News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Buck Wolter

The Best Golf Course in America is..........
« on: April 18, 2009, 10:47:57 AM »
John Paul Newport has good article on rankings in today's WSJ.

subscription may be required
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124000759131230357.html

A teaser quote:
In my view, unless you own a hugely expensive new resort course or belong to an elite club that just spent $15 million redoing its masterpiece, there's no reason to treat these lists as anything other than good fun. "It's totally subjective, isn't it?" said Ben Crenshaw last week at the Masters, even though several of the courses he designed with partner Bill Coore, including Sand Hills, have been treated "very, very kindly" by the raters.

"There are certain places and certain types of courses that elicit some people's emotions but don't necessarily affect other people the same way," Mr. Crenshaw said. "It's like looking at a painting. Do you prefer impressionism or do you like abstract painting better?"

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

ed_getka

Re: The Best Golf Course in America is..........
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:54:50 PM »
Interesting article. I would love to see the 1,400+ data points Crane used, and I thought we were into minutiae here. :o
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:24:02 PM »
. . . the one you happen to be walking that particular day.

Rankings are interesting to read and great fodder for discussions.

At the end of the day, 90+% of golfers will never play 5 courses in the top 100 on any list so it doesn't really matter.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:00:29 AM »
"It's totally subjective, isn't it?" said Ben Crenshaw last week at the Masters

Words to keep in mind, during our heated discussions about courses, principles and golf course architects. 

Ash Towe

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »
The one you appreciated the most using the criteria you personally use or the one you would most like to play.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »
It is nice to see his reference to the ONLY rankings that got it right... Zagat!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back