News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Ralston

Pete Dye Course at French Lich
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:54:45 AM »
I have not noticed any commentary here on the Dye course at French Lick. I see that it will open on April 24. Here is the website with some very impressive [imho] pix as well as information. As a resort, they provide packages.

http://www.frenchlick.com/golf/peteDye/index.jsp

Looking forward to hearing comments when someone here plays it. Sure looks fun.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Jim Colton

Re: Pete Dye Course at French Lich
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
It looks like a great property for golf, but I'm not really feeling the 'gum drop' bunkers.  Looks like a very challenging course.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »
By the sounds of it the location and the views out with the course are fantastic but the aesthetics of the course are not really to my liking.  I am not sure what he had in mind but why are some of the bunkers shaped like mini volcano’s, is this a nod to the surrounding mountains or something?  It was supposedly designed on a napkin was it still ruffled when he passed it to the construction crew.

From the pictures most of the holes seem to have a very similar tee shot; tight, narrow and not much room.  Looks to be a bit of slog.

John Nixon

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:12:47 AM »
At this spring's Indiana Golf Show I spent a few minutes talking to the course's rep about it - the one thing he seemed most intent on my understanding was that it's a very, very hard course.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:25:52 AM »
Despite individual opinions on the Dye course here, the French Lick Resort certainly seems to have a new course very distinctive from the old Ross course. This is good.

The Ross course looks particularly excellent in the photos at the resort's web site. Has it been worked on, architecturally, over recent years? It appears to have been "freshened up".
jeffmingay.com

John Nixon

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »

The Ross course looks particularly excellent in the photos at the resort's web site. Has it been worked on, architecturally, over recent years? It appears to have been "freshened up".

Yes, it's been renovated, and discussed, here. A search should turn it up.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:37:36 AM by John Nixon »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 07:18:29 AM »
I have not noticed any commentary here on the Dye course at French Lick. I see that it will open on April 24. Here is the website with some very impressive [imho] pix as well as information. As a resort, they provide packages.

Doug

Hurts my eyes just looking at that abombination. Is Pete running out of ideas?

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 08:03:17 AM »
From the pictures that were posted here last year of the construction site it looked like it was going to be a pretty neat.

Isn't the green fee going to be upwards of $200? Sounds like they are trying to reinvent the place on a Kohler-like atmosphere.
H.P.S.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 09:09:34 AM »
From the pictures that were posted here last year of the construction site it looked like it was going to be a pretty neat.

Isn't the green fee going to be upwards of $200? Sounds like they are trying to reinvent the place on a Kohler-like atmosphere.

Pat;

Look at the packages to get an idea of the greens fees. I suspect you cannot get a tee time [at least for a while] without buying lodging, as is common at other resorts.

Looks to me like $300+.

If the economy gets a lot better, this 'might' work. Otherwise, I have strong doubts.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »

Pat;

Look at the packages to get an idea of the greens fees. I suspect you cannot get a tee time [at least for a while] without buying lodging, as is common at other resorts.

Looks to me like $300+.

If the economy gets a lot better, this 'might' work. Otherwise, I have strong doubts.

Doug

I agree it may be tough for the resort, it looks like they have pumped a ton of money into the place. Most likely with debt.
H.P.S.

Will Haskett

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 10:15:40 AM »
It looks like the more typical modern Dye courses, with over-undulation and carnival-ride greens. Not my favorite type of course to play, unfortunately. (Although, at that price, I'll never play it)

The property down there is amazing, which is why I love the Ross course. You shouldn't need to move much dirt with the natural contours of the land.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 10:38:46 AM »

Doug

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

I guess one mans abomination is another ones treasure. It looks like a hoot. Tony, you seriously can't sit here and tell me this doesn't look about 10 X's more interesting then the rest of work that is opening up out there. (with a few exceptions) Your words are a little strong for only looking at 5-6 pictures on the website? Or have u seen this baby.

Jeff, Lee Schmidt worked on the renovation about two years ago. I don't know much about the work, the project was completed before I came on-board.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 01:07:46 PM »
Have you played Eagle Eye, the wonderful course in Michigan? It is NOT minimalist, but is great fun nonetheless. They moved some earth, though.

Well this looks like Eagle Eye plus! And remember, Lutzke (sp?), who did EE, was a Dye disciple, right? [Isn't everyone in the biz?]

Looks like 'a hoot' to me, too.

Doug

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 01:41:33 PM »

Doug

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

I guess one mans abomination is another ones treasure. It looks like a hoot. Tony, you seriously can't sit here and tell me this doesn't look about 10 X's more interesting then the rest of work that is opening up out there. (with a few exceptions) Your words are a little strong for only looking at 5-6 pictures on the website? Or have u seen this baby.

Jeff, Lee Schmidt worked on the renovation about two years ago. I don't know much about the work, the project was completed before I came on-board.

Ryan,
  Looks like a hoot? Are you saying that you think that you could take a steady diet of this course? I worked at Long Cove for 4 years, played Harbor Town MANY times, played Mr. Dyes course at Colleton River (Which I believe is the best of the 3, but the volcano bunkers and mounding are over the top) and Hampton Hall. I think that he's trying too hard to create something out of nothing. Even the new Dyes course at Sea Pines doesnt have those crazy earth forms. I just think that he's trying too hard and moving WAY TOO much dirt and creating maintenance NITEMARES! Anything C&C has done in the last 2 years looks more interesting, realistic and straight forward. Even Doak's stuff looks much "cleaner' to my eye. Hell, I'll take some of Fazio's stuff-Gozzer Ranch, being one.
  Ryan, have you seen the course?
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 02:33:29 PM »
In regards to the expense of the GC, and how viable the place is a destination for travelers, let me add this:

A few months ago I played golf with a wealthy, well-traveled individual, who among other business ventures, owns the Taylor-Made Custom-Fitting franchises, known as "The Kingdom."

