News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Palm Springs Public Golf
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
All

One of my friends is heading to Palm Springs for a week of golf and I need to get him some recommendations....

I already told him if he could wrangle his way onto either Vintage Club, Stone Eagle or The Madison Club he would be ahead of the game, however I don't think that's going to happen. :(

Of course, there is TPC West but he's already played it.

I'm looking for a list of public options, price not being an issue, that is going to afford someone with discriminating gca taste a good time.  This is native Oregonian I'm talking about who goes to Bandon three times a year, has played the best Bend, OR has to offer, has played Arcadia Bluffs, Kingsley Club, We Ko Pa, Torrey Pines, Chambers Bay, TPC Scottsdale, Bay Harbor.....he knows good golf.

Please summarize your recommendation(s) with an explanation why it is a good course.....thanks everyone!!!

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Bob_Huntley

Re: Palm Springs Public Golf
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 02:37:46 PM »
Stay at home.

Bob

Mark Arata

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 02:41:20 PM »
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Matt_Ward

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:17:53 PM »
Michael:

Try Desert Willow / Firecliff Course in Palm Desert. Well done combo design from the hands of Fry, Hurdzan and John Cook. Appears more like a AZ course than one in the Palm Springs area.

Ditto Shadow Ridge from Marriott -- also in Palm Desert. Hats off to Schmidt / Curley w Nick Faldo assisting. Quality holes with some of the most impressive bunker complexes in the entire valley area.

If you need another option you can consider the Celebrity Course where the skins game was played.

I would stick with the first two choices though.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 04:30:26 PM »
Stay at home.

Bob

I live in the desert here Mr. Huntley and comments like that make it seem you don't have any respect for the desert.  It obviously isn't going to provide the best course, but the playing conditions out here are better than most anywhere in the world, so for someone that knows good golf they must respect that.

But for public golf I would recommend Desert Willow, Shadow ridge, Indian Wells Golf Resort (Players preferred), and PGA West Nick Tourney or Norman.  All are always in great condition, I know some here don't like Desert Dunes, but it’s not that bad of a golf course.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:35:55 PM by PFerlicca »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 05:48:58 PM »
What about LaQuinta Mountain Course?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 06:11:02 PM »
Stay at home.

Bob

I live in the desert here Mr. Huntley and comments like that make it seem you don't have any respect for the desert.  It obviously isn't going to provide the best course, but the playing conditions out here are better than most anywhere in the world, so for someone that knows good golf they must respect that.

As for where to play here, I’m here at Stone Eagle so if you want to pay some good money with a caddy, and is a member at another club we might be able to work something out now that we are entering the summer.  But for public golf I would recommend Desert Willow, Shadow ridge, Indian Wells Golf Resort (Players preferred), and PGA West Nick Tourney or Norman.  All are always in great condition, I know some here don't like Desert Dunes, but it’s not that bad of a golf course.

Mr.Ferlicca,

I am sorry if I offended you, it was quite unintentional as I have a genuine like of the desert. Many years ago I was a member at Ironwood and thought it a great layout and also rented a house during the SUMMER at La Quinta C.C,  so that the children could cavort in the pool the day long.

What I wrote was in context with his message, he spoke of Public Golf Courses. Your friend intimated that he has the open sesame to Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails, Arcadia Bluffs, the Kingsley Club, Chambers Bay, Pronghorn and host of other clubs near Bend. All but two, the Kingsley and Pronghorn are open to public play. You must confess that the selection at hand is superior to just about any of the public courses in the desert.

Bob

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 06:14:13 PM »
Stay at home.

Bob

As for where to play here, I’m here at Stone Eagle so if you want to pay some good money with a caddy, and is a member at another club we might be able to work something out now that we are entering the summer.  But for public golf I would recommend Desert Willow, Shadow ridge, Indian Wells Golf Resort (Players preferred), and PGA West Nick Tourney or Norman.  All are always in great condition, I know some here don't like Desert Dunes, but it’s not that bad of a golf course.

Mr.Ferlicca,

I am sorry if I offended you, it was quite unintentional as I have a genuine like of the desert. Many years ago I was a member at Ironwood and thought it a great layout and also rented a house during the SUMMER at La Quinta C.C,  so that the children could cavort in the pool the day long.

