News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Merion's Early Timeline
« Reply #3575 on: July 28, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »
I really want to understand this process and what is happening to these gentlemen in this ongoing debate or argument.  I have been reading some exerpts from these Douglas Walton books on argument, and eristic dialogue, and sophist methods,

http://books.google.com/books?id=ef1S81lVT-YC&pg=PA124&dq=Plato,+eristic+argument,+walton

and go to the book, "Plausible Argument" pages around 124-5 and the discussion of Plato's Euthydemus dialogues.  I'm afraid I see a lot of applicable comparisons herein this thread.

To some extent I'm not surprised about David M., as he being a trained lawyer probably has studied these methods of argumentation at great length.  But, at some point this has to be more about winning the battle for some sort of esoteric recognition of golf historian extraordinare, than enlightening the mildly interested, regarding this whole matter of attribution of Merion's full history, IMO.

While at times I've seen where the combatants had some form of mental telepathy truce on some minor point and struck a more Socratic tone to discover or agree on a point, they continue to vie for king of the archives and keeper of the 'real' story flame, it seems to me.

So if there ever is a debate winner, what do you get?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

DMoriarty

« Reply #3576 on: July 28, 2009, 09:57:24 PM »
I really want to understand this process and what is happening to these gentlemen in this ongoing debate or argument.  I have been reading some exerpts from these Douglas Walton books on argument, and eristic dialogue, and sophist methods,

http://books.google.com/books?id=ef1S81lVT-YC&pg=PA124&dq=Plato,+eristic+argument,+walton

and go to the book, "Plausible Argument" pages around 124-5 and the discussion of Plato's Euthydemus dialogues.  I'm afraid I see a lot of applicable comparisons herein this thread.

To some extent I'm not surprised about David M., as he being a trained lawyer probably has studied these methods of argumentation at great length.  But, at some point this has to be more about winning the battle for some sort of esoteric recognition of golf historian extraordinare, than enlightening the mildly interested, regarding this whole matter of attribution of Merion's full history, IMO.

While at times I've seen where the combatants had some form of mental telepathy truce on some minor point and struck a more Socratic tone to discover or agree on a point, they continue to vie for king of the archives and keeper of the 'real' story flame, it seems to me.

So if there ever is a debate winner, what do you get?

Sorry, but it is not about winning for me.  It is about figuring out what happened.  That will likely be impossible so long as many of the key documents are being hidden.   In the mean time, I don't think much good will come of agreeing to something that none of know for certain is true.

Your not the first person to try to dismiss me as some sophist and I am sure you will not be the last.   The same things have been said at just about every stage of this conversation,  yet I have been proven correct far more often than not.  I suspect that will be the case again.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

« Reply #3577 on: July 28, 2009, 09:59:24 PM »
"But, at some point this has to be more about winning the battle for some sort of esoteric recognition of golf historian extraordinare, than enlightening the mildly interested, regarding this whole matter of attribution of Merion's full history, IMO."

RJ:

That may be what's happening on this website on this subject but in the real world at some of these private clubs I think something far more important and perhaps ominous for the likes of us passionate researchers is beginning to brew because of this six and a half years and still running Merion farce produced by MacWood and Moriarty. I predict the general affect will be some of these private clubs will be shutting their doors to interested researchers who either won't or can't show them some pretty credible bona fides!

It's too damn bad for all of us really as these two dudes are a couple of really sick puppies. A number of us warned this site and some on it. Too bad they weren't paying closer attention.

TEPaul

« Reply #3578 on: July 28, 2009, 10:08:43 PM »
"It is about figuring out what happened.  That will likely be impossible so long as many of the key documents are being hidden."

I would say that's true because it doesn't look like you will ever be satisfied with those key documents until you go to those clubs and see them for yourself and I don't think that will ever happen for a couple of reasons.   

"Your not the first person to try to dismiss me as some sophist and I am sure you will not be the last."

You've got that right. He sure isn't the first as just about everyone else has as well other than your revisionist buddy MacWood! ;) 

"The same things have been said at just about every stage of this conversation,"

And all for very good reasons!

"yet I have been proven correct far more often than not.  I suspect that will be the case again."

