News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ed_Baker

The Essence of Golf Club Atlas
« on: May 22, 2002, 08:30:50 AM »
We, the generally afflicted and addicted devotees of golf course architecture have learned from each other on this website for a few years now. I don't think there is a regular contributor or lurker that hasn't learned something from the discussions and features on the site. The participation of professional architects,superintendents,authors and golf industry executives has provided a depth to the content that is truly unique. But there is an evolving benefit to participation on GCA that is even more remarkable;the growing network of friendships.

I had the extreme good fortune to host another GCA regular at my club yesterday and Lo and Behold, I made another friend.I have had the opportunity to play with several GCA regulars and to a man, they have been truly exceptional people that make the golf that much more fun, and the grille room antics have been memorable.

We all have several "golf acquaintances", guys you meet at the same member- guests or state tournaments year after year and have a great time with them, but that's it, you only see them at the same events.

The guys I have met through GCA have become friends,real friends, people that you stay in touch with, make travel plans around so that you can play together, and look forward to the next reunion with great anticipation. Playing golf with people that appreciate the history of the game and its playing fields adds to the enjoyment of the day more than the casual golfer could imagine.

I hope that many of you are experiencing the same thing, and I look forward to meeting and playing with many more of you in the future.

Play on gentlemen, and enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

redanman

Re: The Essence of Golf Club Atlas
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2002, 08:40:45 AM »
The internet has been a great source of friendship for the rare student of golf architecture.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2002, 08:48:16 AM »
Stealing a direct quote from redanman on the day we met in person after knowing each other though the Internet, "I've yet to meet a "stiff" who's into architecture."

Ed, your observation is spot on, and it's great to have this forum where achitectural afficianados from around the globe can interact and form relationships and real friendships.  

I also have yet to come across any discussion group on any topic on the Internet where the discourse is at such a consistently high level of general respect, thoughtfulness, and genuine passion.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2002, 09:13:47 AM »
Ed:

You're no doubt completely correct in what you say about the friendships created through this website alone.

But I'm hoping for the day that that network of "friends" becomes large enough or strong enough where it starts to really have an impact on architecture itself through collaboration amongst clubs and others involved in golf!

Some say our numbers on here are small and our message is narrow. There is absolutely no question that the number of people out there that support our ideas to a large degree is  many many fold more numerous than our numbers on here! And that's important to know!

And our sometimes referred to "narrowness of opinion" is important too, I think! There's an attraction out there to the things we say and advocate on here architecturally and otherwise, despite the fact they may seem "narrow" to many others, and it's important to know that too!

But it's even more important, and probably for all of us to recognize, that the things we advocate should never be considered by even us to be something that all golf and all architecture should be!

"Golf is a great big game and there really is room in it for everyone and everything" is a true statement--a very true statement!!

It denotes that one of the greatest strengths of golf and its architecture is the differences within it, in my opinion!!

Ultimately, I never want to see the kind of architecture we advocate dominate the world of architecture! I don't think I even care if ultimately it falls far short of a majority!

Ultimately what I would like to see happen starting with these "friendships" you mention and ending with the massive "collaboration" I've always dreamed about is that the distinctions between the different types of architecture can become ever clearer!!

If that time ever comes then the different types of architecture can simply speak for themselves and will co-exist naturally!

It's the attitude and atmosphere that skews and obscures the differences in architecture in an attempt to merge it somehow into one big amalgamation that will probably always be the most troubling to me.

And I'm hoping the ability to make those distinctions clear and to continue to keep them clear will be the essence of Golfclubatlas. Enough "friends" may be able to do that someday.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2002, 09:30:04 AM »
I haven't yet met a single one of you.

But Mike Cirba succinctly explains why I've been here, day after day: "I also have yet to come across any discussion group on any topic on the Internet where the discourse is at such a consistently high level of general respect, thoughtfulness, and genuine passion."

I would add: "on the Internet" is unnecessarily restrictive. I haven't found such groups offline, either.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2002, 05:33:09 PM »
Speaking of friendships from this site I have met but one.....

Tommy Naccarato

As soon as we met we knew we had a connection on philosophy of course architecture and I have to say that I agree with nearly everything we talk about in here.  Except for the "competition ball" issue which I seem to be alone in my belief I share the same views that many of you do.

With that I would like to offer myself for a round of golf with anyone that would like to play in an effort to get to know more of you personally.  I am a Golf Professional on Long Island, NY, so any local guys can reach me via email or at North Hills CC in Manhasset, NY.  Anyone in the NYC area from out of town should feel free at anytime to contact me if they need help in playing a course out here or to set up a round with me.  I have a golf pro's schedule but I still love to play on my days off.  

Please don't hesitate to contact me, I would love to help all of you enjoy NYC area golf as much as I do.  

