News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

If you could get on site directions, a working plan, a raw routing, a concept design for a hole, or a proposed sketch done by the architect. Would you want this? If something like that came up for charitable auction, would that be something you would purchase.

This is approximately the level of sketch

The reason I ask this question is I got approached by Ronald McDonald House in Saskatoon. They are having a charity event at a course where I just added nine holes. I was asked if I would contribute something unique for the charity auction to be held after the golf tournament.

I keep most things that I do and still have the raw routing plans (with all their crazy lines and alternatives), the hole concept plans for each hole in rough form (angles, alternative lines of play, bunker concepts, etc.), the final full concept for holes in pencil, and in a few cases rough sketches of the proposed hole. What I was considering was talking out an individual hole and offering a raw, to concept, to final to sketch vignette of how the hole evolved.

Is this an interesting idea for an auction?

Since you guys are the most likely people to want something like this – albeit from real designer ;D – would you look to buy something like this in an auction?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:14:51 AM by Ian Andrew »

Eric Smith

Re: Would you buy a Living Architect’s Sketches or Originals?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 11:34:25 AM »
Yes most definitely Ian.  Especially if it's for a worthy cause.  Who the architect is may bring the buyer to the table, but the cause is the closer for me.

p.s. Best to you in your new venture.

Eric

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 11:41:46 AM »
Ian,
A day playing golf with you, with a drawing of one of the holes as a remembrance, could bring in some serious cash. My wife started and then ran several auctions for schools in our area, and the offerings with the 'personal' touch always brought the highest bids.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 12:52:19 PM »
I'm surprised that selling or donating drawings and plans isn't more common.  If they are good drawings, and represent the time and talent of an architect in an artful way, I'd say they are valuable whether the archie is this side or under the green sod.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Norbert P

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »
 Be sure to sign them Ian.   Mucho loonies! for Ian originals.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 01:54:56 PM »
Ian,
A day playing golf with you, with a drawing of one of the holes as a remembrance, could bring in some serious cash. My wife started and then ran several auctions for schools in our area, and the offerings with the 'personal' touch always brought the highest bids.

Jim,

I never thought of the playing part. That's a great idea since I'll be there for a couple of days when they open the nine.

Thanks for the idea.

Ian

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »
Ian,

I have oft suggested ASGCA foundation do that as a fundraiser, with each of us contributing some original drawings, signed.  So far, they don't agree it would be a great idea.

Of course, in my case, I would need Mom to bid up the price, or I might end up paying to have someone take my drawings......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Scott Witter

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »
Ian:

I think this is a great idea and I would buy something like this from architects that I admire for design work and for their ability to express their ideas--you fulfill that requirement in my book ;) as do many others who post here and many of those that don't as well.  To be honest with you, it doesn't have to be an 'architect' it could be from anyone in the industry who has the talent and passion to document and creatively/effectively communicate their ideas--I find this to be such a unique ability.

One of my hobbies is researching and finding all types of hand graphics from old and dead guy architects :D  I personally take a lot of pride in all of my drawings and hope someday that someone will find them interesting enough to acquire.

And hey, if this is for some form of charity then I am certainly all for it.  One never knows what people find valuable...but if it generates money for the cause, then why not?  I like Jeff Brauer's suggestion and find it odd that the ASGCA don't agree with him.

I hope this works out for you and the Ronald McDonald House

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
Most definitely. I think a stand alone drawing like the one shown is probably best for the general public. Crazies like us would be more interested in the hole evolution you describe I would think.

Jeff,
    The ASGCA is wrong on this one.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 04:29:31 PM »
You should do it....
Especially if they are done by hand.....I don't know about computer work.....
I know that I rarely keep any drawings except for asbuilts so that no one comes along and says this is what he really wanted to put here.  But a few yerars back I was throwing stuff out and a friend of mine wife asked for some of the drawings....she reduced the size and made him a set of prints for his office....they just didn't know any better ;D ;D ;D ;D
But what do you think Jeff would pay us to buy his drawings?  I can be had ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Robert Thompson

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 05:57:58 PM »
I've played golf with Ian many a time -- the bidder would be better off with the sketch and at least will come away unharmed.

No seriously, I'd suggest you play with the bidder Ian -- most people never get to play with a designer in their lifetime.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Derek Dirksen

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 07:02:25 PM »
Great idea Ian!