I suspect that might be true as long as you have your cheering section of one.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3579 on: July 28, 2009, 10:31:16 PM »
I don't even know what to say at this point...

This is perhaps the most pathetic and worthless thing I've ever been personally involved in.

It reminds me of the whole craziness over the Obama Birth Certificate....

It doesn't matter at this point if the state of Hawaii produces a billion material witnesses and 500 copies of the original in triplicate.

The crazies who demand that the "FACTS" of their conspiracy theory be heard and vetted will simply scream right over the top of it.

Just like on GCA, the "birthists" will point to those HIDING THE FACTS...DEMANDING that THE TRUTH BE HEARD!!!

They'll question motives, they'll say it's been the PLAN ALL ALONG, designed to PROPAGATE THE MYTH.

Those who line up on that same political side, for whatever personal reasons of their own, will give support and comfort to the champions of the cause, even if they know deep down they are crazed lunatics fighting an irrational crusade, but at least it sort of helps their friends and damages their enemies..

Others who just want to see good entertainment will also offer encouragement, simply because it beats what is on television.

Others will think they can offer a sane voice of reason, only to try for awhile, only to give up in frustration and anger and move on.

I don't even know what to say here anymore.  

You couldn't offer a more absurd scenario around a 5th grade lunchroom argument.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 10:42:42 PM by MCirba »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3580 on: July 28, 2009, 10:32:56 PM »
Your not the first person to try to dismiss me as some sophist and I am sure you will not be the last.   The same things have been said at just about every stage of this conversation,  yet I have been proven correct far more often than not.  I suspect that will be the case again.

It's too damn bad for all of us really as these two dudes are a couple of really sick puppies. A number of us warned this site and some on it. Too bad they weren't paying closer attention.

Both of these statements are examples of what I've been reading about 'eristic dialogue' and contentious argumentation that leads to little enlightenment, just more heat.

Someone said somewhere above that you've all made your points ad nauseum.  As far as I can tell (and I may be completely wrong as I have not read all 106 pages and billion posts) but you are all just redescribing the same facts over and over attached to heavy doses of vitriolic.  It was suggested to be satisfied you all have made your points, and let them lay for those of the whomever is interested to consume and digest, and make up their own mind, or not.  As they say... in a hundred years who the hell will care.  Wait, a hundred years ago, this debate didn't actually "rage on" as it was happening in real time.  I don't see any of the principles or the actors, CBM, Whigham, Wilson's, all those other big shot Philly industrialists and bankers rage-on over attribution.  Just a few commentaries and remembrances, a eulogy, a series of agronomy letters, and personal perspectives, etc.  

Tom, historical books have been written that don't flatter or apparently tell the truth for a couple thousand years on all manner of subjects.  Particularly government affairs are constantly debated, mischaracterized, and institutions are slammed and misscharacterized from various egotistical and intellectually unethical historians all the time.  Do we ever get all the facts on anything?  Yet, they haven't shut down the government institutions or other private institutions because someone didn't get it right intentionally or unwittingly.  Why on earth would some private historically significant golf club somehow put up a moat they don't already have in terms of privacy, because somebody got the history wrong, or intentionally twisted history?  How many people in the modern era would even care if it were misreported that CBM was dancing in the moonlight with Dev Emmitt?  The field of intense interest on these matters is very small, I believe.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3581 on: July 28, 2009, 10:38:44 PM »
RJ,

I think I'll simply re-post something I just put on the "new" Desmond Tolhurst thread.

Thanks for trying to introduce sanity into a situation well past that...

Tom,

I really hope your newly-hired curvaceous, winsome, bubble-headed assistant typed all of that, simply because you had to keep her busy doing something!      ::) :D ;)

Otherwise....phew....I think we all need to get outside in the sun or get laid or something.

This is getting to the point where the other 1490 member of GCA are going to hire the mental health professionals in our respective states to come with the little men in white to take us all away...

Seriously...

