News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: Ireland Virgin
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 07:56:27 PM »
Jim T. -

One more suggestion.....be sure to bring a knit stocking hat along in your golf bag. If you run into a cold and/or windy day (and I am guessing you might), you will be very glad if you have one handy.

DT

J_ Crisham

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »
Jim,

David Tepper has some of the important information but no matter what, never stay in any B&B or accommodation that doesn't have..... a clothes dryer. It is the most useful appliance to have in Ireland.

So true.  The best hostess we had immediately offered to throw our clothes in the dryer and pour us a glass of whiskey after a really wet day at Tralee.

Have a blast.  That is a great line up.
I remember it as though it were yesterday! Hard to believe it was almost 5 yrs ago! I left a very pregnant wife at home to join in the journey.My advice when renting a car is insist on an automatic transmission! And always stay left, stay left, and beware the roundabouts. Have fun,  Jack

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 08:31:26 PM »
Jim,

David Tepper has some of the important information but no matter what, never stay in any B&B or accommodation that doesn't have..... a clothes dryer. It is the most useful appliance to have in Ireland.

So true.  The best hostess we had immediately offered to throw our clothes in the dryer and pour us a glass of whiskey after a really wet day at Tralee.

Have a blast.  That is a great line up.
I remember it as though it were yesterday! Hard to believe it was almost 5 yrs ago! I left a very pregnant wife at home to join in the journey.My advice when renting a car is insist on an automatic transmission! And always stay left, stay left, and beware the roundabouts. Have fun,  Jack

There is a lot to be said for staying in local B&B's to add to the experience.  I would definitely skip the hotels in favor of B&B lodging.  If I remember right I don't think we had a reservation anywhere during the trip.  Just keep your eyes out for a nice looking place with vacancy and call it a night.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 08:44:19 PM »
Jim,

Know we talked and I sent you some pm's but just wanted to reiterate some things from my expierence there last aug. Most important is a good rainsuit and should be priority number 1 along with good waterproof shoes. The driving was not bad at all in my opinion but leave time for sightseeing along the way, I must have stopped dozens of times along the way to the golf course. Trust me. In lahinch the chinese rest attached to the golf and leisure hotel was not bad but I had good food in the shamrock, lamb was on the money and at the time it seemed where the golfers flocked. The first bar on your left on main st (white blue on outside) was also good place to meet some fellow golfers and have a pint. Sad but it's not much of a golf town anymore. The vaughn lodge also had good food but solo it was a tad uncomfortable. I hope you get better weather there than I did and enjoy lahinch it's  a blast . I also like to add you scored going this year, you don't even want to know what I paid last year . I still say skip old head but at least you can say you did it. Doonbeg is better than some admit and from what I hear it gets better every year. You need anything else or lost the email pm me glad to help you where I can.

Have a blast

Brad

Oh ps take the ferry to bally from lahinch save at least an hour, the drive is through the boonies of Ireland but I only got lost for 5 min, keep an eye out for the ship sign and look to your right when you see water so you don't miss it like I did ;)    I also echo mikes thoughts on coynes book, it was not done when I went but golf magazine had his blog and I found some of it usefull.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:56:23 PM by Brad Fleischer »

Jon Nolan

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 09:25:23 PM »
I disagree about the automatic tranny.  Get a stick and go for the hole shots like everyone else.

Be careful of the Eastern Europeans.  It's not right for me to lump them all as bad news but better safe than sorry.  They drink hard and get fookin' crazy after dark.

Follow the crowds after last call for the best chipper in town.  Look for Mike's in Killarney if you stay there.    Always get the one piece cod.

Harp sucks.  If you're not a stout drinker go with the Carlsburg. 

Full Irish fry every day.  Mmmmmmmmm.

The weather on the west coast can change nine times before lunch.  Trust all the advice you're getting about being prepared.  You WILL need it in your bag - no matter what it is - at least once.

Friendliest people in the world.  You gots to have a sense of humor though.

Practice your 3/4 knock down.  You'll use it a thousand times.

Enjoy.  What a fabulous schedule.

P.S.  Dublin airport blows.  Leave yourself plenty of time and make sure you work things out ahead of time or you'll end up the last guy in a really, really long immigration line.  Do you need the pink form or the yellow form?  Who knows.  Get it sorted and ask questions if you're unsure.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:30:38 PM by Jon Nolan »

Simon Kofoed

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2009, 12:49:17 AM »
Jim

you are going to love it. I did a similar trip in June-jul 07 but spent time in the north west and never got to the south. I'm going back in June this year to do it all again and more.

If you are driving yourself around the country (especially by yourself), get a serious road map - you'll need it. Following signs, with no navigator you will miss turnoffs and sometimes it can be many miles before you can turn around.
If you are planning on driving from Portrush to Lahinch in a day, it will take you all day.

