News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Shennecossett Golf Course, Groton, CT (Donald Ross)
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2009, 09:06:04 AM »
CT doesn't get much love for its wealth of great courses on this board (certainly not too undeserved), but few states have a much better set of three municipal courses than CT with Wintonbury Hills, Richter Park, and Shennecossett.
Tim-
No love for Simsbury Farms????  (Just kidding, of course -- it's a good muni, and a great place to have grown up playing golf, but it's not in the same league with these others.)

Ed Oden

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2009, 03:35:36 PM »
I noticed this on ebay while looking for something else and thought I would post a link just in case someone might be interested...

http://cgi.ebay.com/SHENNECOSSETT-GOLF-CLUB-HISTORY-BOOK-DONALD-ROSS-COURSE_W0QQitemZ230381650020QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item35a3d10064&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »
Played it this afternoon on the way to Boston for work. $25 to walk it in the wind and Eric must have kept the rain away for me. The greens are in great shape and I really like the 3 new holes along the water.

Eric,

It was a quick pit stop so I did not have time to seek you out. Place looked great, perhaps we can get a couple groups out there in the future.

Thanks

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 10:34:33 PM »
Nice to see the thread brought back up!

Shennecossett is the reason why I have played golf in every month of the year in CT.  If grass is visible, they usually stay open with pins in the greens but tee boxes.  Perhaps a New Years Day GCA mini-outing?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark McKeever

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 08:34:45 AM »
The pictures look great!  I feel like this one should be added to my list now.  Some very cool features.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Nick Campanelli

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2010, 08:59:32 AM »
Mike, I played there last weekend.  Drove from Boston.  Always worth a trip to play this course.  Short, but alot of fun.  When the wind is up, and it was, this can be a tough course.  I agree that the new holes on the water added to the quality of the round.  You have to love a course where railroad tracks are in play!

I took about 100 pictures from the round.  I will try to post a supplement review to this one sometime this week.  
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:05:15 AM by Nick Campanelli »
Landscape Architect  //  Golf Course Architect

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2010, 09:55:53 AM »
Nice to see the thread brought back up!

Shennecossett is the reason why I have played golf in every month of the year in CT.  If grass is visible, they usually stay open with pins in the greens but tee boxes.  Perhaps a New Years Day GCA mini-outing?

Tim- Great pictures. I too have been able to play every month of the year because of Shenny. The #4 par three "anthill" hole is one of the toughest any where. A three on this hole is an automatic winner in match play. Although not Ross holes the 15,16, and 17 are a worthy substitute in an awesome setting. For a Ross trifecta you can play Shenny in Groton, Ct, Winnepaug in Westerly, R. I. and Triggs Memorial in Providence R.I. All three open to the public within an hour`s ride. :)

Brad Tufts

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2010, 10:10:21 AM »
Hey Tim(s),

How's Winnapaug?

Any Ross or Ross-ishness left there?

I've been by it a few times, but never had a few hours to check it out.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2010, 11:00:59 AM »
I have not played Winnapaug myself, but will at some point, I am sure.  I am pretty sure there's a substantial amount of Ross' work left at Triggs, which is also a treat to play.

And for anyone looking to play more than 18 holes on one of those balmy 45 degree January days, check out Fenwick GC in the Village of Fenwick (part of Old Saybrook, I believe).  A marvelous little nine-hole course that Anthony Pioppi profiles in To the Nines.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John Ronalter

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 08:40:31 PM »
I played Shenny two summers ago and Winnapaug this summer.  They are similar courses, but Shenny is substantially more open than Winnapaug.  Ross' influence is much more evident at Shenny, but Winnapaug is definitely an interesting course with good variety.  It does need some cleanup work though.  They use large bushes in the rough for yardage markers, which are very obnoxious.  I would rather play there though than many of the public options in central CT.  Both courses are a lot of fun and definitely worth it for the price, not to mention the scenery.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back