DMoriarty

« Reply #3582 on: July 28, 2009, 11:17:27 PM »
RJ

Certain aspects of these threads have been eristic from the very beginning.   I've been subjected to an eristic bombardment since before my essay was even posted.  Hell, TEPaul even stated that his goal here was "to make a fool of me" which is a pretty darn good definition of the goal of an euristic argument.   And I do understand why you would throw me in with them, even though I feel it is quite unfair at least as to the magnitude.    The problem I have is that my instinct is to defend myself and my position.   So when attacked I tend to fight back, even if doesn't necessarily advance the argument.   So for example when TEPaul repeatedly scolds me for not going to Merion, I eventually feel like I need to set the record straight and explain why.  And when TEPaul claims that my essay was all wrong except for one date,  I feel compelled to set the record straight.  

Would you really have me just let him spout off endlessly?   Never correct him, never challenge him?   What about when people start to accept his misrepresentations as true?  

An interesting aside not on the Sophists but on Socrates and Plato.    The early dialogues are thought to have been attempts to accurately portay Socrates as he really was.   In them Socrates is always questioning but never providing or accepting any answers.   Then, in the middle dialogues, Plato starts portraying Socrates differently.  He isn't just questioning, he is actually providing answers.  The progression continues into the later dialogues although things get messy there, and there are some questions of attribution (go figure.)

I always preferred the historical Socrates who saw no evil in questioning convention, even when hard and fast answers were never forthcoming.   In contrast, Plato's Socrates was a bit too dogmatic from my taste.   As for the Sophists, at least as they are portrayed in Euthydemus, they are bullies and heavy-handed thugs.

Lastly RJ,  calling me out by name in your first post, and playing the lawyer card -- in fact criticizing the participants instead of our arguments, all that would be right up Eurythedemus' alley.  

Look at your two examples above  Do they really compare?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:20:56 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3583 on: July 29, 2009, 12:00:39 AM »
David, calling you out by name was my attempt to recognise that you are a lawyer, and thus not a chimp when it comes to a fine education, and you are well schooled in argumentation and all the philosophies and historical argumentative methods.  It was a recognition of your work and skills, which are evident in all your posts.  One would not want to hire a lawyer, it seems to me, who wasn't skilled and knowledgeable in these matters and methods. 

The fact that you have given a fine account of Socrates, Plato, the dialogues and such is evidence you are keenly aware of the subject at hand, eristic argument, etc.  No doubt you have studied all this stuff in earnest.  I'm not that bright or well educated.  I can google, wiki with the best of them, but barely remember my intense study of Cliff's notes. 

But, this exercise in the last debator standing, and epic confrontation that is very heavily laced on all your collective parts in eristic elements, and occasional sophistry is evident even to a boob like me.  And, I'll thank you all that you have at least sent me scurrying to the lazy man's research in an effort to figure out what is making you gentlemen go on into these obsessions.  Most all of us get it what you each are saying already.  So, shoot the damn mule, shoulder your muskets and walk it on back to the fort.  We other 1490 of GCA.com, that Mike referred to, will bury the dead.

But, isn't there much room for all of us to self realise we all have these elements and characteristics of using the eristic argumentation when we get deeply involved in closely held beliefs?  I'll plead no contest...  ::) :-\

DMoriarty

« Reply #3584 on: July 29, 2009, 02:16:07 AM »
RJ,

You have an inaccurate understanding of what a lawyer does and what a lawyer studies.   As I am not a practicing lawyer I'll leave it to someone else to explain it to you.

Call me a sophist all you like.  I just want all the information out so we can then draw our own conclusions. 

TEPaul

« Reply #3585 on: July 29, 2009, 03:57:31 AM »
"Why on earth would some private historically significant golf club somehow put up a moat they don't already have in terms of privacy, because somebody got the history wrong, or intentionally twisted history?"

RJ:

I don't see any of them putting up a moat as you say. But it wouldn't surprise me if they tell some they aren't welcome if they spent months or even years on some world-wide Internet website that many are aware of constantly insulting and denigrating one of their members for something he is well respected for within the club----eg the course's architectural history. It's probably no different than a couple of people standing across the street yelling the same insults at some member. I doubt the club would be inclined to welcome them into the club or to play the golf course. I don't think this is any different.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 08:15:33 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3586 on: July 29, 2009, 06:36:49 AM »
RJ
Your government example is a good one. It can go the other way as well. Governments have been known hide the truth and try to cover up the facts. Even today we have some governments who deny or minimize their actions - Turkey and the Armenian genocide and Japan and the Nanking massacre are a couple of examples. Even the USA has been guilty of this from time to time, I'm thinking of some of the experiments conducted its own people in the 50s and 60s during the Cold War. Thankfully the info eventually came out. Obviously the history of a golf course pales in comparison. But in the end the truth usually does come out and those who attempted to hide the truth are the one's embarrassed.