If you are driving anywhere on 12 July allow for plenty of extra time, it is a significant day for Protestant vs Catholic and there are massive delays on the roads (at least was for me driving from Republic into Nth Ireland 2 years ago)

Talk to the locals and don't get dispondent with the rain, it is just another challenge

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2009, 02:03:08 AM »
In lahinch .... Sad but it's not much of a golf town anymore.

Brad most golf books quote the cliche "The St  Andrews of Ireland".  In 2007 I couldn't see any reason for it apart forom the obvious, the course being right in town.  What's been lost?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 02:07:55 AM »
Whats all this talk about a rain suit?  I don't even own a rain suit!  I use an old pair of fishing trousers, a sleeveless rain stopper and a wooly jumper.  I hate the rain and won't go out if its tipping down, which translates to two cancelled days of golf in 15 tours of GB&I and countless 1-2 nighters in all seasons.  Either I have been extraordinarily lucky or you lot grossly exaggerate bad weather.  Which wouldn't surprise me considering how often I hear claims of playing in 30-40 mph winds!  

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

James Boon

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 04:13:19 AM »
Jim,

I wouldn't say a waterproof is any more important in Ireland than when playing anywehre else to be honest? I was there for 2 weeks a couple of years ago and all I got was sunburn! And if the weather is that bad I'm with Sean, get yourself a Guiness and a good golf book and find a seat by a log fire...

My main tip is regarding driving as in the ROI I found that planty of the roads were full of pot holes and everyone drove really slowly, so every journey takes much longer than expected!

Lastly, I always plan any trip based upon my liklihood of ever returning to a place. If you think this will be your one and only trip to Ireland then I agree with Anthony that the Giant's Causeway is a must see while you are at Portrush (though I don't agree with him on Ardglass, apart from a few awesome holes, its overrated).

And as everyone else has said, ENJOY!

Cheers, James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Donal Breasail

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 05:49:45 AM »
You might find my friend Tom Coyne's new book "A Course Called Ireland" helpful and fun to read.

I second this recommendation ,easily one of the best golf books i have ever bought and a must before heading on an Irish golf trip for a virgin.

Jim Tang

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 08:53:11 AM »
Again, thanks to all who have replied.  There is some excellent information I can use here.  I suspect, once I've seen Ireland and played the courses there, I will never be the same.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 10:22:53 AM »
If I had time to do only (about) half of Jim's itinerary, and preferred sleeping in only one place, what's my best option?  Stay near RCD/Portrush?

Doug Wright

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 10:42:37 AM »
If I had time to do only (about) half of Jim's itinerary, and preferred sleeping in only one place, what's my best option?  Stay near RCD/Portrush?

Carl that's a good question. If you don't mind doing a little driving I'd say Killarney. On one trip that was our base for the Kerry area--Waterville, Dooks, Ballybunion, the Killarney courses were all easily reachable from there, probably Old Head too though we didn't bother.

Re RCD there really are only two courses in that area, RCD and Ardglass. Portrush is a decent option since there are the two Portrush courses, Castlerock and Portstewart within a short drive of each other. You can also do a day trip to Ballyliffin from there.

Last, the north Dublin area is very good if you need a base. Portmarnock/Portmarnock Links, The Island, Blatray and others are easily accessible.

IM me if you'd like to see our itinerary from last fall. It's not as expansive as Jim's. He's got a lot of driving to do!
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Gary Slatter

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
Enjoy the trip, looks great.  Last week I played RCD and it was great, to me it is the toughest test of links golf, mainly due to it's average length.  Superb in every way, even the two holes considered to be poor are good fun (16 and 17).  We stayed in Slieve Donard Hotel (50 yards from RCD) and it was good. Ardglass is close by too.

In Dublin try Restaurant PATRICK GUILBAUD, 2 star Michelin. When you consider what we pay for golf this restaurant is a good deal and we had the best meal ever!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

ClarkW

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »
I'll also recommend Tom Coyne's book; however, it might be even better to read it AFTER you return. Since Coyne walked around the country it probably doesn't offer that much advice for a first timer. Maybe more enjoyable to read later and relive your experiences.

I hope that your opening round at Royal County Down doesn't spoil you for the rest of the trip. RCD is truly the best course I've ever played; however, the food and selection of restaurants in Newcastle is abysmal. It will improve throughout the rest of your trip!

Currently, there are some tremendous deals in airfares, lodging and greens fees throughout Ireland. I'm not sure whether your courses are already set in stone but there are a couple of particularly good deals that I've seen recently:

--2 for 1 greens fees at Ballybunion Old and Cashen if played within a 7 day period;
--bundled and reduced greens fees for Ballybunion (Old), Tralee and Waterville; and
--reduced greens fees and lodging for two rounds/two nights at Ballyliffin.

Lahinch-- consider staying at Lahinch Golf & Leisure Hotel. Easy walk to the course. Particularly good food and friendly pub in the Marine Hotel right along the main drag in town.