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 08:24:14 PM »
i think its a great idea too...cant believe the ASGCA doesnt!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 09:56:55 PM »
In the art world, the value of the work usually goes up if the artist is dead.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 10:33:51 PM »
I'd buy for decoration or sentiment if I really liked the work.  As such, I might pay $100 to $200.   Helping a favorite charity might come into play, but not if I didn't like the work.  I'd never buy for investment.

John Foley

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 08:08:51 AM »
Absolutely - This is a great idea.

I am suprised you don't see  it more often. Gievn that it's for a wonderful charity all the better.
Integrity in the moment of choice

paul cowley

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 09:54:16 AM »
For the first 25 years of my designing career I hand drew everything, and these drawings were either used for presentation or for blueprint originals.

The past 10 tears or so I have only been doing drawings that are sufficient for a CAD operator to copy and then become part of the computer originals......times have changed dramatically in recent history and my drawing ability has probably diminished as well, but if the truth be told  I have always enjoyed the conceptual drawing phase the most anyway [which is what I still do]....as this is where the design is developed, as opposed to the more exacting and time consuming process of creating the final versions of working drawings or presentation pieces.

That being said, I moved and downsized my office a couple of years ago and in the process threw out about 25 years of old stuff that was nostalgically fun to go through at first but became tiresome soon after.....I just ditched the lot, keeping just a few drawings and plans.

So I guess all I would have to auction off is the chance to play a round with me....something I wouldn't bid a plug nickle for....because trust me, I play with myself all the time, and I'm probably the best judge of a rounds true value.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:00:22 AM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 10:00:30 AM »
Paul,

That brings up an interesting related point. Even back when I had the big office, we spent the week after Xmas cleaning out the files, just because it seemed crazy to pay rent for space to store a bunch of stuff.  We only had so much shelf space.  We tended to keep final drawings and discard all the preliminary sketches, routings, etc.

I always had a pang of guilt about that, but then I figured the number of people who would really be interested in the, say, third routing out of 20 in reaching the final plan would be about 3 out of 6 Billion, not very good odds.  But, I figured some historian would think I ought to pay the money to microfilm them, etc.

Like you, my old files always bring back memories early, but get boring later. Sometimes, I save something one year, and then the next year, wonder why I bothered.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 10:10:35 AM »

As the Tour is in Harbortown this week, are there pete Dye or JN sketches of the course?  I would pay for a print or a lithograph but not half a years salary for an original sketch (or something) of Harbortown.

paul cowley

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 10:20:12 AM »

As the Tour is in Harbortown this week, are there pete Dye or JN sketches of the course?  I would pay for a print or a lithograph but not half a years salary for an original sketch (or something) of Harbortown.

Carl.....if you could find one, you might want to consider paying a half years salary.....because original drawings by either of these two men are among the rarest of birds, just a notch or two below Old Tom himself.

And BTW.....I would be more than willing to bid half a cart fee to have the chance to play with Jeff Brauer at Chambers Bay!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 10:24:30 AM by paul cowley »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »
Paul,

I am sure we can make that happen.  Our round at AAC was a lot of fun, at least for me!  You, maybe not so much, but then you need two rounds together to establish a pattern, no?

Richard Choi

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 10:41:33 AM »
Based on going rate for sketches done by semi-well known artists recently (although the art market has turned for worse), I would say that a good sized artwork (say 20 by 20) can fetch 4 figures in a well attended auction.

Routing sketches by REALLY well know architects like JN or PD would fetch well into 5 figures or more (depending on significance).

The only problem is the nature of your auction. Because you don't know who will be at a small auction like that, you may have a hard time getting a fair market value.

paul cowley

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 11:07:51 AM »
Based on going rate for sketches done by semi-well known artists recently (although the art market has turned for worse), I would say that a good sized artwork (say 20 by 20) can fetch 4 figures in a well attended auction.

Routing sketches by REALLY well know architects like JN or PD would fetch well into 5 figures or more (depending on significance).

The only problem is the nature of your auction. Because you don't know who will be at a small auction like that, you may have a hard time getting a fair market value.

Sothebys had a major auction of a golf equipment collection in the somewhat murky recent past.

Mike_Young

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 01:39:42 PM »
...because trust me, I play with myself all the time, .

I knew it..... ;D ;D ;D
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ian Andrew

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 05:09:36 PM »

I'll only go so far.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back