You are right Merion is a historically significant club, and should be above all this, especially considering the increased attention they will be given due to the upcoming Walker Cup and US Open. I don't understand why they would let the personal vendetta of one member and one non-member drag them down.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3587 on: July 29, 2009, 09:55:12 AM »
"Your committee desires to report that after laying out many different golf courses on the new ground, they went down to the National course with Mr. Macdonald and spent the evening going over his plans and the various data he had gathered abroad in regard to golf courses. The next day we spent on the ground studying....."

"On our return, we re-arranged the course and laid out five different plans."

Mike, my thoughts on the above statement are as follows.

I think "they" had prepared several routings/designs.
I think "they" presented them to CBM.
I think CBM offered a critique on each one, pointing out the strenghts and weaknesses.
I think CBM offered alternative routings/designs.
As a result, I think they went back to Merion, armed with CBM's redrafting of their plans.
They benefited from having examined NGLA with CBM.
The benefited from listening to his on site commentary about NGLA and golf design, and how they might work out at Merion.

I think THAT meeting resulted in the end stage routing/design of Merion and I believe CBM's hand in the routing/design was heavy/substantive.

That's the way I read that passage.

Patrick,

Sorry for the spun, knee-jerk response of last evening.

I do very much appreciate you at least trying to intelligently discuss what is clearly evidence, much as others may claim it's been tampered with, or otherwise faulty.

I do think your responses deserve serious discussion so let me try to do that.

You said;

I think "they" had prepared several routings/designs.  I agree that this is clear and I also would contend that because we know the same group went to NGLA "after" doing this, and "on our return" laid out five "different plans", we know beyond any doubt that if the minutes are accurate that we're talking about the same group, or Committee.   Further, since we know clearly from other sources who went to visit M&W at NGLA, we also know the Committee in question is Hugh Wilson's committee, would you agree?

I think "they" presented them to CBM. This could certainly be inferred, and it seems reasonable they would have done this.   However, there is also no direct evidence to indicate this being so.    For instance, they do not say "we presented our plans for the new golf course to Macdonald for his review", or anything of the sort.   Instead, they seemed to be much more focused on what HE, Macdonald had been doing and how he had gone about building NGLA, rather than their own efforts to date.   They went over his plans ( I assume his plans at this point were related to his work in progress at NGLA, as he had only seen the Merion land one day 9 months prior and wrote a single-page report giving a bit of a wishy-washy recommendation that the land might be suitable for a first-class golf course) and and his sketches of holes abroad, and the next day toured the golf course at NGLA, which I'm sure was a very valuable and instructive use of their time.

Hugh Wilson himself told us exactly what they did there; "...in one night absorbed more ideas on golf course construction than in all of the years we had played.  Through sketches and explanations of the correct principles of the holes that form the famous courses abroad and had stood the test of time, we learned what was right and what we should try to accomplish (bold(s) mine) with our natural conditions.   The next day we spent going over the course and studying the different holes.  Every good course that I saw later in England and Scotland confirmed Mr. Macdonald's teachings.   May I suggest to any committee about to build a new course, or to alter their old one, that they spend as much time as possible on courses such as the National and Pine Valley, where they may see the finest types of holes and, while they cannot reproduce them in entirety, they can learn the correct principles and adapt them to their own courses."  

I think CBM offered a critique on each one, pointing out the strenghts and weaknesses.
I think CBM offered alternative routings/designs.
As a result, I think they went back to Merion, armed with CBM's redrafting of their plans.
While you make clear that this is your inference, I do think you are reading a lot into it without much in the way of evidence.   It seems to me again that what is mentioned is what HE Macdonald had been doing that was the focus, not what the Merion group had done to date.   Given the force of Macdonald's personality, and the respect the Merion Committee had for his opiinion, I can easily see it being much of a one-way conversation, with short Merion questions resulting in long Macdonald answers.   I think the short passage here in the minutes is reflective of that dynamic.

