News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

The Post-Tournament Interviews
« on: April 13, 2009, 12:26:04 AM »
I really hate it when the press is critical of players that don't stick around after a difficult or frustrating round to answer questions.

But having said that, it really does impress me the way that Phil Mickelson, Kenny Perry, and Chad Campbell conducted themselves after the Masters--patiently, honestly, and openly answering questions following their rounds.  And they didn't just do it for television, but for the writers and local media too.

Highlights of their interviews included Phil commenting on how the line of Tiger's putt on 15 surprised him, how it undermined his read, and how he allowed it to affect his stroke.  He flat out confessed that he hit a bad putt because he couldn't convince himself to commit to the line.

Kenny Perry commented on why his chip on 17 was so poor.  He explained that he has difficulty controlling his right hand during chips when under pressure.  He even pointed out two previous times (in another tournament) where he allowed his nerves to affect his chips detrimentally.

Chad Campbell talked about how it hurts to see his wife struggling with the outcome, but also how grateful he is that she seems to live and die by each shot.

Those are just a few arbitrary comments--and I've obviously paraphrased them gratuitously.  It's refreshing, nonetheless, to listen to such candid comments.

Scott Warren

Re: The Post-Tournament Interviews
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 03:24:21 AM »
I saw all three and agree, especially when you compare them to Woods' brief chat. Phil cops way too much grief for a guy with that much class.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 07:49:29 AM »
The Golf Channel kept hyping Sergio's allegedly very controversial post tournament comments about Augusta.  Kelly: "You won't want to miss this."  I hung around for a while, then gave up without hearing them.  What did I miss?

Anthony Gray

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »

A lot of class.

Anthony

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 09:12:02 AM »
The Golf Channel kept hyping Sergio's allegedly very controversial post tournament comments about Augusta.  Kelly: "You won't want to miss this."  I hung around for a while, then gave up without hearing them.  What did I miss?

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2009/4/13/i-dont-care-they-can-do-whatever-they-want-i-just-come-her-a.html

Following Sergio Garcia's Masters final round 74, a Golf Channel reporter or producer stuck a microphone in front of the 29-year-old reigning Players PLAYERS champion, who blasted Augusta National and the Masters.

"I don't like it to tell you the truth. I don't think it's fair. It's too tricky. It's too much of a guessing game."

And...

"I don't care, they can do whatever they want. I just come here and play and then go home.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Tom Yost

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2009/4/13/i-dont-care-they-can-do-whatever-they-want-i-just-come-her-a.html

Following Sergio Garcia's Masters final round 74, a Golf Channel reporter or producer stuck a microphone in front of the 29-year-old reigning Players PLAYERS champion, who blasted Augusta National and the Masters.

"I don't like it to tell you the truth. I don't think it's fair. It's too tricky. It's too much of a guessing game."

And...

"I don't care, they can do whatever they want. I just come here and play and then go home.

Perhaps he can get a game with Gary McCord during Masters week in the future.   ;)

Robert Kimball

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:33:58 AM »

And...

Oh, what I would give to see Cliff Roberts deal with this guy.

JSlonis

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:52:24 AM »

And...

There might be an extra spot in next year's tournament.  Any chance Sergio's invite "gets lost in the mail"?  Somebody ought to coach him better in the PR department.  He's a disaster with the media after these Major's.  Given his comments and attitiude, it really isn't surprising that he hasn't won a biggie.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 11:32:48 AM by JSlonis »

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 11:10:43 AM »

There might be an extra spot in next year's tournament.  Any chance Sergio's invite "gets lost in the mail"?  Somebody ought to coach him better in th PR department.  He's a disaster with the media after these Major's.  Given his comments and attitiude, it really isn't surprising that he hasn't won a biggie.

Maybe he'll be the next Frank Stranahan and have his invitation rescinded.

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 11:18:04 AM »
Garcia showed why I don't think he'll ever win a major and Perry showed why I was rooting for him. Phil's comments were interesting as well, and I imagine I'd enjoy Cabrera's thoughts if I could speak Spanish... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PThomas

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:20:36 AM »

There might be an extra spot in next year's tournament.  Any chance Sergio's invite "gets lost in the mail"?  Somebody ought to coach him better in th PR department.  He's a disaster with the media after these Major's.  Given his comments and attitiude, it really isn't surprising that he hasn't won a biggie.

that really would be sweet...its not like its the first time he's acted like this....stay home and count your money Sergio if you can't handle the conditions like a champion does
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 01:09:12 PM »

Why bother?  The tournament seems to drive him batty.  The best revenge is to keep inviting him - he can't exactly turn it down.

From the broader architectural perspective, I guess this is an example that certain courses can completely flummox certain players.  Interestingly enough, Augusta probably gives Phil and Tiger their best shots at winning.  I'm sure they would be content with ANGC hosting 5 events each year.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 04:54:20 PM »
There was a story just pre the Masters that the long time TV prodcer Frank Chirkinian(Sp?) used to beg them to drop the Butlers Cabins sequence.

I'm surprised no one has comented on how AWFUL it was this year.  They drag in an interpreter and Jim Nantz can't produce a single one sentence question to ask?  I was squirming throughout...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 05:00:55 PM »
Jim Nantz may have once been a professional sports broadcaster but he has become a sad parody of himself. He just bloviates on and on and on no matter the occasion. Even a simple, supposedly 3-second, segue back from a commercial break turns into a mini-marathon of Nantzery.

David Kelly

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 05:03:50 PM »
I don't get you guys.

We constantly bash the course and the way it has been changed but when one guy  (who has actually played  it) speaks his mind and doesn't fall into lockstep with all the other players who do nothing but genuflect towards Augusta, everyone can't wait to bash him.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

JLahrman

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
Nantz overdoes it, no question about that.  And the Butler Cabin green jacket presentation should go the way of the dinosaur.  That being said, I didn't feel Nantz was any worse than usual this year.  Regarding the interview, Cabrera's English is good, he didn't need the questions to be translated.  I think Cabrera just likes to express his answers in Spanish and I can't say I blame him.

I don't get you guys.

We constantly bash the course and the way it has been changed but when one guy  (who has actually played  it) speaks his mind and doesn't fall into lockstep with all the other players who do nothing but genuflect towards Augusta, everyone can't wait to bash him.

I welcome players who speak their mind - the more personality the better and I don't mind bad guys out there.  But this just came off as a temper tantrum.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:06:26 PM by JAL »

PThomas

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 05:11:50 PM »
 Regarding the interview, Cabrera's English is good, he didn't need the questions to be translated.  

unlike Sammy Sosa, who suddenly forgot his English when he appeared in front of Congress  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Phil Benedict

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »
Jim Nantz may have once been a professional sports broadcaster but he has become a sad parody of himself. He just bloviates on and on and on no matter the occasion. Even a simple, supposedly 3-second, segue back from a commercial break turns into a mini-marathon of Nantzery.

Nantz was on local sports talk radio on Friday after the second round had started but before the ESPN broadcast.  He was much more opinionated than he gets on the air, but he mostly got it wrong on how the round would play out.  When the host (Mike Francesa) mentioned that Tiger wasn't making a move, Nantz said that wasn't a problem because the field was going to come back to him due to the windy conditions.  Didn't happen.  He said Phil would in for a rough day (he shot four under) and that Campbell's tendency to fall come back to the pack was a bad sign for the weekend.  Campbell did rather well until the first playoff hole.

Nantz is where he is because of his soothing voice and looks, not his expertise.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 06:30:40 PM »
Nantz may be syrupy and cliche ridden but...

I'd take him any day over the Village Idiot Johnny M.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back