Waterville-- stay and enjoy the coziness and views from the upstairs clubhouse bar. On your way home, stop at Nick's in Killorglin for a wonderful meal and great piano bar/restaurant... which brings up another extremely important point. Be VERY VERY careful drinking and driving. In fact, just DON'T do it. The laws are very strict. Plus the roads and directions are tough enough already!?

Finally, enjoy Kinsale. I think it's the nicest town in Ireland. Picturesque harbor town (stay with Maeve at the Blindgate House) with excellent restaurants (Toddy's, Man Friday, and Jim Edwards just to name a few). Plus the food at the Old Head clubhouse is excellent also!).

Enjoy! I'm jealous...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »
Doug:
How far is Portrush from RCD?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 07:13:16 PM »
Carl

Portrush to Newcastle would take in the region of two hours.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Cristian

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2009, 07:53:44 PM »
Jim,

In Kerry (Dooks+Waterville) stay at Carrig House (Excellent Food) or Ard na Sidhe Hotel, both near Killarney and close to Dooks, great food and value. Try the inland road to Waterville, it's amazing, but skip it if you get travel sickness easily!

If you have the chance play the old course at Ballyliffin in the north. Old fashioned links golf at its purest.

As said before: At RPR do not skip the Valley course.

Look out with distance markers: In Northern Ireland they are all yards, but in the republic they are mostly meters, except some, often American owned which have yards also; check before you play!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 08:34:01 PM by Cristian Willaert »

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2009, 12:49:47 AM »
In lahinch .... Sad but it's not much of a golf town anymore.

Brad most golf books quote the cliche "The St  Andrews of Ireland".  In 2007 I couldn't see any reason for it apart forom the obvious, the course being right in town.  What's been lost?

Tony,

I had always heard the stories of the pubs and people being golf golf golf yes that included tourists but also locals. Here's my take and a brief rundown I got from an american member with who I had the privilege of playing with. Basically the town is now a young surfer type town. They even invited him to a council meeting of the locals to try and come up with some solutions to what they considered problems. From what he said there having a big problem with the youth there. I had no problems but that could have also been my age 33 but in truth I do look 27 ;). There where def more surfer type and young people in the majority of the bars and golf seemed to be the furthest thing from anyones mind and not much conversation about golf was provided. There where a few spots and when the golf tour bus rolled in you got that crowd  but The 4 days I was there it was hard finding a golfer crowd so to speak. I found that it was just harder than I thought it would be. The gentleman also told me which bars I should not go into. He and his wife also have a house that you can see from the course and she was telling me the town just doesn't feel the way it used to. Again this is second hand info but it was not what I was expecting so to speak. He had more to say but i'll leave it at that. Regardless I had no problems at all while there and enjoyed it immensely. I did stay away from a bar or two outside of town but in town I went into each one with no problems.

So I hope that answers your question. Oh I also left out the reason I had different expectations, friends and family have been there on multiple occasions going back many years so I have heard numerous wonderfull stories about how it was a great small golf town etc etc. So I guess it just has changed a tad in that regard.

Regardless my time there was a blast and would go back in a heartbeat.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:52:57 AM by Brad Fleischer »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2009, 01:20:25 AM »
Thanks Brad.

Yes it's impossible to miss the Surfer Vibe. No hostility, but no one asking if it was it you first game...

Still you can't miss something you never enjoyed. What a great place and whatever happened to the hole by hole tour?  More please.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2009, 11:36:24 AM »
Carl

Portrush to Newcastle would take in the region of two hours.

It's a very easy drive too.  There's a bit longer but very scenic drive that takes you around the northeast corner of Ireland, and takes you past the Dunluce castle and the Giant's Causeway, by the Bushmill's Inn, on your way into Portrush.  You can do that by going straight north from Ardglass/Newcastle rather than inland near Belfast where you also stand a good chance of getting hung up in traffic.  That was a lovely drive which we actually did in the opposite direction on our way from Castlerock back to Belfast for the return flight home.

You can get the sightseeing in quickly by touring Dunluce Castle (from which you can see the clifftop holes on Royal Portrush Dunluce course!) and the Giant's Causeway in about 90 minutes all told.  Both are great attractions and worth the time.

Jim Colton

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2009, 08:47:26 AM »
GCA'er Jim Tang is currently in Ireland. He's blogging about his trip if you're interested. Just don't judge his relationship with his headcover.

http://Http://vagabondgolfer.blogspot.com

Mark Smolens

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »
July 14 fly to Chicago, July 17 Ballyneal?  Not sure if there shouldn't be another flight in there somewhere  ;)

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
Thanks for the link Jim.

Regarding RCD:

"What would that course be like if the wind was up and you played it all the way back? It would be like my marriage; a total nightmare."

That's just funny.

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Keep a small plastic trash bag in your golf bag. It can hold your camera when it starts to rain.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back