They benefited from having examined NGLA with CBM.
The benefited from listening to his on site commentary about NGLA and golf design, and how they might work out at Merion.
Wholeheartedly agreed, and I do think Hugh Wilson makes that very clear in his own reminisces.   I think this meeting was somewhat of a turning point in the process, which is why they mentioned it even years later, and it helped them clearly.  

I think THAT meeting resulted in the end stage routing/design of Merion and I believe CBM's hand in the routing/design was heavy/substantive.   Patrick, while I agree that this meeting had a big impact on the committee, I think it was in terms of clarifying some of their thought processes around their design, and perhaps giving birth to other flights of imagination.    We KNOW it was significant to the final design stage simply because they went back and "laid out five different plans" after the meeting.    I think ultimately the question that we will never answer and probably always debate will be one of percentages.  

I think it's good that we've finally reached a point where it's agreed by many here including you that all of this routing activitiy didn't happen prior to the end of 1910, although some rough or informal routing processses initiated by Merion may have preceeded 1911 (although no evidence of that exists).   I think that's progress.

I think it's good that we're now focusing more on the first months of 1911 in our collective search, because this is also clearly when things were determined and no matter how anyone wants to cast doubt on what the MCC Minutes actually say, they clearly do reflect the major design activity taking place in the first four months of 1911.

And, as I mentioned, because the details aren't recorded, unless further evidence surfaces, I think we'll always debate exact contributions that Macdonald was responsible for versus Wilson, and those who favor one side over the other will try to steer the argument in their preferred direction.    

From my perspective, in the final analysis, while I agree that Macdonald had a larger role than was previously known, not a single contemporaneous account of his contributions actually pulled that trigger and mentioned the "D", or the "R" words, instead simply saying he "advised" the process and offered "suggestions", however valuable.

To me, a man in charge does not "suggest" or "advise".    To me those two verbs clearly refer to someone who is outside the main ongoing process, and it's always been somewhat amazing to me that everyone at that time used nearly the exact same verbiage to describe what they did, whether it was Robert Lesley, Alan Wilson,  A.W. Tillinghast, or "Far and Sure".   None of them ever pulled the trigger and suggested that the routing or design was of Macdonald's authorship.

Neither does the word "approve" suggest someone who is an author, much like Shvas pointed out months back.   To me, it is very clear that they highly-valued Macdonald's opinion, and the fact that they asked him to come down and help them pick the best of their routings is proof-positive of that.    But the question remains, if Macdonald was the author of that plan, why would he need to come back to pick it?    Of course he wouldn't.

Finally Patrick, I know you're a man who believes in taking direct personal responsibitliy in any endeavor, amd that ultimately, the buck has to stop somewhere.   As Chairman of the committee in charge of the new golf course during this period, wouldn't Hugh Wilson ultimately be the one to get the credit or blame, no matter whose advice he took, or who he asked questions of, or how many ideas he solicitied and opinions he listened to?

Max Behr in 1914 wrote that Hugh Wilson was virtually dictatorial in the way he operated at Merion, much like Macdonald at NGLA and Leeds at Myopia.   Does that sound like a man to you who would have shirked direct personal responsibiilty and decision-making for what took place at Merion?

Thanks for listening, and thanks for trying to advance the dialogue.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:32:47 AM by MCirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3588 on: July 29, 2009, 10:30:52 AM »
And, with that, I've said all I can say about what I think happened based on everything that's been presented and everything I know and have learned.

I'm not interested in arguing further with anyone here or elsewhere about it.  If other's want to say what they think happened, that's fine too.

If others have new evidence to submit in the future, that would be nice, as well.

Otherwise, we're so far past the point of absurdity that we're circling in on ourselves.

JESII

« Reply #3589 on: July 29, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for that post...it would be great if everyone would lay out (ha) their opinion just like that. I think I have in the past, at least in regards to certain components and if the conversation evolved into an actual conversation I would be happy to do it again but I think the best thing for all of this is to re-convene when someone has a worthwhile factoid to throw into the mix...

