News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

How To Benefit From All This?
« on: May 02, 2009, 12:25:18 AM »
I know that most participants in this discussion group are firmly entrenched in various professions, both inside and outside the world of golf.  I value the opinions expressed here highly, as well as the knowledge behind them.

Firstly, I sit five weeks from the end of my sophomore year here at W&L, starting to wonder how best to parlay my loves of golf, golf course architecture, and writing (I am an English major and may well pursue a Philosophy minor) into some kind of meaningful work.  My father retired from corporate work a few years ago and now is maintaining a service aimed at helping baby boomers find desirable property and homes in golf course communities in the South.  I have written a few articles here and there for one of his websites (http://www.golfcommunityreviews.com/) in the vein of some of my photo essays posted here.  I am wondering how best to proceed with that this summer, and would appreciate the input of anyone with ideas.

I do not hope to come off as solicitous or anything.  Rather, I was wondering what ideas or anecdotes might be out there.

Cheers.

--Tim
Senior Writer, GolfPass

RJ_Daley

Re: How To Benefit From All This?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 01:06:01 AM »
Tim, it occurs to me that everyone I can think of who has participated in GCA.com over the years, and then expanded from merely posting ideas and opinions here on GCA.com to a dedicated personal blog to write about GCA or golf in general, or who have let it be known that they wished to write for publications, has seemed to acquire a big bullseye target on their back and have incurred a hefty amount of criticism and undermining (often from 'other' would-be writers and commentators who fancy themselves as such).  :-\

But, I think it is a fine thing to have the skill and desire to write and communicate ideas, and the desire to practice the craft and get better at it.  The down side of writing about GCA is that you really won't have a commercially viable market as there just aren't enough of us troglodites to consume the offered written material.  It seems to me like to endure the criticisms that might be harsh,  and to perservere is a labor of love, in this particular subject matter.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 01:27:36 AM »
Tim,

The first thing that I would suggest is for you make a decision as to just what type of golf writer you want to be.

Do you want to REPORT on golf? That is what the vast majority of golf writers actually do, even those who write columns. If this is the direction you want to go I would strongly recommend that you contact the best golf radio program in the city where you live. Ask about interning for it. You will be amazed at the number of contacts that you will begin making almost immediately that will lead to publishing articles by you. In fact, many of the larger sports radio stations now have websites that have weekly articles "published" on them by their staff. A well-rounded CV will be needed to even get through the door of a newspaper/magazine. Because of how a "name" can be made through interning on a golf radio show, doors are more easily opened.

Do you want to write literary pieces and books about golf? That is something that I believe is sadly missed in almost all golf publications today. Can you name the last time you saw a quality golf poem published in ANY golf journal? What about a piece of quality fiction?

Links magazine had a contest last year where they advertised that they were looking for the "next" Herbert Warren Wind or Bernard Darwin. They asked for articles of 500 words or less to be submitted on the author's favorite public golf course. The winners were to be announced in February. Instead they extended the deadline through April... That is how rare it is to find those whose words inspire and transport the reader rather than simply filling their time with cute anecdotes or witty views on golf happenings.

Remember, you can always simply write to the editor of one or more of the golf journals, telling them of your desire to write about golf and enclose a sample article or column. KEEP doing that and you will certainly get both encouragement and criticism. Learn from both and, most importantly of all, get your name out in front of those who will be hiring the next great batch of writers...

When they are seeking someone they will remember you and what you've written.

Be DISTINCTIVE in whatever fashion that you write and learn to let this show naturally...

Know when to STOP writing. As you can see that is a lesson that I still need to learn...   

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 01:28:35 AM »
Tim -

this might not be what you want to hear or should be hearing, especially at this early stage of your career. But I really believe it, so here goes: I think it's best, in the long run and in every way, to write exactly and only what you want to write in exactly and only the way you want to write it. In other words, don't try to conform yourself to what you think the marketplace wants or expects from you -- instead, do your very best at what you love best, and let the marketplace come to you.

Peter 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 08:32:12 AM »
Tim:  I'll second what Peter had to say, above.  The only way to be successful about writing at golf is to have your own viewpoint and to be able to share it in a memorable way.

Be forewarned, though ... nearly half the golf writers I know have lost their gig in the last three years.  It's getting tough to make a living in that field.  Unfortunately, the same is also becoming true for a lot of other golf-related professions.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:55:39 AM »
I like your father's website at first glance. I'll review it in detail when I have some more time.

Golf writing in major newspapers is a dying profession. How about something in the business of golf- manufacturer's rep or club manager?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rick Sides

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »
Hey Tim,
Glad to hear you're so interested in golf.  I have a few suggestions.  First of all, a lot of people will tell you the economy is bad and a lot of people are losing their jobs in the golf industry, which is true.  However, if you really love something keep striving for it.  Look at Tom Doak.  He had a love for architecture as a young man and his love has enabled him to become what I think is one of the greatest architects ever; and Tom still has a lot of great work ahead of him!  What you may want to do is find a steady job related to journalism or history and then persue your love of golf also.  I am a history teacher in NJ.  I will never be rich teaching but it allows me to work on writing some articles for golf magazines and helping golf clubs with their archives.  You never know if you will one day get a break and then you can do the golf journalism full-time.  I hope I helped a bit.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 10:01:16 AM »
Thanks for the input, everyone.  I'm really trying to brainstorm at this point since I have a couple years to let it all materialize a bit more.  I am not totally sure that golf writing is what I aim to pursue at a career or more of a hobby at this point, and I certainly know that the current economy makes it tougher.

Again, many thanks for the advice.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Lyne Morrison

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 06:10:54 PM »

Tim - have a read of the 'about' page for the Out and Back web journal.

http://out-and-back.net/?page_id=2

Cheers - Lyne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back