All of you are definitely gentlemen in the truest sense of the word, even if I don't always agree with you =).

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2002, 07:57:30 PM »
I have a tee time set up in June with a fellow from Arizona whom I've started communicating with because of our mutual interests discovered on this website. Thank you to the one who introduced me to this site(on of your up and coming stars!) and to all of you on this website who draw be back in every day because of your passion and knowledge of the game and the land it is played on.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2002, 08:03:10 PM »
Ed Baker,

I've met and played golf with a number of people, through this site, and have enjoyed every occassion and everyone I've met.

Reminiscent of the Pizza Man, the other night I was having dinner with Sean (SPDB), Brad Miller, Chipoat, TEPaul, and GeoffC at a restaurant in New York City.  As we were discussing some specific issues and scaning some aerials, the waiters, who appeared to be golf enthusiasts looked over the aerials and started to comment, specifically about cart paths.

I had no doubt that we could have turned them into GCA junkies in the time it takes for TEPaul to make a short post  ;D

I think if you're a golfer, this is the next contagious stage, golf course architecture.

I think we're brought together by our common love for the game and architecture.  I would have said classic architecture, but there are those on the site that adhere to the revisionist school, so I thought I would avoid excluding them.

While we may differ, as Jeff Forsten pointed out, we still share the love of the study and discussion of golf course architecture.  This love, discussion and study may not be shared with those in our immediate company or family, causing friction or secretive lurking and posting, proof positive of one's love and willingness to take risks, all in the name of GCA.

As Tom Paul pointed out, it would be an admirable goal to positively influence those who would alter their courses.  
To be the genesis for the restoration of holes or courses adversely altered in the past.  Hopefully, with time and growing numbers of participants or lurkers, Tom Paul's dream will become a reality.

The constructive side of GCA is, the learning never stops !

Lou Duran

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2002, 07:49:09 AM »
Well said, gentlemen.  Prior to discovering this site, my interest in the game was waning.  My dreams of one day building and operating an affordable daily-fee course with architectural merit were dashed by the realities of an overbuilt market and little growth in demand.  My own game was at a low point, and I found that I had very few friends at my club who seemed to have similar interests in golf beyond our weekend game.

Since gca.com, I've expanded my reading (and library) greatly.  During the Barona outing, I met 35+ GCAers, and as redanman noted, they were all great guys.  My game is coming back a little bit, and I am at least thinking again about a development concept that will bring quality golf to the economically sensitive player.  As I prepare to meet a few more gca enthusiasts in the coming weeks, I am extremely thankful for this site.

BTW, this may be a small step in Tom Paul's direction, but I got a call this week from the Superintendent at Barona Creek in response to a thank you letter (with a few, relatively minor suggestions) that I had sent him.  Sandy informed me that they've started a project to provide walking paths from greens to tees through the natives.  Apparently, a number of us brought this up to him during and after the outing.  This small step will facilitate walking, which not only has considerable health benefits, but will allow the player to gain a better appreciation of the great architectural merit that Barona Creek offers.  

brad_miller

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2002, 07:55:57 AM »
NEW FRIENDSHIPS :)

THuckaby2

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2002, 08:48:42 AM »
All I can say is that redanman has it right and my batting average is still 1.000 in terms of people turning out to be great in person... I can ESPECIALLY say this after a round the other day at the wonderful Charles River CC....

My wife continues to think I'm nuts doing all these get togethers... but she's weakening as she comes to understand some of the friendships I've made....

In any case, WELL SAID Mr. Baker.  ALL of it.

TH

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2002, 08:43:29 PM »
After 10 years of interest in architecture and reading many of the books we all seem to have, I stumbled on this site last August and it has opened up a whole new world of golf to me. To have met so many great guys with a common interest and be able to get together to play golf and talk about the courses we see and learn from has been so incredible. Meeting so many guys at Barona was fun and a memorable weekend and I look forward to meeting some of the east coast guys in a few weeks courtesy of Matt Ward's endeavors. A special thanks to all who have invited me out to play and be able to learn more about some of the great courses I thought I would never see.

Thanks most of all to Ran for providing this forum. :D
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2002, 09:04:52 PM »
Joe,
I'm looking forward to teeing it up with you. Your right, we have never met, but I'm sure we will have a great time. If their are any other GCA'ers in the Northern Michigan area, I will be in Traverse City from June 29th thru July 4th and my wife is allowing me 2 days of golf.

I can only echo what others have said. I've had the opportunity to play at two different get togethers, Barona and Rustic Canyon, and what a treat to play with people who love the game and it's courses as much as I.  

There is an open invitation to anyone who ever travels to Tucson. Look me up and we can debate the merits of desert golf.  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back