TEPaul

« Reply #3590 on: July 29, 2009, 11:05:41 AM »
Mike:

I pretty much agree with everything you said in that good summation post except this;

"From my perspective, in the final analysis, while I agree that Macdonald had a larger role than was previously known....."

That to me begs the question of a larger role than previously known by whom?

Previously know by most of the people on here? Yeah, I guess so, but that all depends on the individuals. You can see from MacWood's initial thread on all this years ago he apparently never even knew Macdonald/Whigam had anything at all to do with Merion East until he found a few articles somewhere. At least that's what he said on that thread "Re: Macdonald and Merion" that began all this. Look it up and see for yourself!

But Merion itself? Obviously they all who were involved back then knew that Macdonald/Whgam helped and advised them on three separate occasions over ten months and and that is why they (the administrators of MCC back then) gave him a lot of credit and thanks for that help and advice.

But routing and designing Merion East, or being the driving force behind it or being the one in control???

Are you kidding me? No one back then ever said anything remotely like that or wrote or recorded anything like that. Had Macdonald done those things for them too rather than just some helpful advice is there any reason imaginable they wouldn't have mentioned that and thanked him really profusely for it and in detail too?

They thanked him for his "kindly help and advice", not for routing and designing Merion East or being the driving force behind it or the man in control. Those attributions back then and throughout the next century would fall to a young man named Hugh Wilson and for good reason!

There is no mystery to who designed Merion East. There never was. This website needs to know that and appreciate it and if they ever do they should realize there was no reason at all this subject needed to be discussed on here for over six and a half years.

That's my summation and my opinion, Sully.

JESII

« Reply #3591 on: July 29, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »
Thanks Tommy...so long as you agree that the triangle on the November Plan indicates.........

forget it...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3592 on: July 29, 2009, 11:31:16 AM »
Jim/Tom,

Thanks.   I've added just a bit to my summary post above about the visit to NGLA from Hugh Wilson that I think pretty much encapsulates it all for me and sort of brings things full circle.

I hope you agree it adds value.

TEPaul

« Reply #3593 on: July 29, 2009, 12:05:47 PM »
Mike:

As far as what Wilson and his committee did and said with Macdonald/Whigam during that two day meeting I feel we have two ways to look at it:

1. What they actual said and recorded.
2. What they didn't.

Don't forget, that Wilson report and his later chapter in P&O's book and Alan Wilson's letter to Philler are not the only places where the goings-on of that two day NGLA meeting are recorded. Wilson also wrote about that meeting to Oakley on March 13, 1911. In that letter he only mentioned that he had gone over a number of pamphlets and magazines on turf and agronomy with Macdonald and Macdonald had showed him his own turf plots at NGLA and that was all very interesting to him. Wilson never said a thing to Oakley about going over Macdonald's plans and sketches and data from abroad for NGLA or what they talked about regarding the "principles" of holes or architecture or construction to be applied to Merion and its natural features.

Why was that?

In my opinion, Wilson was an extremely efficient, perhaps compartmentalized thinker and writer and he never seemed to stray that much off the particular subject he was dealing with someone on at the time (with P&O only agronomy and with M/W some of both) and that was necessarily quite different in all that he did with and for Merion. There's no question in my mind even if the likes of Lloyd and MCC may never have written it about him specifically, Hugh Wilson was a real bright light in a whole lot of ways and apparently they all could see that and understand it and what it meant or would mean and that is why they picked him to do what they asked him to do and what he did, and what has been recorded over the years that he did back in that early phase and later.

So is it possible or even likely Wilson and Committee could've talked about other things than they wrote and recorded like the routing and design plan of Merion East while they were at NGLA in early March 1911? Of course it is. But all we know is they never recorded that. In my mind there was probably a good reason for that.

So people on here can speculate about what they said and did that they never wrote about or recorded. For my part I would rather just concentrate on the meaning of the things they actualy did write and record. And the meaning of what was written in that Wilson report is pretty clear to me. I just don't think it needs or deserves much additional speculation but that is exactly what it has been subjected to on here and in spades.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:08:36 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3594 on: July 29, 2009, 12:16:50 PM »
I don't know what it means. Without the entire statement its impossible to determine what is being said. The only thing for certain, there was a golf course that they re-arranged on their return.