On the subject of the French Lick Resort, he commented that it was one of the finest hotel experiences he has ever enjoyed, and that he has stayed in many of the world's best luxury hotels.

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 02:56:40 PM »
Regarding the gumdrop/volcano bunkers, I sort of like them. Is it the best aesthetic? No. Is it that effective a hazard? Maintenance friendly?  No and no again.  What I like about it is that it is simply original and unique.  I'm all for always pushing our collective creative minds. 
Also, from what I remember talking to Chris Lutzke when I went down there, it was actually the construction crew that came up with the idea.  Pete gave them free reign, and when he saw it he like the way the shadows played off of them.  Also they look a lot better from the ground than the aerial photos on the site.  I'll post some of my photos if I get the chance

It looks like it will be very, very difficult to play.  Some of the fairways are literally ribbons sitting above canyons.  The green complexes and their surrounds were well done with a lot of movement that transitioned quite well from the relatively tame putting surface interiors to the more dramatic surrounds.  Could be some short game fun to be had.

Will,
If you go and experience the site in person, you would see that a lot of earth moving was necessary; the site is that dramatic.  That said, there is a lot of additional shaping that could be debated either way.  If the site was more like the Ross Course, which also appeals to my tastes more, minimalism could have should have ruled the day.

"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »
When I visited I was blown away by the views from the course.  They are world-class.  The holes could be argued. 

I'll put it this way, only Pete Dye would try to pull something off like this course.  Aside from the gumdrop bunkers, there are a lot of consistent elements to his other work.

Chris

Matt Kardash

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 07:53:59 PM »
Also, from what I remember talking to Chris Lutzke when I went down there, it was actually the construction crew that came up with the idea.  Pete gave them free reign, and when he saw it he like the way the shadows played off of them. 

To say it was the construction crews idea is a bit of a stetch in the sense that Dye has been making courses with these types of bunkers for years.  The crew probably just figured it's what Pete likes!

The site definitley seems interesting. The look of the course is sure to be polarizing. I kind of like it though. You can't say Dye is vanilla and playing it safe here.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

C. Squier

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 08:14:35 PM »
Matt, took the words right out of my mouth.....Dye has been doing bunkers like that for decades.  Don't know why it's news now.  Part of the fun of a Dye course is never having an even lie, really makes shotmaking fun. 

Rob Rigg

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 08:26:01 PM »
- Views - Spectacular
- Course - Looks narrow and difficult
- Cart Paths - Never seen a course where they are so evident and such an eyesore
- Volcano Bunker - really necessary?
- Natural - not at all

Interest in playing - certainly, it is always tough to judge from a few photos - but the course looks very manufactured.

PThomas

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 09:03:50 PM »
i'm digging the volcanoes...how often are those built nowadays?
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »
Didn't we have a thread recently about inverted, convex, volcano type bunkers?   

I guess Pete Dye is certainly successful at creating an impression...here the course is not even open yet and we're hearing some strong opinions expressed.

I do hear Anthony's maintenance concerns pretty loud and clear, that's for sure.

Brian Joines

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:45 PM »
- Views - Spectacular
- Cart Paths - Never seen a course where they are so evident and such an eyesore
- Natural - not at all

Interest in playing - certainly, it is always tough to judge from a few photos - but the course looks very manufactured.

Sadly, the cart paths at the Ross course are quite obtrusive as well.

PThomas

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 09:58:26 PM »
- Views - Spectacular
- Natural - not at all

Sadly, the cart paths at the Ross course are quite obtrusive as well.

Brian is quite correct, they are quite hideous
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 10:47:45 PM »

Doug

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Colonial CC
Ft. Worth, TX

Ryan,
  Looks like a hoot? Are you saying that you think that you could take a steady diet of this course? I worked at Long Cove for 4 years, played Harbor Town MANY times, played Mr. Dyes course at Colleton River (Which I believe is the best of the 3, but the volcano bunkers and mounding are over the top) and Hampton Hall. I think that he's trying too hard to create something out of nothing. Even the new Dyes course at Sea Pines doesnt have those crazy earth forms. I just think that he's trying too hard and moving WAY TOO much dirt and creating maintenance NITEMARES! Anything C&C has done in the last 2 years looks more interesting, realistic and straight forward. Even Doak's stuff looks much "cleaner' to my eye. Hell, I'll take some of Fazio's stuff-Gozzer Ranch, being one.
  Ryan, have you seen the course?

- Looks like it hoot???? Yes it "looks" like a lot of fun, as most Dye courses are.
-I can take a steady diet of most courses as long as they are interesting. I love golf.
-Perhaps he is going way over the top because that is what the owner wanted? I just don't know. Perhaps he doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks and just wanted to do it. Maybe this was his way of distinguising this course from some of his others? Sounds like its working ehh?

I can see how its polarizing and why some people wont like it, of course you are entitled to that opinion. And if you think its an abomination, I just want to know why or how? Its art and should be looked at as that. You should just tell us why you think that way. IMO its the only fair way to criticize.  And from the sounds of it, you have only seen pictures, I just don't think you are being fair as far as being a vocal critic.

-No way in hell I am defending Dye for the maintenance nightmares. I pity anyone on the bunker / fly mow crew there. Good luck!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back