News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

GolfClubAtlas.com is back .......
« on: May 07, 2009, 11:54:07 AM »
...and better than ever!

From the Discussion Group to the new Golf & Travel section, everything has been upgraded and enjoys a fresh re-design (hopefully, you'll agree this isn't some classic course restoration that turned into a renovation that turned into a hack job). All your Discussion Group details remain the same and you should find the functionality of the site to be greatly improved, from the search engine to being able to print. Another benefit is that Ben and I now have much greater control of the statistics of the site. Later today, Ben is going to post some of the funnier ones.

One big change that occurred is behind the scenes and it allows Ben and me to post large In My Opinion pieces at a fraction of the time. We have some great ones to post in the next thirty days too from Bob Crosby, Phil Young and Chris Clouser/Jay Flemma. Another change is that The My Home Course section rolled up under In My Opinion so that talented writers like Matthew Mollica remain encouraged to post profiles on courses like Titirangi (despite it not being his home course).

We are still adding in some new text (for instance in the sections on Josh Smith's paintings and David Scaletti's photographs) but we wanted to get the Hindenburg off the ground in the timeframe that we stated. We will work through any little kinks in the days ahead.

As always, we all owe a tremendous thanks to Chris and Dave at SiteSuite in Australia as without them, this site wouldn't likely exist. When I retire down there (or am forced to flee back there under the cloak of darkness  8), which ever comes first), we will no doubt transition the site back to their platform.

In the meanwhile, here we are. The transition went smoothly thanks to the patient folks at ConnectNC one mile from the GolfClubAtlas campus ;). There is a HUGE amount of material on GolfClubAtlas.com and we intend to maximize our web presence in search functions now that the site enjoys a professional standard. As always, we hope that everyone will continue to add to the wealth of information already here as we are confident that GolfClubAtlas.com is the best medium to reach the largest number of people around the globe who are interested in golf course architecture.

Cheers,

Ran & Ben

Roger Wolfe

Re: GolfClubAtlas.com is back .......
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:32:34 PM »
Thank you Ran & Ben!!

Jonathan McCord

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:10:24 AM »
FANTASTIC!  Seems much easier to navigate already!  Way to make a great site even better.  Thanks for all you do!
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Mark_F

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 08:13:49 AM »
Very classy.

Not that it wasn't before, of course...

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 08:14:18 AM »
Looks great, thanks to all involved!

Peter Wagner

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:17:12 AM »
Thanks for the work boys... everything looks great!

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:30:22 AM »
Well done guys, looks great, although I can't see smileys at the moment?

The only problem is I've realised how productive I can be at work without GCA.com!!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:35:17 AM »
a cleaner, very chic look Ran!

and I LOVE the logo at the top.......i wonder if we could get someone to make golf shirts with a tiny version of that logo...i think that would look awesome!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:44:12 AM »
Very cool!!!

It's been a long week at work with GCA down  ;)
H.P.S.

Jim Colton

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »
The longest week of my life!  I'd love to see some stats on the number of hits the 'maintenance mode' page received each day during the blackout.

I spent the week reacquainting myself with the wife and kids. Who knew I actually have a 2-year old son named Luke. Cute kid!

Great work Ran and Ben.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:06:20 AM »
Great work. 

Nice website architecture too!  :)

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:14:33 AM »
A new logo - very cool.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »
Thanks, Ran! New site looks fantastic!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tom Yost

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 09:26:14 AM »
HOORAY!!!   I was starting to get fever and sweats!  Management is investigating a mysterious spike in productivity this week...

A BIG THANKS and hat tip to Ran and Ben for all the efforts.

Tom

Robert Emmons

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 09:37:47 AM »
Thank You...RHE

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »
I don't know yet if it is a great change.  I'll have to toy with the search function which was not very good on the old site.  I also had to change my display from 800X600 to 1024-760 so as not to scruntch down the banner on top where the logo was overtopping the message center.  So now I have to squint some to read the text.  And, I see that Dan Kelly and a few other emoticonphobics will be happy that only an Xbox is visible rather than smileys and frowns and the like... So they have that going for them....

And I also like the new logo.  I assume that the posting mufti at world headquarters of GCA.com there in Southern Pines remains a smoking jacket with pipe and slippers...  ;)  <--- see no winky wink...  ::) <--- or rolling eyes   :(  <--- or sad  ( and they haven't got one for hand gestures yet!  :P

is this cool?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »
Excellent look. Certainly a few bugs to work thru but not the end of the world.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 09:46:53 AM »
I also had to change my display from 800X600 to 1024-760 so as not to scruntch down the banner on top where the logo was overtopping the message center.  So now I have to squint some to read the text.

Dick - Change the text size setting in your browser and you should be happy... and, not need your reading glasses!!!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 09:57:08 AM »
Thanks Mike, I'm a little behind the PC skill set for th 21st century, but I got that one, almost right away.  ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Richard Choi

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »
Oh thank god, I was getting the shakes from withdrawl...

The new site looks good!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 10:33:15 AM »
Clean and crisp!  Everything looks great!  Congratulations on the conversion.

Ray Cross

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 10:48:52 AM »
Ron & Ben,

Outstanding! Thanks for all your work and continuing interest.

Ray

Greg McMullin

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Very nice! Great Job

Scott Sander

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »
Very sharp!  

(Of course, I'm quite sure we'll all find something to criticise (or criticize) in short order.  But that's the price you pay when you invite this bunch into your new home. ;) )

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 10:54:43 AM »
Oh thank god, I was getting the shakes from withdrawl...

The new site looks good!

Ditto!  I was reaching panic stage.   :)  Able to get on...  Not able to get on...

So ya, a couple of things to workout like Jon mentions (e.g. icons not working), but I'm certainly impressed.  Very sweet.  The new logo is very cool.

I see there's a new travel piece as well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:58:28 AM by Patrick Kiser »
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back