News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Hissey

Jim Urbina -- movie star
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:22:05 PM »
I don't know if any of you saw this weeks Golfweek. It shows our very own Jim Urbina in a still shot from a movie being filmed at Bandon.

Jim looks great.

PThomas

Re: Jim Urbina -- movie star
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 09:33:54 PM »
i saw that today too Mark.....Hollywood here he comes!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ken Fry

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 09:42:36 PM »
Might it be "Golf in the Kingdom?????"

Ben Sims

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 09:47:14 PM »
Ken,

On the nosy! :) I was up in Bandon three weeks ago and the entire cast and crew were assembling.  The guy that plays the character of Michael is none other than the same kid that played Dennis in Dennis the Menace opposite Walter Matthau back in the early 90's.  He was shadowing the actual Michael Murphy while we were there, and we had dinner with them at McKee's one night. 

Ken Fry

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 10:01:13 PM »
Ben,

Must have been fun having dinner with Michael Murphy and crew.  Many a fan of Shivas have been anxiously awaiting this movie!

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:14:15 PM »
Yeah it was fun Ken.  A day after I'd been to Sheep Ranch and Old Mac, I have dinner with that guy.  He had some amazing stories involving his time in Russia, forming his institute called Esalen in Big Sur.  A story of how Hunter S. Thompson was the caretaker of his family's property.  You honestly couldn't make up the stories he was sharing.  It was a night to remember for sure.

Ken Fry

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 11:17:21 PM »
Ben,

I know you began your own thread about OR vs. CA, but none the less, welcome to GCA.  This place is an eclectic gathering of golf architecture misfits.  I was turned on to this place 10 years ago by a bunker vagabond named Jeff Bradley and the rest has been history.  Good group of guys you want to meet in person if possible.  I'm looking forward to meeting more.

Michael Murphy touched an esoteric cord with many golfers years ago.  I understand you when you say his stories were beyond belief.

Enjoy your time on GCA.  It certainly gets interesting at times.

Ken

Ben Sims

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 11:31:59 PM »
Ken,

Who's Jeff Bradley ;) All kidding aside, it was that conversation with Mr. Murphy that drove me to finally stop being a "sideliner" and get in the fight.  The last 30 days of my golfing life have been unbelievable.  If you would have told me three weeks ago that I'd be able to try and keep up with the likes of Mike Young, George Bahto, Tom Doak when talking about subjects that are as far over my head as the Marianas Trench, then I'd say "let's party cause you're crazy dude." 

If the main goal of life is the pursuit of sublime and enlightening moments, then sharing and helping other to have the moments as well; then I've arrived.  The last few days have been simply surreal.

Ken Fry

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 11:44:59 PM »
Ben,

I'll say without reservation Jeff Bradley is a damn genius with a backhoe.  Hell of a rocker too. There is a fuzzy night of Ted Nugent in my memory but my ears are still ringing.

Hell of a lot of expertise around here too.  10 years and I have how many posts??  I finally learned I need to shut up sometimes to learn a few things.  My wife would vehemently disagree.

Ken

Ben Sims

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 11:52:19 PM »
Ken,

What his secret?  Does he pre-plant by hydroseeding then come in and cut edges with equipment or by hand?  Yeah, I think his work speaks for itself, especially at Trails.

Yeah i should probably pipe down too, but it's not my nature.  Type A pilot jock, what can I say?

Ken Fry

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 11:57:38 PM »
Cool thing about Bradley?  Bill Coore would say, "Put a bunker here" and just trust that Bradley knew exactly what he wanted to see.  Damn if it wasn't what he wanted to see.  Very cool thing to see happen.

Ken

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 12:03:01 AM »
Just did some research.  He's got his own website.  Now that's rockstar.

www.bunkerguru.com

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 07:25:02 PM »
I can tell they are making progress on the movie. My 1st edition Golf in the Kingdom glows with a blue aura at night.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »
Ken,

On the nosy! :) I was up in Bandon three weeks ago and the entire cast and crew were assembling.  The guy that plays the character of Michael is none other than the same kid that played Dennis in Dennis the Menace opposite Walter Matthau back in the early 90's.  He was shadowing the actual Michael Murphy while we were there, and we had dinner with them at McKee's one night. 

The same kid was in another golf movie a few years ago, called "A Gentleman's Game" based on a novel by Tom Coyne based on his experience growing up at a club in the Philly area.
H.P.S.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:03:07 AM »
Do you think the movie will be as boring as the book? Oh well, at least there should be some great views of Oregon coast in it.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Ken Fry

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »
Garland,

Boring book??  Bite thy tongue....

Ken

Mark Smolens

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »
Ken, the GITK crowd doesn't get a lot of love here on gca.  Oh well, I guess that's why they make golf courses with cart paths too!

Michael M is a fascinating guy.  Hoping he makes it up to Erin Hills for the SIS event this summer -- Steve Cohen told me last year that he was working on it.  I'm trying to clear that weekend for a return visit with the group.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 09:16:56 PM »
Ken,

Anything that entertains Dave Schmidt can't be that good!
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Will Smith

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 01:36:56 AM »
For more video of Jim Urbina see:

http://punchbowlgolf.com/2009/04/jim-urbina-old-mac-part-two/

I have one more video of Jim to release in the near future.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back