Again IMO this is an exercise in futility, trying to guess the meaning of an incomplete disjointed statement. Can anyone tell me why they refuse to reveal the entire report?

Based upon their track record their refusal to reveal the entire statement I believe says more about the possible ramifications of the report than this (ever changing) excerpt.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:44:07 PM by Tom MacWood »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3595 on: July 29, 2009, 12:42:06 PM »
Gentlemen, good news!  The good Doctor Katz is back in, I spotted him on a Melvyn thread.  Don't just mosey on over there and PM him, run!!!  If nothing else TEP, while you have stated elsewhere that you are contemplating deregistration, you'll now have to stay for the manditory 26 week all inclusive couch therapy appointments.

DMoriarty

« Reply #3596 on: July 29, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »
    A husband went to a private investigator and said; "My friends tell me that my wife is cheating on me, but I can't believe it. We're soul mates, have been married for 15 years, and have always had a terrific relationship. She'd never deceive me or do anything that would hurt our children.  But my friends have provided me with some circumstantial stories and rumors, yet they have no direct proof and they surely don't know her like I know her.   I've had it with these so-called friends bad mouthing my wife and sullying her reputation.   I want to hire you to do do a thorough investigation so that we can put an end to this nonsense once and for all."  

The investigator took the job and after about a week he met again with the husband and showed him some photographs;  "Here she is leaving the house soon after you left for work, as she did every day.  Here she is purchasing condoms at a drugstore.  Here she is driving to a roadside motel on the edge of town, as she did every day.  Here she is going into one of the rooms, and here is a young handsome man a few minutes later, going into the same room, as he did every day.  There they are through the window, embracing passionately and hastily undressing each other, as they did every day.  Here he is closing the blinds, as he did every day.   Here they are emerging from the room two hours later, her hair and makeup mussed up and her clothes disheveled."  

The husband responded; "See, it is just as I said.  No direct evidence.  It is all just circumstantial.  My supposed friends are crazy and out to ruin my marriage.   Thanks for proving that they are no friends of mine."

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3597 on: July 29, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »
RJ,

I already beat you to the punch and the Auld Quack prescribed a night of debauchery on the town in Columbus, OH with MacWood, and told me we should send Tom Paul and David over to Cheyne....er...Weiskopf's house while we're there for some deeper de-conditioning.

Unfortunately, despite driving around that scintillating burb all nite long, I still couldn't find either Tom or his secret Ivory Tower.  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3598 on: July 29, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
The more recent Desmond Tolhurst Merion history book has already been mentioned, but two other books bear mention.

The first, which Alan Wilson wrote his reminsces for about the origins of the East and West courses was to have been published around 1926 and was to have been written by William Philler.   If that book was ever written, no trace has turned up of it.

The second was by former club president H.R. Heilman, and was published in 1976.   I picked up a copy a few months back on EBAY, but until today, had never read the acknowledgements.

Note the mention of the Merion Cricket Club Meeting Minutes in the acknowledgements, as well as the relevant pages to this discussion from the book.   For those hoping for some secret or hidden revelations in those minutes, this would seem to clearly indicate otherwise.   It also seems to indicate that one of the drivers for the new course was indeed the Haskell Ball, and also points out that Merion had indeed known and recognized the value of Macdonald and Whigham's advice, which was much more than "glorified travel agents".  

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:39:03 PM by MCirba »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #3599 on: July 29, 2009, 03:59:56 PM »
I've been saying for sometime Heilman's book is far superior to Tolhurst's. Tolhurst's book is embarrassing I'm not sure how he avoided being sued by Heilman for plagiarism.

Throughout his book Heilman quotes from the minutes, which begs the question how come he got the story so wrong. If he had the minutes (and he obviously had Hugh Wilson's account) he would known Barker and M&W inspected the site in June 1910, the committee was formed in early 1911, the committee travelled to the NGLA in March 1911 and M&W retuned to Merion in April to finalize the plans. He doesn't mention any of that. He would have also known Wilson travelled to the UK after the trip to the NGLA, and therefore after the course was under construction.

Is Wind the source for the legend of Hugh Wilson?

It is also interesting how little they quote from or use Wilson's own account, the most important account. Tolhurst did not use it at all and Heilman barely mentions it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back