News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Swampland/Wetlands Courses
« on: April 08, 2009, 09:35:35 PM »
I've finally come up with a common thread for some of the RTJ Jr. and Roger Rulewich courses I've played (and despised)...wetlands-dominated.  They are not solely parkland courses, although that might be their predominant assignment.

Next question:  Are these scions of RTJ Sr. the only ones who will tackle properties hopelessly dominated by nature's forced carries?  I've yet to hear of a property developed by C & C, Doak, or other fast and firm architects that battles the swamp element like these do...which leads to ...

What would one of these designers have done with a property like Kaluhyat at Turning Stone, Fox Hopyard or Wallingford Tradition in CT, or the myriad "Trail" courses in Alabama?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

jeffwarne

Re: Swampland/Wetlands Courses
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:45:28 PM »
passed
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 07:19:22 AM »
I've yet to hear of a property developed by C & C, Doak, or other fast and firm architects that battles the swamp element like these do...which leads to ...

Tom Doak competed for the Old Kinderhook job against Rees Jones which has wetlands. He has a routing of the course that is different from Rees that he has not shared with the treehouse. Tom??

By the way Beechtree has/had some wetlands issues and they are plowing that course up. Maybe Doak just sucks at wetlands, because clearing he is willing!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 06:17:13 PM »
Passed?  Really, Jeff?  They can be that selective?  Doubt it.

Interesting that Rees got OK over Doak.  Now I HAVE to play it.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
Fox Hopyard is one of my least favorite courses.  Way too many forced carries.  Maybe just too difficult for my game, as many individual holes may be quite good, but as a whole I too will pass.  It is the antithesis of  fun.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back