trip to that region of the country.  As I read more about Eastern CO and NE for golfing gems, the temptation grows.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »
The par 3 10th, w/bunker in middle (and tarp still up helping stop erosion):

Short, uphill par 3 (#5, I think) in background:

#11 tee shot:

approach:

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »
Bette and I are game. Perhaps he can ask JN to include us on his next flight from Jupiter to Mullen.  ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dan Chapman

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »
Scott, thanks for posting the photos.  Any other pictures of the 10th out there?  I'm curious to see more of it.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 08:38:01 PM »
#10 From the tee

#10 from the left side of the green

#10 from the back of the green (where my ball ended up) looking toward the front

Damon Groves

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »
This isn't the first Par 3 that Jack has designed with a bunker in front and bunker in the middle of the green. This hole at Dismal is very similar in design to the 12th Jack designed at Hualalai on the Big Island. I haven't played Dismal but played Hualalai and enjoyed the hole. You very much had to think about it on the tee and hit the correct part of the green.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 11:59:57 AM »
Haven't been there but have to say #10 there has the biggest front to back fall I've seen since #7 at Pennard!  :o  Pretty wild but interesting.  If it's a short iron should be a fun test.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »
Although there were some clear changes that needed to be made at DR -- I can recall the amount of chat the 13th generated when I was there. Be curious to know if #13 has since been changed.

One final point -- being so close to Sand Hills has not worked for DR given the sheer magnitude of the C&C layout. Someone asked me if DR was not in the immediate neighborhood would its overall standing be viewed differently. Interesting question to ponder.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 10:39:14 PM »
Matt, The 13th was altered the most. The green no longer sits above/beyond the ridge. It sits some 60 yards short of it's previous position. As I recall, the new green is relatively flat and peanut shaped with the orientation str8 on to the elongated peanut. The DZ was also widened and flattened.

I don't buy any argument that DR's proximity to SH is to blame for any of its struggles. As I intimated above, fences have now been mended and new principles are involved.

The club is now managed by Troon Golf. I've heard they are offering quite the deal on memberships. One such deal is... A prospective member brings a group up to checkout the club, Once the group spends more than $1100, that amount is deducted from the 15k initiation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back