News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: KP 2009 - Photos
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »
The more I think of it, it looks like it might be David Ober. He is visualizing the cut driver he would hit to the pin.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »

What a bunch - let the next photo show what they got up to later that night.  Could you trust their scorecards? A real wild bunch of ....

PS Is the Gold for a collection to purchase new carts and electronic aids for BUDA later this year?

Also would you trust your daughter let alone your wife with these guys?

I think the range of pictures gives rise to my concern for the state of the game in America ;) :D

Great photos

Melvyn

Kalen Braley

« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2009, 06:02:52 PM »
Melyvn,

We expect you will be coming over next year for KP.  You have an entire year to plan, so start making those arrangements!!  ;D

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2009, 06:13:32 PM »
The more I think of it, it looks like it might be David Ober. He is visualizing the cut driver he would hit to the pin.

Ding!  Ding!  We have a winner...  ;D
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Garland Bayley

« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2009, 06:15:24 PM »
Melvyn,

No one has stepped forward to organize KP next year. If you can find some NorCal courses that require walking, you might just be the one to do it.

These guys hated two-ball foursomes. You can really indoctrinate them on the proper way to do things by keeping it all walking, all two-ball (twosome or foursome), and put a clock on the players.
 ;D
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2009, 06:18:59 PM »
Melvyn,

No one has stepped forward to organize KP next year. If you can find some NorCal courses that require walking, you might just be the one to do it.

These guys hated two-ball foursomes. You can really indoctrinate them on the proper way to do things by keeping it all walking, all two-ball (twosome or foursome), and put a clock on the players.
 ;D

Garland:  PATIENCE.
We have a year. But the wheels are in motion already.

However.. it pains me to read that the guys hated foursomes.  Really?  That sucks.

Guess they better get over it though because if I have any input or say - and I seemingly always do - it's gonna be nothing but strange formats next year....

;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2009, 06:30:02 PM »
However.. it pains me to read that the guys hated foursomes.  Really?  That sucks.

Perhaps I overgeneralize. Especially since the research shows that 7 dissatisfied customers will tell you so to every one satisfied customer that will tell you so. I only heard two complaints, but no one who said they liked it.

Perhaps Melvyn could straighten us out with a BUDA West at Chambers Bay.

Tom Yost

« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2009, 06:41:07 PM »

Guess they better get over it though because if I have any input or say - and I seemingly always do - it's gonna be nothing but strange formats next year....

;D

My first experience with the foursome format at the KP this year.  I most definitely did not hate it, nor did I hear anyone else say they hated it...  For most it is a new experience and along with that, some trepidation.   I think it did work well for a 36-hole day and I would be interested to try it again.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2009, 06:55:14 PM »

The Lost Hole Photo

The question 
How many North American players does it required to place a Tee in place? ???

Answer
Just one, but the other twelve are all willing to make suggestions, including one I believe thinking of making the first ever mobile Tee with wheels and  linked to the cart and its GPS system. Another wants some input from Merion before making any comment. Another said he liked two sugars with his Tea. :o

Although looking at the photo I think no one has any idea what he is doing on the golf course – expect they are waiting for Scottish golfer to explain the REAL game and its Rules. Guys, you look like a bunch of lost sheep.
 ;)

Melvyn

Garland Bayley

« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2009, 07:06:41 PM »

Ding!  Ding!  We have a winner...  ;D

Not only did I get that right, but David would win the hole with his driver over Jordan's six iron.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2009, 07:07:57 PM »

The Lost Hole Photo

The question 
How many North American players does it required to place a Tee in place? ???

Answer
Just one, but the other twelve are all willing to make suggestions, including one I believe thinking of making the first ever mobile Tee with wheels and  linked to the cart and its GPS system. Another wants some input from Merion before making any comment. Another said he liked two sugars with his Tea. :o

Although looking at the photo I think no one has any idea what he is doing on the golf course – expect they are waiting for Scottish golfer to explain the REAL game and its Rules. Guys, you look like a bunch of lost sheep.
 ;)

Melvyn

Dang you're good Melvyn. You only missed that I asked for only one (not two) sugar with my tea.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2009, 07:10:30 PM »
Saturday afternoon at Soule Park:

Stamm fires one over the chasm on #7

LOOK AT THIS FINISH.  IS THIS GUY ON THE TOUR?  I BET HE PLAYS HOGAN CLUBS.

Table 2 had to appoint a committee to figure out the tab  (prix fixe menu by the way...)

FIGURING OUT THE TAB DIFFICULT?  SOMEONE AT OUR TABLE (NO SERIOUS FACES THERE) TOLD ME TO TOSS IN $60 AND THAT WAS THAT.
[/quote]

No problem with playing foursomes.  It may have worked better at a less demanding course.  A modified alternate shot with both players teeing off, choosing one ball, and alternating thereafter might work better.  A twist on this might be to require a minimum number of tee shots, say five or six, from each player.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »

;D

My first experience with the foursome format at the KP this year.  I most definitely did not hate it, nor did I hear anyone else say they hated it...  For most it is a new experience and along with that, some trepidation.   I think it did work well for a 36-hole day and I would be interested to try it again.

I actually think the foursome with teams was rather fun, but only if the teams were somewhat balanced.  The only thing I would have suggested would have been to explain up front to everyone before the games started how the dots on the cards worked and who got how many and why.  I believe it was explained on GCA itself ... but I didn't catch it or missed it.

Otherwise, I prefer this "every hole" counts team match play fourball concept.  Bragging rights on every hole  ;D .

course architect

Scott Henderson

« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2009, 07:30:27 PM »
Lots of great pictures, but the best lines I heard all weekend were when Evan and our forecaddy (Chad) were discussing his and Ross's putts on hole #4 (our 15th) during their singles match:

Chad: 'You don't have to put it in, just get close."
Evan: 'He is long but not hard."

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2009, 07:32:12 PM »
Lots of great pictures, but the best lines I heard all weekend were when Evan and our forecaddy (Chad) were discussing his and Ross's putts on hole #4 (our 15th) during their singles match:

Or Tommy at the end of the 8th hole at Rustic:

"We're officially fucked..."

course architect

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2009, 11:26:33 PM »

I think maybe next time I'll think before I open up my big fat mouth...  ::)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tom Yost

« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »
A few from Sunday's windy round at Rustic Canyon:

Kyle Henderson busts one on #2

Bunkering on #3

David Ober demonstrates his uber drive on #11

Team Ober-Yost

#14 from behind showing the treacherous pin placement

Looking down on the par 3 15th from the 16th tee

Par 4 16th from the tee

Robert Ball checks the scores

Tom Yost

Re: KP 2009 - Photos New
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »
Some pics from Monday's rounds at Sherwood.  Thanks to Peter Wagner for this wonderful day!

Tee shot on th 6th with gorgeous backdrop

Tommy lets one fly on the par 3 8th

Richard Choi watches his tee shot on #9

Par 4 16th from the tee

Smooth swinging Pete Lavellee

Clubhouse overlooks the finishing hole

Channeling my inner Wang by demonstrating no country club photo tour is complete without a pic of the parking lot  ;D

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:11:46 PM by Tom Yost »

Tom Yost

« Reply #118 on: April 25, 2009, 12:11:45 PM »
Sorry it took so long to get these pics put up...  I had to edit out all the golf carts, GPS/laser rangefinders and cheater lines.   ;)

One final shot showing you never know what you are going to encounter when visiting Southern California.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 12:47:03 PM by Tom Yost »

Tom Yost

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2009, 12:48:28 PM »
A Monday morning bump for the folks reading GCA at work...   ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back