News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

WORST practice areas are...
« on: April 10, 2009, 10:06:40 AM »
no answering if you saw the same list i am reading from!

Jerry Tarde lists his top 10 worst practice areas on the "greatest" courses....your guesses please!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Niall Hay

Re: WORST practice areas are...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:13:36 AM »
Shoreacres

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:17:28 AM »
Shoreacres

nope

clue: 7 on the east coast and 3 on the west...so maybe Jerry hasn't played any midwestern golf!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
I certainly don't want to offend anyone, most of all my host on the great day I spent there a couple of years ago, but NGLA's practice area is not very good.  It was probably really good when CBM originally designed it with Redan, Short and Eden greens as targets.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:20:47 AM »
I don't remember a practice area at Bel-Air, but when I played in a college match there in 1962, Dean Martin was hitting two irons across the barranca by the clubhouse to a caddy on the other side!  ;D  Beautiful swing and very friendly when we went over to visit.

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 10:23:51 AM »
1 out of 2 Ace:  NGLA is #6

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 10:38:31 AM »
Garden City
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:46:04 AM »

Niall Hay

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:49:38 AM »
Cypress or SFGC?

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »
I don't think it's the worst I've seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if CPC was on there. I'd put Pebble on there. You have to get on a shuttle down the street and it's really ho hum.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 10:52:23 AM »
If he lists Cypress Point, well he's wrong.  Range is pretty darn cool and serves its purposes perfectly.... also has very cool short game areas left of 1 and right of 18. Some do cite this (as Niall just did and like David I wouldn't be surprised if Tarde does) but it's likely because they don't notice the short game areas or really look at the range... and don't ask me how I got a good look at it (huge push off 1 tee).

;D

SFGC to me didn't seem bad at all either... muni-ish range, true... but also a HUGE short game area and darn fine putting green... there have to be worse than this.....

Concur with Pebble though - far away and no great shakes when you get there.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »
They are overrated anyhow. Stretch a little (maybe), swing two clubs and get on with it.

PThomas

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 10:54:11 AM »
no Medinah Shiv...remember all of his choices are on/near the coasts

CPC is #10, PB #9

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 10:55:53 AM »
They are overrated anyhow. Stretch a little (maybe), swing two clubs and get on with it.

Over-rated for visitors, agreed.  Get on with it - right on.

But for a home club, well... I'd like what they have at MPCC, for example.  There would have to be times there's not time nor logistics to play golf holes, thus a fine place to spend an hour practicing would have value to me.

CPC at #10 is stupid.  The article loses all credibility.

;D

Niall Hay

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
If he lists Cypress Point, well he's wrong.  Range is pretty darn cool and serves its purposes perfectly.... also has very cool short game areas left of 1 and right of 18. Some do cite this (as Niall just did and like David I wouldn't be surprised if Tarde does) but it's likely because they don't notice the short game areas or really look at the range... and don't ask me how I got a good look at it (huge push off 1 tee).

;D

SFGC to me didn't seem bad at all either... muni-ish range, true... but also a HUGE short game area and darn fine putting green... there have to be worse than this.....

I'm not saying SFGC or CPC as my own opinion, guessing what someone had listed (obviously noteworthy).....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 11:01:41 AM »
Niall - gotcha - but as you see, well... if Schmidt and I agree on something, well it has to be true.

I had no doubt it WOULD be listed.  I am just saying it's wrong that it is.

BTW how about Shinnecock Hills... it's a wild guess as my one time there we did the Lloyd Cole thing.. but I don't remember even seeing a practice area...

Andy Silis

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 11:05:18 AM »
Winged Foot and Bethpage had to have made that list!

PThomas

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
Winged Foot and Bethpage had to have made that list!

both correct!  WF , he says, allows no woods and uses artifical turf...Bethpage has "crooked" mats he says

no SH Huck

David Stamm

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 11:11:28 AM »
Niall - gotcha - but as you see, well... if Schmidt and I agree on something, well it has to be true.

I had no doubt it WOULD be listed.  I am just saying it's wrong that it is.

BTW how about Shinnecock Hills... it's a wild guess as my one time there we did the Lloyd Cole thing.. but I don't remember even seeing a practice area...

I haven't played there, but I know that part of the old CBM/Raynor course there is part of the range at Shinny, per TN.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 11:12:41 AM »

Over-rated for visitors, agreed.  Get on with it - right on.

But for a home club, well... I'd like what they have at MPCC, for example.  There would have to be times there's not time nor logistics to play golf holes, thus a fine place to spend an hour practicing would have value to me.

CPC at #10 is stupid.  The article loses all credibility.

;D

Tom

I was joking, sort of... I love to do exactly that, but not too many blue collar clubs (ours is deep, deep blue) have even decent practice facilities - buying adjacent property isn't an option without $$$. What I do is jump from hole to hole avoiding the traffic - but on a very busy day that is impossible. What most courses could afford, and have space for, is a short game practice area. That would be a great addition to many rudimentary set ups.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 11:14:21 AM by Lloyd_Cole »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 11:14:49 AM »
David - I saw that at SH - forgive me if I blaspheme but man it sure didn't look like much more than a giant field of hay....

;D

Lloyd - we be copacetic on this for sure.  Totally understood no large practice ranges at many clubs, and I too could live without them.  But if it can be done, give me a fine short game area... I can imagine spending many happy (or unhappy) hours there.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »
So whats the list so far other than WF and Bethpage?

Is CPC or SFGC on this list?

PThomas

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 11:43:46 AM »
so far people have correctly guessed:

1. WF
3. Bethpage
5. NGLA
9. PB
10. CPC

1 more from the west coast

Kalen Braley

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2009, 11:45:21 AM »
Riveria on the West Coast?  Or Perhaps Torrey?

Niall Hay

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back