What I wrote was in context with his message, he spoke of Public Golf Courses. Your friend intimated that he has the open sesame to Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails, Arcadia Bluffs, the Kingsley Club, Chambers Bay, Pronghorn and host of other clubs near Bend. All but two, the Kingsley and Pronghorn are open to public play. You must confess that the selection at hand is superior to just about any of the public courses in the desert.

Bob

Oh I agree with you big time there, Public Golf here doesn't even come close to the private courses or the list that he said he played.  The courses aren't going to WOW you in any means, but I'll say it again the condition might be the best you will ever see.  I forgot about La Quinta Mountain, IMO they have a GREAT set of Par 5's.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 06:39:51 PM »
Michael,

I played Stone Eagle last year this week on a reciprocation.  We were only 1 of 4 groups that day and i even saw an ace on #7! (wasn't me).  Anyway, my point being that if your bud is a member of a private club, he should have his pro call the shop. It couldn't hurt.  Plus, SE had maybe the nicest staff that i've ever come across.  They made us feel like members for the day.  As i'm typing this i've decided maybe i should go play there again soon.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
PFerlicca:

To echo your point on the depth and quality of public golf in and around the Coachella Valley -- I would dare people would be better served playing within that immediate region than searching for a public course options in its totality in such states as New York and Pennsy or even the individual states of New England.

No doubt the lst of public courses mentioned initially by Michael D are uniformly exceptional but that doesn't mean the ones in and around Palm Springs are nothing more than filler. They are not -- at least in my mind and through the travels I have made.

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 07:06:24 PM »
Michael,

I played Stone Eagle last year this week on a reciprocation.  We were only 1 of 4 groups that day and i even saw an ace on #7! (wasn't me).  Anyway, my point being that if your bud is a member of a private club, he should have his pro call the shop. It couldn't hurt.  Plus, SE had maybe the nicest staff that i've ever come across.  They made us feel like members for the day.  As i'm typing this i've decided maybe i should go play there again soon.

Thank you Jonathan, we really try to make sure that everyone has a good time when they come to stone eagle, member or guest.  Unlike some private clubs out here that treat guests like they are homeless people (The Quarry). 

Matt Ward, IMO I love the public golf out here, my best friend works as the assistant at Indian Wells Golf Resort, and I play there ALL THE TIME, two fantastic golf courses that are completely different from each other.  You have quite a good variety of public golf here.  Desert Willow gives you the Arizona feel, Indian Wells Golf Resort has the flower, waterfall, Augusta white bunkers on the celebrity, and then the long, tough, raised greens, big bold bunkers on the players course, Shadowridge has awesome par 4s with a lot of center bunkers, and almost feels like an Australia course with all the big grassed dunes, and La Quinta Mountain is Pete Dye at his best right up against the mountain.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 08:36:48 PM by PFerlicca »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 07:13:39 PM »
Keep 'em comin' guys, I really appreciate all the input.

There is no better mass of opinions than that of gca'ers!

Does anyone know the name of the recently renovated Fought course???  I remember reading about it recently (Links Mag.) and they said a lot of good stuff about it.....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 07:26:25 PM »
Keep 'em comin' guys, I really appreciate all the input.

There is no better mass of opinions than that of gca'ers!

Does anyone know the name of the recently renovated Fought course???  I remember reading about it recently (Links Mag.) and they said a lot of good stuff about it.....

That is the Players Course at Indian Wells Golf Resort, I highly recommend this place, under one condition, they MUST be 15 handicap or better, if they aren't they will not enjoy the golf course.   It is very tough and seems to only accept high shots into the raised firm greens.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:49:19 PM »
Michael and PFerlicca,

How stupid of me to forget a few points in my previous post of why to play SE .......SE has the coolest driving range i've ever seen in a desert setting, the course vistas are incredible , possibly the best turf anywhere (seriously, it was a flush fest off that carpet),  very forgiving fairways off the tee, and maybe the best addition was the awesome SE chapsticks in the locker room.  I wish I would have grabbed tons of those things!

Bill Kubly

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:49:15 PM »
I know that not everyone loves it, but if the wind isn't blowing hard, I really believe that The Classic Club is a wonderful golf course.  It is on the north side of of I-10 at Cook street.  You can play it as tough as you want with the yardage differences and there are caddies there most of the time.  The Hope Classic was played here for three years, but due to the potential wind problems with a 5 day tournament at 4 different courses, it is off of the rotation for the time being. 

Stone Eagle has had a tough year financially, so a call to them expressing some interest in their project could get you on the course.  Most of their members are gone for the year.  It is a great experience on an unbelievable site.  Most of the good private clubs in this market would require you to play with a member or staff member.

All of the courses in this market are still in good condition at this time of the year.  Most courses also have great pricing right now as the season is pretty much over.

astavrides

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 06:21:59 AM »
I know that not everyone loves it, but if the wind isn't blowing hard, I really believe that The Classic Club is a wonderful golf course.  It is on the north side of of I-10 at Cook street.  You can play it as tough as you want with the yardage differences and there are caddies there most of the time.  The Hope Classic was played here for three years, but due to the potential wind problems with a 5 day tournament at 4 different courses, it is off of the rotation for the time being. 

Stone Eagle has had a tough year financially, so a call to them expressing some interest in their project could get you on the course.  Most of their members are gone for the year.  It is a great experience on an unbelievable site.  Most of the good private clubs in this market would require you to play with a member or staff member.

All of the courses in this market are still in good condition at this time of the year.  Most courses also have great pricing right now as the season is pretty much over.

I liked the classic club too.

Jason Topp

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »
A thread from a trip I took a couple of years ago:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,31441.0.html

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 12:30:22 PM »
The old Landmark Golf Club, now Terra Lago (Land Lake?) used to be very enjoyable. I haven't been there for 5 years, but both courses were really excellent and the green fees are modest by desert standards - max out at $100. Anyone been there recently?

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 01:42:08 PM »
The old Landmark Golf Club, now Terra Lago (Land Lake?) used to be very enjoyable. I haven't been there for 5 years, but both courses were really excellent and the green fees are modest by desert standards - max out at $100. Anyone been there recently?

I played it a couple of years ago and liked it alot.  Some real creative holes.  It beat up some of the higher handicaps in our 16 person group.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 06:47:07 PM »
Guys:

The title of the thread is "Palm Spring Public Golf."

Those who throw places like Stone Eagle into the equation are mixing and matching different types of courses -- public and the private side.

Like I said previously, the overall Palm Springs area for public golf is much more diversified than when I first visited the area nearly 30 years ago. It's very good to the point in which any number of individual states wishes they had the depth of public golf you find there now.

TX Golf

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 04:48:25 AM »
I will be another to second making a trip out to Indio to play Terra Lago (previously landmark)... The south course is a touch tougher but I personally enjoy the north course a bit more.

A great handful of fun and creative holes, usually in GREAT shape, and as others have said at a very reasonable price... probably around $65-$70 this time of year.

Indio is only about 15 minutes east down the highway... I really think you have to get out there if you get the chance. Definitely one of the best values in the desert, while at the same time being one of my favorites.

Hope your buddy has fun.

Robert

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 08:49:09 AM »
Make the hour drive west to Riverside and play Oak Quarry. Well worth the trip!

Bill Kubly

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 08:50:21 AM »
Stone Eagle is certainly not a public course, but at this time of year, and with the slow season that they have had, I would certainly call and try to get on this course to "preview" it.  It would be more expensive than the others, but worth the price. Once this market picks up again it may be impossible to play without a member. It is worth a call.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 08:58:57 AM »
Stone Eagle is certainly not a public course, but at this time of year, and with the slow season that they have had, I would certainly call and try to get on this course to "preview" it.  It would be more expensive than the others, but worth the price. Once this market picks up again it may be impossible to play without a member. It is worth a call.

exactly  ;)

....or have your buddy go get pumped by pga west stadium.  If this were the late 80s, im sure pga west would have been mentioned tons by now!

Bill Kubly

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 09:04:23 AM »
By the way, they have adjusted the  PGA West, Stadium course and it is supposedly much more playable.  If you were like me, I said I would never play it again after my first experience many years ago.  Now that they have made these changes to the course I might give it another try.  They have also re-done the clubhouse and it is much more friendly place to have a brew......

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back